PDA

View Full Version : May Competition 2016

Buckeye
19-04-16, 07:48
The time has come, the Walrus said, to talk of many things of shoes and ships and fountain pens of cabbages and kings and why the sea is boiling hot and whether pigs have wings. Okay that's enough philosophy for today.

Yesterday I received the first pen entry into May's Competition, so come on, get your fingers out and start getting your Competition Entry ready or if you have already finished it, get it over to me.

If you are new to the forum you can enter the Competition if you have a post count of 25, which is easily and quickly achievable, just introduce yourself and ask a few question. Here is what the competition is all about.

Your mission, if you decide to accept it, is to produce a pen or pencil from any material, but must include metal other than the kit parts. You could segment the blank using metal and other materials, make watch part blanks or the whole blank could be metal. The Oyster is yours, to decide what the pen or pencil will look like, be as innovative as you wish.

The competition will end on 31st. May 2016 which means I must have your photos before midnight on the 31st. May 2016. If I get them even 1 minute into June 1st. 2016 then your entry will not be included in the competition.

I will upload all the images on the 1st. June 2016, and all members will have 5 days to vote for the pen or pencil they think should win the competition, you may not vote for your own creation and you must not show your pen/pencil to any other member, it must not be shown on any other website before the end of the competition.

If you have any questions please ask.

You can use up to 3 images of your creation if you think they show it off more fully, but you must stick to the rules below.

The Prizes

Click here (http://www.penturners.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16273&p=245490#post245490)

The Rules for the Competition.

1. You must have made 25 posts by the time you enter the competition.
2. You may enter 1 pen or pencil into the competition and it must be your own work and at least part of it must be turned on a lathe.
3. Your photographs must be taken on a clean piece of white plain paper which does not have a texture or creases, photocopy paper is ideal.
4. You must not use any props in the photographs.
5. Your photographs must show the pen in a horizontal position as shown below.
6. Your images must be 800 pixels wide.
7. I must have your final photographs before midnight on the 31st. May 2016

If you PM me your images to enter the competition and later make a better pen you can PM me the photos of the new pen or pencil and I will discard the original images, that way you can be sure that you are in the competition with your first pen and if you have time to make another which you think is better you can use that one as long as I have it before the deadline.

Make sure that you keep a hi res photograph of your entry as the winner will also receive a penturners.co.uk Awards Certificate with an image of your pen. The Awards certificate is A4 and can be printed out, if you wish to use it on your craft stall, by the likes of snapmad.com or photobox.co.uk, snapmad.com would be the cheaper option if you spend 2.99 as the postage will be free, photo box will charge a minimum of 2.99 postage.

I will tweak colour, density and white balance of your images, if you request it, when you PM them to me.

chas_41_uk
20-04-16, 12:15
But it's not even May yet :thinks::rolling:
Disqualification for jumping the gun :wink::funny::whistling:

Penpal
20-04-16, 13:03
May the best person win.

Peter.

Woody
20-04-16, 14:36
Made me blank today Peter hope to turn it tomorrow

Lons
20-04-16, 15:40
Disqualification for jumping the gun :wink::funny::whistling:

:nonono::nonono: Should get an award for getting his finger out and beating Woody for a change.:funny:

Buckeye
20-04-16, 16:28
Disqualification for jumping the gun

I was asked if it was too soon and I accepted it into the competition:thumbs:

May the best person win.

I think you mean may the best pen win:thumbs:

Made me blank today Peter hope to turn it tomorrow

Only one, I look forward to it:thumbs: but you are not first in this time, someone has usurped you, now who can that bugger be:thinks:

:nonono::nonono: Should get an award for getting his finger out and beating Woody for a change.:funny:

That's not a bad idea, some kind of award for being first in with an entry, I will have a think about that for the next competition. Thanks for the idea:banana:

Peter

Woody
20-04-16, 16:54
Well mine is made but I dont like it so I may have to make another one

Buckeye
20-04-16, 17:23

If you really don't like it, you have enough time to turn a thousand or so:superted: You could always put it up for auction to those who don't have time to make their own, obviously you can't show it to them first:whistling:

Peter

Lons
20-04-16, 17:35

I used that excuse once for being late Woody :winking::funny:

Penpal
20-04-16, 22:45
Sorry what I mean is clear May :funny: the best Person win it takes a person to qualify for the entry and the making. All in fun.

