• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Glueing up Blanks.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
When I glue barrels to the blanks I use medium CA. What I was wondering is how long do other turners leave their blanks to set before trimming the ends and then turning. I often leave them for as little as 15 minutes!!!!:thinks::thinks::thinks:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Oh well trust me to be different I just glue and trim as soon as I put the tube in no waiting around but I do mine on a sanding disk if my fingers stick instantly than so should the tube LOL:goesred:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Oh well trust me to be different I just glue and trim as soon as I put the tube in no waiting around but I do mine on a sanding disk if my fingers stick instantly than so should the tube LOL:goesred:

i am like this

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I use PU, only because I've had a few failures with CA & never had a problem with PU.

I tend to leave them over night.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
Interesting one. Why this came to mind is I was reading on Timberbits site and David said he left his overnight and he uses CA and I couldn't understand why??
Now I know that I am not alone in leaving them for a short time.
I would be like some of you in doing it immediately but after drilling on the lathe I then put my sanding disc on and I usually do this while the CA is going off!!!:thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Terry,

Over time I have tried so many ways to glue blanks and confess freely CA is not one I persisted with due to uncertainty, also I have no idea of the life of Ca. Something I put a lot of time into is brass preparation with sanding strips running them along the blank to in my mind cut deeply and opposite to the stressed direction, choosing glues I like to use a flexible gap filling medium. I had many with CA that stuck too quickly and found it difficult to free myself from as well. So I use other mediums I found epoxy great for small numbers but it seemed to go off too quickly for me even the longer term ones. So its polyurethane for me and I sure check it short time after glueing to prevent any popping out brasses that can occur, mind you I use all glues liberally.

Always in the back of my mind is the uncertainty of how tightly the parts will press do I have to ream ease before pressing any way the result is no splits for me, none let go so my way is a matter of do it when and wait at least 3 to 5 days before turning. Met a man who has turned literally hundreds of thousands who uses the 1/2 hr principle with CA glueing does not rough brass turns exquisite pens to be proud of. I do believe our drier normally climate gives us different results with ca .Great believer in what works for you but I do tend to do batches at a time up to 100. Taking a leaf out of SWMBO I open glue, use sticks to dip and glue spread both surfaces, potatoe in one end cotton buds sometimes.

Kind regards Peter.:thinks:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Started with Gorilla Glue which went off the market as some clown trade marked that brand name in Australia NZ for some yrs its back on the shelves now but I have used Vise and a few others they all seem to foam and share a similar formula. There must be 10 or more brands over here these days. Like most glues I lose more than I use cause the time between glue ups varies so much, still I am due for more now as the weather although lousy again lately is making it more attractive to get in the sheds.Trust you solve your problem soon mate.

Off to bed midnight here.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
Terry,

Over time I have tried so many ways to glue blanks and confess freely CA is not one I persisted with due to uncertainty, also I have no idea of the life of Ca. Something I put a lot of time into is brass preparation with sanding strips running them along the blank to in my mind cut deeply and opposite to the stressed direction, choosing glues I like to use a flexible gap filling medium. I had many with CA that stuck too quickly and found it difficult to free myself from as well. So I use other mediums I found epoxy great for small numbers but it seemed to go off too quickly for me even the longer term ones. So its polyurethane for me and I sure check it short time after glueing to prevent any popping out brasses that can occur, mind you I use all glues liberally.

Always in the back of my mind is the uncertainty of how tightly the parts will press do I have to ream ease before pressing any way the result is no splits for me, none let go so my way is a matter of do it when and wait at least 3 to 5 days before turning. Met a man who has turned literally hundreds of thousands who uses the 1/2 hr principle with CA glueing does not rough brass turns exquisite pens to be proud of. I do believe our drier normally climate gives us different results with ca .Great believer in what works for you but I do tend to do batches at a time up to 100. Taking a leaf out of SWMBO I open glue, use sticks to dip and glue spread both surfaces, potatoe in one end cotton buds sometimes.

Kind regards Peter.:thinks:

Interesting Peter. Maybe that is why David leaves his overnight because of the warmer climate!!!!:thinks:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
For me it can very as to how quickly the pen is needed if it is a pen for me i may leave it 2 or 3 days, my son wanted a new pen for when he went back to school recently i think it was cut glued and finished withih an hour. :whistling:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
What PU do you use ?

I'm looking for an alternative to CA as its going too quick for me

At the minute I`m using the Titebond brand, I like this as the other brands tend to have only a 5 minute open time, though that might be an advantage to others, I prefer the 25-30 minutes you get with the Titebond.

Jim

Grand Master
To be honest Terry, i have never considered a time, as the biggest majority of my pens are prepared in advance, mainly on a Saturday to turn on Sunday, but i also prepare on Sundays to turn on Saturdays ... Errr i hope you understand this garbage ... :kiss:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Interesting Peter. Maybe that is why David leaves his overnight because of the warmer climate!!!!:thinks:

I have used these polyurethane glues in the past and they are fantastic for gluing pen tubes in they foam up so they are extremely good for gap filling the only problem I found was it started to crystallize if it wasn't used for a while and I would end up throwing half of it away also in the cold weather it thickened and run very slowly unless you warmed it up

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).