• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bookmarks

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Keen to give turning acrylics another try after seeing the lovely work posted on here the trip up to Turners Retreat gave me the opportunity to buy a couple of acrylic blanks.

My younger lad had asked for a bookmark, the type T/R sell so I thought making a few of them with acrylic domes would ease me back in the saddle while I wait for my delivery of pen kits from Aus.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Blimey that was a quick reply my friend,

I was pleased with the finish, it`s the first time I've tried Micro mesh, pick that up on Saturday as well, works a treat.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
I've seen these and couldn't picture in my mind what to do with them, now I know.

They look really classy with that blank, like gemstones with that finish.

I'm jealous.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Very nice Doug and well made...I think that the blank that you used would look good on a fountain pen ..maybe a Baron or similar..

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Doug,

As a bookmark they are quite exciting for them to hold in the book do the crease the pages at all it never bothers me with my books but I have a daughter with a huge collection of books who is horrified if someone folds books to ease the binding etc, even her husband says she must use wooden tweezers as all her books look mint and she reads rereads extensively, I thought to ask before I make her some.

In agreement with others the finish is superb.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Thanks for all the comments much appreciated.

Peter,

One of the clips has been on an invoice overnight next to my laptop funnily enough, so I've just taken it off & there is the slightest mark where it had been.
I`m sure if this was on a page in a book better supported by the other pages when the book where closed the mark would be even more diminished, that said, I imagine as long as the bookmark wasn't left in for months any trace of a mark would disappear once the bookmark was removed & the pages compressed together when the book is closed as the mark is that slight.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I made some for our 25th weeding avernursery in silver for my Drain who was collecting em at the time.
They tended to leave a black mark for a while but have since not marked at all, I wonder if they may need a bit of use to wear in and get rid of polish etc.
Bloody old now we just had our 40th init?
Nice job on these ones though well done.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).