• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

I'm not a virgin Dad !

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
I turned my first bowl today.

Not a very good bowl but it's my first :banana::banana:

I ran out of testicles when hollowing it out, it should have been deeper I know and the wall could have gone thinner. I'm disappointed in the finish as well but don't really know what I did wrong.

Sycamore, 5 " dia x 3" high, melamine lacquer and burnishing cream.

Did I tell you it's my FIRST bowl by the way ! (Should have been cherry shouldn't it now I think about it :funny:)

SAM_2593.JPG

Jim

Grand Master
Phill, that is a great first time bowl, this is the stepping stone to better things, it will happen much quicker than you think .. :bwink:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
That`s a great first bowl Phil, don`t be hard on yourself. :claps:

Melamine lacquer needs to harden before burnishing, Chestnut recommend 7 days, I think. Check on the tin of the brand you're using.

For finishing a bowl straight after turning a buffing mop & carnauba wax is a quick & easy method which is my preferred option, though there are other ways.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
That`s a great first bowl Phil, don`t be hard on yourself. :claps:

Melamine lacquer needs to harden before burnishing, Chestnut recommend 7 days, I think. Check on the tin of the brand you're using.

For finishing a bowl straight after turning a buffing mop & carnauba wax is a quick & easy method which is my preferred option, though there are other ways.

Ah, that's what I did wrong then with the lacquer, thanks !

Ooooh something else to buy, waxes ! :whistling:

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Phil,

Nowt wrong with it, especially for a first bowl.
Who says EVERY bowl needs to be paper thin??
Don't listen to the self proclaimed experts, a bowl is how YOU want it to be & if that is how you wanted it then that is how it should be.

Lacquer needs time to harden before you can do anything with it & I've done the same as you and tried burnishing it before it hardens properly so you're not alone :funny::funny:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Well done Phill that aint a bad job at all. I've never used melamine lacquer before but I use satin acrylic lacquer and before I put that on I use acrylic sanding sealer first as a base coat (aerosol type). After the lacquer has gone off then burnish. Food for thought!!!!!

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Phil that is a great first attempt some haven't reached your standard after there tenth attempt finishing a bowl is the hardest part of making them and something you will master with time first you have to find the type of finish you like to use so plenty of experimenting I use three different types of finish one sanding sealer then paste wax applied left for 15 min then buff, sanding sealer and friction polish on small bowls and oil on food bowls but as Doug says there are so many different ways to finish a bowl good job done mate be proud of your achievement because I'm proud of you one demo and your off may the games continue champ and happy turning

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Thanks for the kind words folks, much appreciated.

Woody it is all your fault, after yesterday I decided I just had to have a go.

I even copied your double rings on the tenon base :face:

I've got an 8" sq x 2" thick piece of pear that was for a stick head, been in the garage for 10 years.

I may just have to beg a lesson and use that up. :whistling:

I have a feeling bowls could be just as addictive as pens :bwink:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Your welcome any time Phil and bowls are more addictive than pens LOL so you will need to watch your bank balance :wink:

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Well, all I can say is - you are a stupid cretin! Why? Because you told everyone it was your first attempt at a bowl, and then compounded the cock-up by pointing out the faults. What a plonker! What I would have done is simply posted it with a caption like, "Been in the workshop today and turn out this nice sycamore bowl." Then wait ten minutes. This is a very responsive forum so that's a long enough wait. Suddenly, you start receiving emails - and I can almost guarantee that all the posters will be saying, "Oy, Phill, that's a great-looking bowl!", or, "Blimey, mate, that's the dog's danglies!" After 20 replies applauding the bowl you'll start to get cheesed off, and wished to Christ you'd kept it to yourself! After 40 such posts you'll be ready to chuck the bloody thing away - and this is where I come in. If I PM you with my particulars could you send it to me...?
Phill, there's not a thing wrong with that bowl. As the guys have said, you choose any style/size, depth/ you want, and use the knowledge gained to apply to the next one.
Rock on, matey!
Bob.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
And your Blank balance LOL.
Phil I watched your nervous anticipation yesterday as you looked on at Woody and Dave.
Somehow I just new you would be trying it today, Mr I am so pleased to see your attempt at a bowl and I think its a great bowl from you.
Take all the encouragement you can from your posting and thanks for showing us.
Keep this bowl in your workshop and use it as a guide for your next one until you build that confidence of hold the tool.
Proud of ya mate keep at it.
No witty comment on this post sorry.

My friend told me he was going to a fancy dress party as an Italian island. I said to him ‘Don’t be Sicily

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).