• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Carbon Fibre sleeve tips

Gizmo3k

Graduate Member
First Name
Alan
I started playing with carbon fibre sleeve last night, and discovered a few things that might help others.

1: Increasing diameter reduces length - make sure you cut your sleeve long enough! As you stretch the sleeve to go around the tube, it will shorten the length of what you have cut.

2: Pre-stretch your carbon sleeve - I found it quite difficult to push the tube into the sleeve, as it got caught, This can make small holes in the sleeve, which doesn't look good. I found I could use a set of transfer punches to gradually increase the diameter of the sleeve to what I needed to insert the tube - this reduces the chance of the tube catching the weave of the sleeve. Just push the transfer punches all the way through, then move to a larger one. I went up about 2 sizes at a time.

Once I finish a pen I am happy with, I will post pictures!

Alan

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I didn't find a problem putting it on to tubes and I only cut it to length once it was on the tube. If you take the open end of the sleeve and bunch it up a couple of inches the tube goes in without a problem, if it is a long tube and you have got it on half way then just trap the end on the tube with your fingers and bunch it up from the other end and it goes on very easily. It sounds more difficult that it is, but it is dead easy.

Peter

Gizmo3k

Graduate Member
First Name
Alan
That might have been my problem - I cut it to length before inserting the tube.

My tube also had some wood around it (as in Les' nylon braid pdf) which may have affected it too - it was thicker.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Interesting, when can one obtain such material ?

Whenever you are ready for it:funny: make sure that the size you order will expand to the tube size you want to use it on.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).