Peter.

wm460
21-04-16, 07:14
Fleck I am orf to Mildura.:rant::rant::rant:.

Buckeye
22-04-16, 07:14
Happy belated Birthday to the Queen, if you are reading this Ma'am you still have time to enter the competition.

We now have two pens entered into the competition:thumbs::thumbs:

There is a weekend coming up and if you haven't been in the workshop for a while now is your chance to get in there with a vengeance and make some exquisite offering to the competition. There is just over a week before the official start of the competition. Don't forget the May competition will start soon so get a head start and make a blank that is or has metal in it. You could try one of these if you can't think of anything else.

Peter

Penpal
22-04-16, 21:24
Always another way to nail it. It would be great to have Skiprat a UK genius in our forum The screw pen reminded me of his work with Stainless bolts he has brought to an art form.

Peter.

Jim
23-04-16, 08:25
Hopefully i can get an entry in for this one Peter .. Well done my friend .. :thumbs:

Jim
23-04-16, 08:26
Happy belated Birthday to the Queen, if you are reading this Ma'am you still have time to enter the competition.

We now have two pens entered into the competition:thumbs::thumbs:

There is a weekend coming up and if you haven't been in the workshop for a while now is your chance to get in there with a vengeance and make some exquisite offering to the competition. There is just over a week before the official start of the competition. Don't forget the May competition will start soon so get a head start and make a blank that is or has metal in it. You could try one of these if you can't think of anything else.

Peter

Is there a tutorial on this one Peter .. Very clever indeed .. :thumbs:

Buckeye
23-04-16, 08:38
Is there a tutorial on this one Peter .. Very clever indeed .. :thumbs:

There is, but I will have to hunt around for it.

I have posted it in Your Tips and Tricks (http://www.penturners.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16306&p=243927#post243927) so we don't get thread drift here.
Peter

Buckeye
23-04-16, 10:08
If you need an any ideas for your entry into May's competition here is a nice one by jimjam (http://www.penturners.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1208&p=11685#post11685)

Happy St. Georges Day:thumbs:

Peter

Buckeye
29-04-16, 16:47
Okay, serious business now, May's competition officially starts in two days time, but as the weekend approaches make sure you stand your ground and don't allow any shopping trips to interfere with your shed time, unless it is for new toys for the shed.

For newer members, click here (http://www.penturners.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16273&p=243506#post243506) to see what this competition is all about and click here (http://www.penturners.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16145&p=241607#post241607) to see past and future competitions. If you are new to the Forum you still have plenty of time to qualify with 25 posts to enter the competition, just introduce yourself and ask a few questions, you only need 25 posts by the time the competition closes, so get your pen made and get it entered.

Will this be the first time that we have had a female turner enter the competitions, I am referring to Ruth, if you need any help/ideas, Ruth, please ask as it would be nice to see you enter the competition. What about the Suppliers in the Seller Forums (http://www.penturners.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=35) will this be the first competition on the Forum that any of them have entered, if you need any help/ideas also please don't hesitate to ask.

Peter

Penpal
29-04-16, 17:35
Anticipation watch for the clues such a wide open subject sure to increase the entries.

Peter.

Buckeye
01-05-16, 21:43
The May Competition is officially underway as of today.

There will be two Prizes on Offer, if there are 15 entries or more then the Winner can choose either of the prizes which are 40.00 to your Paypal Account or the blanks below, made by Jim. If there are less than 15 entries, but more than 5 then only the 40.00 will go to the winner and those lovely blanks will go into another competition.

I have added some delrin or similar cones for CA application to pen blanks for someone who has never entered one of the Competition and 3 sets of two shell cases, again for anyone who has not entered one of our Competitions before, so the first new entrant to PM me their photos of their pen for the competition will have a choice of 6 Australian Burr Pen blanks as seen here (http://www.penturners.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16551&p=247428#post247428), the Delrin Cones or a set of 2 shell cases and the 2nd. 3rd. and 4th and 5th.. new entrant can have a set of whatever is left. I will announce who gets the blanks, cones and shell cases when the competition closes.

