• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Australian burr bowl

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I made this a few months back after being given a couple of blanks from a mate. I took a piece over to Woody`s & he cut it up for pen blanks, so I thought I`d post this up for those who took blanks home yesterday so they could see what it looks like turned.

My mate wasn't sure what flavour burr it was but confirmed it came from Australia. 8" across & 3 1/4" high I oiled the finish piece & then gave it a gentle buffing with a loose stitched mop a few weeks later.

Jim

Grand Master
I saw a blank you gave to Woody of this Burr, after seeing it Doug i am amazed how you made a bowl with it, especially to this standard. I honestly would have thought that the wood would just fall to pieces once a gouge hit it ... Great looking bowl indeed ... :thumbs:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I saw a blank you gave to Woody of this Burr, after seeing it Doug i am amazed how you made a bowl with it, especially to this standard. I honestly would have thought that the wood would just fall to pieces once a gouge hit it ... Great looking bowl indeed ... :thumbs:

What he said ...that looks impossible...Wow !!!

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
That is one beautiful bowl Doug.!!!
2 questions 1. Did you stabilise the wood with CA before turning and 2 What chucking method did you use??????
I could imagine you taking fine cuts from beginning to end!!!!:phew:

MikeD

Registered
Wow Doug,
I know Nottingham was famous for lace work but I didn't think the tradition continued :claps:

It's not small either, the centrifugal forces must have been trying to tear that apart as you turned it :shocking:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Thanks for all the comments chaps, much appreciated.

2 questions 1. Did you stabilise the wood with CA before turning and 2 What chucking method did you use??????
I could imagine you taking fine cuts from beginning to end!!!!:phew:

I didn't stabilise it Terry, I'd have probably needed a pint of CA. As for chucking I'd have turned a spigot & held it in compression, I wouldn't have fancied holding it in expansion in a socket.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).