• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Looking for resin

BilloutBoy

Apprentice Member
Hi,
My name is Dominique, I am 42 and I live in France.
I would like to make my own blanks in resin.
Could you tell me what type of resin do I have to buy?
Do you know a seller who sends in France.
I have a pressure pot and a vacuum chamber.
Thanks
Dominique

Incognitouk

Hi Dominique
There are two different types of resin that you can use "Polyester" and "Polyurethane" both have there pro's and con's

Polyester is the cheapest but can be very awkward to get the quantity of the catalyst right, the blanks can also turn out to be very brittle and blow out on drilling, and probably the worst part is the smell of the darn stuff, but the finish of these blanks can be breathtaking

Polyurethane is more expensive but is pretty much idiot proof when it comes to mixing it 1:1 ratio mostly, has a much greater flexibility to the resin so pretty much no blowouts, finishing on urethane takes a little more work, some say the finish will never be like polyester but i disagree, oh and demold time is much much quicker with urethane, which can be a real bonus if your trying to get a quantity out quickly.

hope this helps a little

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Hi Dominque, and welcome.

I use 2 types of Polyester Resin which I obtain from one good supplier on the internet.

1st and most used by me is at this link Casting Resin - East Coast Fibreglass Supplies this I have found mixes well with colours and fillers and is pretty easy to get good results with.

Pigments/Colours can be also be obtained from this link Pigments - Polyester, Epoxy, Polyurethane - East Coast Fibreglass Supplies quite a good selection here.

2nd Resin I use is at this link - Water Clear Casting Resin - East Coast Fibreglass Supplies This I use if I need a very clear resin for embedding items ie.. leaves, feathers, labels etc.. as the name says its ' water clear'

A good source for colour pearlescent powders, yes I know they are for makeup but that shows you its safe and OK - and it is very finely ground.
Perfect Glamour Pearl Mica Colour Powder Set "Brights Collection" | eBay they have quite a few colours.
Now I will get some ribbing :rolling:

I hope this is of some help and makes sense..
If you have any further questions post it to this forum as we have quite a wealth of talent and knowledge here, someone will know or can get you the answers...:thinks:

Happy Castings

BilloutBoy

Apprentice Member
Thank you everybody for your messages.
I sent a mail to East Coast but they don't ship in France.
Do you have a dealer or a seller on Ebay who ship in France.
I'd like to make a watch pen.
Thanks

Incognitouk

I think you will struggle to find anyone who will ship out of the UK, nearly all resins are delivered by courier due to safety precautions so shipping by courier to another country would be very expensive, your best bet would be to try and find someone in your own country that sells it.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).