Peter

Penpal
01-05-16, 22:26
They turned nicely into the round Jim.

Peter.

wm460
02-05-16, 12:45
The May Competition is officially underway as of today.

There will be two Prizes on Offer, if there are 15 entries or more then the Winner can choose either of the prizes which are 40.00 to your Paypal Account or the blanks below, made by Jim. If there are less than 15 entries then only the 40.00 will go to the winner and those lovely blanks will go into another competition.

Peter

Thats it I am heading for home tomorrow.:drool::drool:

Woody
02-05-16, 13:49
Thats it I have got to get me mits on some of them love em wow Jim your the man

Buckeye
04-05-16, 08:07
We have gone from a couple of snow flurries last week to hailstone and now to blue skies with sunshine and the promise of a shorts day. It's days like today that I wish I could take my lathe into the back garden, maybe I need a new lathe just for the garden:thinks:

There's just under four weeks until the May Competition ends so plenty of time for newcomers to the Forum to get their pen made and up their post count so they can enter the competition. If you look at the first post in this thread you will see what the competition is about, you can click here (http://www.penturners.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16273&p=245490#post245490) to see the prizes on offer.

Peter

wm460
04-05-16, 13:51
I have ordered what I need wonder if it will beat me home?

Dalboy
04-05-16, 20:07
Have not even thought about my pen yet still working on a competition piece for Saturdays Club meeting. But then I always leave these things to the last minute. I have got all the bits that I need for the pen comp so that at least is something

Penpal
05-05-16, 01:00
Busy streak looking forward to a spell of turning the weather is down to near zero min the night and mornings already.

Peter.

Buckeye
05-05-16, 07:33
Dusted the shorts and sandals off yesterday and each time I started turning I had a visitor or phone call that stopped me in my tracks so after three attempts and about 15 minutes of turning, gave up and painted some fence panels. It's going to be warmer today, but the cleaning lady will be here shortly and later I have to go and spend some time in a supermarket so turning may not be on the menu again today.

The Competition is well underway for those who will be entering so if you are then get yours made.

Peter

wm460
05-05-16, 11:12
Dusted the shorts and sandals off yesterday and each time I started turning I had a visitor or phone call that stopped me in my tracks so after three attempts and about 15 minutes of turning, gave up and painted some fence panels. It's going to be warmer today, but the cleaning lady will be here shortly and later I have to go and spend some time in a supermarket so turning may not be on the menu again today.

The Competition is well underway for those who will be entering so if you are then get yours made.

Peter

Padlock the gate, switch off the phone.:whistling::whistling:

Penpal
05-05-16, 11:46
So much metal and so many kits I am excited.

Peter.

Buckeye
06-05-16, 07:33
Another blue sky day and the shorts and sandals are properly out of mothballs.

There was another entry for the competition, yesterday, so we now have three early birds who can now get on with their pen for July's Competition.

Peter

Dalboy
06-05-16, 08:04
I,m out on this one, as I have club competition every month as well as trying to do the one that is already running here plus having to replace any stock as it is craft fair season for me.

Dalboy
06-05-16, 09:53
Forget my last post in wrong place

Buckeye
06-05-16, 12:15
Forget my last post in wrong place

Do you mean post 32 above? If so then I apologise as I moved it along with mine which I made in the wrong place.

Peter

Dalboy
06-05-16, 13:21
Do you mean post 32 above? If so then I apologise as I moved it along with mine which I made in the wrong place.

Peter

yep that's the one. should have been in the one in the general forum. I thought it was me going mad

Buckeye
06-05-16, 15:11
yep that's the one. should have been in the one in the general forum. I thought it was me going mad

Sorry:fingers:

Peter

Buckeye
07-05-16, 09:04
Well summer is well and truly here, the sun is already hot enough for a spot of nude sunbathing, but seeing as I escaped a trip into London with my wife and Granddaughter I feel I should at least attempt to turn a little today and not from my front to my back. It'll be snowing soon enough so best make the most of the sun by being in a cool/cold garage.

There's three weeks and two days until the end of the competition, plenty of time for several blanks to be knocked up and crafted into the winning pen.

