• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Lamp

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well salvaged Steve I did that on a bowl that split wide open and I made some brass staples and fixed them across just like you have a few years ago it sold within days I also done another one with a leather lace

Jim

Grand Master
I like it Steve, the stitches really makes this unique ... Well turned ... :wink:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Where did you get the kit of electric parts from Steve. I've just had an order for 4 table lamps. The woodturning will be easy its the electric bits I'm not too sure about.

keith

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Where did you get the kit of electric parts from Steve. I've just had an order for 4 table lamps. The woodturning will be easy its the electric bits I'm not too sure about.

keith
arding e
Hi Keith I think you should know there are a lot of EU regulations regarding lamps they all need to have a label regarding wattage of bulbs rubber grommets on all metal parts and clamps to secure the cable that is why you dont see many at craft shows I'm not saying dont make them just be aware if they are not fitted the lamps will be illegal take care mate and happy turning

Woody

Registered
First Name
no

keith

Hi Keith I think you should know there are a lot of EU regulations regarding lamps they all need to have a label regarding wattage of bulbs rubber grommets on all metal parts and clamps to secure the cable that is why you dont see many at craft shows I'm not saying dont make them just be aware if they are not fitted the lamps will be illegal take care mate and happy turning

SteveH

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Steve have you read the above mate especially if you are selling them you need to look this up EU and bloody Health n Safety gone mad

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
regardless of were you got the parts Steve you are the manufacturer and you will be held totally responsible should God forbid anything go wrong I used to make a lot of lamps to sell and with every requirement in place like grommets, clamps and labels but most of us decided it wasn't worth the risk apart from for personal use whatever you deride to do Steve I wish you all the best especially in this climate of blame and claim and the vultures looking for an excuse to do just that

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Steve,

Good idea, and one that can be applied to lots of projects with split wood. A good one is with mushrooms. These are often turned using green wood that will crack as they dry out. With the larger ones simply drill "eyelet" either side of the crack (just like a shoe or boot). Then thread a lace through the holes. I use leather laces - they look more natural.

Nice work, Steve!

Bob.

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Thanks for the info Steve and Woody. I've told the lady I'll turn and fit everything but her husband will have to wire it up himself.

keith

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
That's a good idea Keith best to be safe than sorry I dont agree with all these new laws we used to make loads of them years ago never had one complaint yet bloody H/S gone mad

Jed Baxter

Registered
Well i love this effect, i have never seen anything like this before what did you use for the stitching btw. :winking:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).