• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Mallee Burr bowl

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Mallee Burr bowl - approx 7 inces wide & 11 inches long
Finished with sanding sealer, friction polish & gloss lacquer (on the top only).

Comments welcome

Attachments

• mallee burr bowl 3.jpg
    mallee burr bowl 3.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 30
  • mallee burr bowl 2.jpg
    mallee burr bowl 2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 30
  • mallee burr bowl 1.jpg
    mallee burr bowl 1.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 30

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
It looks very nice Steven very nice indeed the only reservations I would have is gloss lacquer on top of friction polish I'm not sure that is a good idea it will probably lift of after a while but I hope I'm wrong mate other than that it is a wonderful looking bowl

Jim

Grand Master
We have seen some beautiful pieces of this wood over the last few days and this is no exception .. Very well turned Steven, it looks super ... :bwink:

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
It looks very nice Steven very nice indeed the only reservations I would have is gloss lacquer on top of friction polish I'm not sure that is a good idea it will probably lift of after a while but I hope I'm wrong mate other than that it is a wonderful looking bowl

Woody, have tried this finish a few times now & no reactions so far (fingers are crossed) but tis all part of experimenting :winking::winking:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
A lovely bowl from beautiful timber :claps::claps:

I`m not a fan of gloss lacquer, not that it doesn't give a lovely finish, as can clearly be seen from your bowl it does, but I have two pieces where over a few months the lacquer has crazed & I've never found out why, so tend to shy away from it these days.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).