• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Called in my burl getter mate

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
He has many many tons cut and ready to send around the world including stuff for pool cues and grinders etc Pen Blanks by the thousands, have arranged to visit him this week end and take some anonymous pics of some of his stock.

Guess what he sold a small quantity to Turners Retreat recently he figures it will only last five minutes.

Kind regards Peter.:thinks:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Funnily enough Turners Retreat have been asking on there twitter feed for turners willing to turn bowls from timber they supply for display purposes, so I presumed rightly or wrongly that they were updating the wood they have on offer, as they already had bowls on display of most of the timber they supply.

Hopefully this is the case, a larger range of timbers can only be a good thing in my book :whistling:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Ye I will I am doing sycamore and olive which I then get a picture in the catalogue on the web site and the bowl in the wood store so I get recognise for it I going to be famous

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
The wood and talc that they are getting people to turn is stock they inherited from Crafty Supplies in Darbyshire when they took them over nothing new or exciting
Pink Ivory (spindle), Talc Stone, Piquia Amarello, Elm, Sycamore, Bubinga, African Blackwood, Maple, Lignum Logs, Bocote, Ash, Purpleheart, Kingwood, Olive, Masur Birch Logs, Oak, Tulipwood, Camphor (spindle), Zebrano, American Black Walnut, Wenge, Padauk, Rosewood and Banksia Nuts

They still want turners to do 3 left! Bubinga, Kingwood & Banksia Nuts

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
When visiting my mate he is happy for me to take a few pics he fits so many tons in a small space he peels the bark off using extreme pressure water, have not seen him do grinder blanks before nor billiard cues about 18 inches he also did some at two feet long. Please keep in mind I am not touting for him only showing how an incredibly tidy guy has made a living for so long out of a small space incredible travel and monstrous hard work. He only sells to big organisations shipping the stuff around the world. Thanks Woody I felt there was no connection with my mate he only deals in Aussie Burl.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Peter T/R were selling red & brown Mallee and coolabar burrs going back about 3 years ago but no one was willing to pay the money they wanted I got one of the last few on Sat 1/2 price the rest were crap otherwise Id have got the lot some time ago when they had shelves full of burrs they ended up reducing them to half price and buy 2 get one free I come away with a shed load the trouble with suppliers over here they all want to be millionaires over night to bloody greedy I have some Australian friends who bring me some interesting bits of wood back with them when they go back to see there family's sadly one is over there now to bury his Mum

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
The wood and talc that they are getting people to turn is stock they inherited from Crafty Supplies in Darbyshire when they took them over nothing new or exciting
Pink Ivory (spindle), Talc Stone, Piquia Amarello, Elm, Sycamore, Bubinga, African Blackwood, Maple, Lignum Logs, Bocote, Ash, Purpleheart, Kingwood, Olive, Masur Birch Logs, Oak, Tulipwood, Camphor (spindle), Zebrano, American Black Walnut, Wenge, Padauk, Rosewood and Banksia Nuts

They still want turners to do 3 left! Bubinga, Kingwood & Banksia Nuts

That's a shame, I was hoping for some more unusual timber :rolling: :down::down:

Jim

Grand Master
It would be nice to see some quality burrs at TR, i agree with you Woody, some of the burrs they had i certainly wouldn't have bought .. :bwink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).