Peter

Buckeye
09-05-16, 07:57
Just about 3 weeks left until the end of the Competition.

I added some delrin or similar cones for CA application to pen blanks for someone who has never entered one of the Competition and after Woody's video on bullet pens I have decided to add 3 set of two shell cases, again for anyone who has not entered one of our Competitions before, so the first new entrant to PM me their photos of their pen for the competition will have a choice of the Delrin Cones or a set of 2 shell cases and the 2nd, 3rd and 4th new entrant can have a set of whatever is left.

You can see the prizes on offer here (http://www.penturners.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16273&p=245490#post245490)

Peter

offanonone
09-05-16, 16:10
I've started making my blank, just hope I manage to make a worthy entry.

John

Lons
09-05-16, 20:17

John

They're all worthy John, good luck :thumbs:

Buckeye
10-05-16, 07:51
3 weeks left.

Peter

Buckeye
11-05-16, 10:02
Another pen entered into the competition, there are now 4.

Peter

Dalboy
11-05-16, 15:08
Just stared thinking about mine as well as a small experiment which if it works will be part of the pen

Buckeye
11-05-16, 15:08

John

Sorry, I missed this on Monday. As Bob says they are all worthy, anyone who enters the competition, especially for the first time, is to be commended for taking part. I know people say it's not the winning, it's the taking part that counts, but it is nice to win also and as a previous winner on my first and only entry to the competitions I still proudly wear the turning smock I won which was kindly donated by David at Timberbits (http://www.timberbits.com).

I am sure your blank will be up there with all the others, so Good Luck:thumbs:

Peter

Penpal
11-05-16, 22:41
Brass as i monkeys would be appropriate additions for a pen from over here down about looking into it.

Peter.

wm460
12-05-16, 08:57
Plan A and plan B up the Shiites, thanks to Australia post the gear I ordered that was meant to be here last week, The tracking said the gear for plan A will be heře on the 31st May and gear for plan B will be here on the 27th.
Bugger it.

Sent from my D6683 using Tapatalk

Buckeye
14-05-16, 09:55
This is the third weekend before the competition ends so make the most of it.

Peter

Buckeye
15-05-16, 09:01
We now have 6 entries into the competition.

Peter

Buckeye
15-05-16, 13:18
I have decided to put some of the blanks I got from Aussieburls into the competition. So anyone who hasn't entered one of our competitions before can have a chance of picking up half a dozen blanks, you can see the one's I am talking about here (http://www.penturners.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16551&p=247428#post247428) They are short blanks and may have checks and voids, but that is easily sorted with CA if they do.

Here is the list of prizes for May's Competition. (http://www.penturners.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16273&p=245490#post245490)

Peter

wm460
16-05-16, 01:48
I might blow a shift and hide in the shed today, no one would think of looking for me there, will they?:whistling:

Buckeye
16-05-16, 07:14
Tomorrow will be two weeks left until the competition ends,

We now have seven pens in the competition.

Peter

Buckeye
17-05-16, 07:09
Two weeks left to get your creations over to me.

Peter

Buckeye
20-05-16, 07:04
It's the penultimate weekend before the competition ends so make the most of it if you are entering the competition.

Peter

Buckeye
21-05-16, 08:46
Only 10 days left until the end of the competition so make sure you don't have 10 Blanks a-cracking.

Peter

Buckeye
22-05-16, 09:17
Nine days to go for you to get your pen into the competition so make sure you don't have 9 fingers bleeding.

If you haven't already guessed this is the rundown to the end of the competition using a paraphrased 12 Days of Christmas which I will call 12 Days Until the End of the Competition.

Peter

Dalboy
22-05-16, 09:22
The way I am going this week you might be lucky to get one now on number three, I would not mind but it is a simple design, buggered a vase and with the past drill press problems(sorted now) just not my week. At least the shed is clean while waiting for glue to dry.
If it can go wrong it has maybe I should have stayed in bed today.

Buckeye
22-05-16, 16:00
The way I am going this week you might be lucky to get one now on number three, I would not mind but it is a simple design, buggered a vase and with the past drill press problems(sorted now) just not my week. At least the shed is clean while waiting for glue to dry.
If it can go wrong it has maybe I should have stayed in bed today.

