PDA

View Full Version : July Competitions

Buckeye
06-06-16, 10:38
There are two possible competitions lined up for July

For under 16s you can enter your under 16 yoa relatives/family friends. Make whatever they want on the lathe and make it as imaginative as possible.

You will be responsible for your own and their safety, none of the mods, Jim or the Forum will take any responsibility whatsoever for safety concerns for anyone who enters the Competitions. It is suggested that you as the responsible adult should take care of any bandsaw/tablesaw work and any other potentially dangerous work for the youngsters, but you know best.

Could you please register your intention of entering your young relative in the competition as if there are only a couple then it will have to be postponed until there are enough, we don't expect to get many, but I would have thought 5 minimum is reasonable.

For Members Closed End Pen. One end or both, kit or kitless it's your choice.

If you haven't made a closed end pen there is at least one article in the Tutorials or you could ask on the Forum.

You can see upcoming Competitions here (http://www.penturners.co.uk/penturners-competition-forum/16145-competitions-2016-a.html#post241607)

Remember that you can't show your Competition Pens or entries to anyone else and they must not appear anywhere online before results of the Competition. Good Luck.

Peter

Penpal
06-06-16, 11:40
Another opportunity to support the competition lots of fun.

Peter.

Bill Mooney
06-06-16, 18:29
Plenty time for this one.:thumbs:

chas_41_uk
06-06-16, 18:32
Plenty time for this one.:thumbs:

Don't say that Bill. I keep thinking that and then every weekend I'm busy with other stuff :rolling:

Penpal
06-06-16, 22:45
THere is a magnificent double ended pen on the IAP currently as a teaser for the next competition.

Peter

wm460
07-06-16, 10:02
Don't say that Bill. I keep thinking that and then every weekend I'm busy with other stuff :rolling:

I know what you mean.
Next couple month week ends are gone all ready.:sob::sob:

Buckeye
10-06-16, 08:04
If you would like to enter the July competition for a closed end pen, but don't know how to go about it there's two articles No.13 and No.14 (http://www.redriverpens.com/articles) which goes into to detail about different methods of holding the blanks. If you haven't made one before it is not as hard as you may think it is, you don't need any special skills and when you have made your first one you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Give it a go, there is plenty of time for you to do it, if you don't procrastinate.

Peter

mattkemp
12-06-16, 19:25
Can anybody help I'm trying to get a closed end mandrel but can't find one that somebody has in stock the turners workshop have some but are out of stock I'm hoping to do a Taylor mirfields kit one so needs to expand there size tubes but not sure on how much they expand as never tried them any help would be gratefully received

Cheers

Matt

Buckeye
12-06-16, 19:47
Have a look in Tutorials there is a PDF, it will show you how to make one.

Peter

Macaronytony
12-06-16, 20:09
Spent the day making a blank, so I'm going for it Peter... :thumbs:

Penpal
12-06-16, 22:06
Then today Brad gave us a lesson in double ended special treatments thanks Brad.

Peter.

Pierre---
14-06-16, 22:49
Looking for a closed end mandrel easy to make?

wm460
15-06-16, 08:10
Nicely made Pierre.:thumbs::thumbs:

Penpal
15-06-16, 09:21
Handy and as you say so easy to make Pierre thanks mate.

Peter.