If you stayed in bed you would end up with a sore back, so better to have things go wrong and enjoy the experience, next time in the workshop the odds must be in your favour:thumbs:

Peter

billyb_imp
22-05-16, 19:50
First attempt to day at comp pen, an inglorious failure with the copper strip, must try harder :whistling::whistling:

More stuff arriving tomorrow, hopefully, aluminium, brass & copper plate and bar, must be able to do something with that lot, this coming Friday, off work for an extra day so will have another go then.

Buckeye
23-05-16, 07:28
First attempt to day at comp pen, an inglorious failure with the copper strip, must try harder :whistling::whistling:

More stuff arriving tomorrow, hopefully, aluminium, brass & copper plate and bar, must be able to do something with that lot, this coming Friday, off work for an extra day so will have another go then.

Make sure you make several blanks just in case.

It's eight day to go so 8 wives a-nagging.

For those of you who have thrown a sickie the sun is shining and the shed awaits, once you are ensconced the rain won't bother you.

Peter

Buckeye
24-05-16, 07:06
7 blades a-blunting must mean that there are now 7day left for you to get your pen into the competition. There are now 8 pens entered into the competition.

Peter

Penpal
24-05-16, 22:33
Good luck with entries Peter the comps deserve a better entry level I admire your stamina.

Peter.

Buckeye
25-05-16, 07:00
Do we have 6 Turners Swearing for the six days left of the competition, If you are leaving it until the last minute make sure you photograph the winning pen correctly as per the photos here (http://www.penturners.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16273&p=243506#post243506).

Peter

Gizmo3k
25-05-16, 09:24
Working on it, honest!

wm460
25-05-16, 09:29
Gear I ordered still haven't turned up.:rant::rant:

Just come in from the shed have been trying some thing else.:thinks:

Buckeye
26-05-16, 07:40
Today is 5 Chrome Clips which must mean there are five days left for you to get your instrument finished off.

Peter

Buckeye
27-05-16, 11:13
4 Naff Transmissions leaving you with 4 days left.

Peter

Buckeye
28-05-16, 08:28
3 scratchy nibs so we have 3 days, after today, until the competition ends.

You have this weekend left to get your pen into the competition. We now have 9 entries into the competition.

Peter

Buckeye
29-05-16, 09:39
I should say 2 fingers stuck to denote 2 days left until the competition ends and it is, after, today, but I seem to have an extra day, including today, so now we know maths is not my strong suit.

Anyway as long as you get your photos over to me before Midnight on Tuesday your pen will be in the competition as long as you photograph them as per the examples here (http://www.penturners.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16273&p=243506#post243506).

We have 10 pens in the competition so unless we get at least 5 more before the end, it looks like a poor turnout and all the more thanks to those who could be bothered to enter.

GSteer
29-05-16, 23:15
Well my entry is now in the failed experiments pile. Lots of lessons learnt but catastrophic material failure means both sets of blanks I'd made up are no longer fit for purpose. I'll look at them in fresh light next week and see if there is anything salvageable to be re-used. :sob:

wm460
30-05-16, 07:42
Well my entry is now in the failed experiments pile. Lots of lessons learnt but catastrophic material failure means both sets of blanks I'd made up are no longer fit for purpose. I'll look at them in fresh light next week and see if there is anything salvageable to be re-used. :sob:

Fingers crosses or I will be in the same boat as you.:sob::sob:

Buckeye
30-05-16, 14:25
It's Bank Holiday Monday and I can just imagine the majority of you beavering away in the workshop to get your pen finished (I could be hallucinating), photographed and over to me by midnight tomorrow Tuesday 31st. May.

We now have 11 pens in the competition.

Peter

Buckeye
31-05-16, 07:13
Those of you who booked Thursday and Tuesday as holiday still have today to finish your pen for the competition.

There are now 11 pens in the competition. Good luck to everyone who entered and thank you:thumbs:

Peter

Buckeye
31-05-16, 21:41
There are now 13 pens in the competition 1hr 20 mins to go. I will upload all the photos tomorrow.

Peter