• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

How I Made A Pen and Pencil Set

Jim

Grand Master
Here is a photo tutorial of how i turned this Pen and Pencil Set, what is different about the set is that the Pencil is made from just one barrel.

The wood used is Oak, i was given this wood from a friend who had this tree growing in his garden.

Pen Blanks Made From Oak.

oak_pen_blanks.jpg

The center bands are made from plastic, i don't actually recall the exact sizes but they were something like, white 75mm thick, and the black was 25mm thick.

The Plastic is Glued to the Pen Blanks

glued_plastic.jpg

The plastic was glued together using medium CA glue, and held together until dried using clamps.

Clamped up Waiting to Dry

clamped_pen_blanks.jpg

Once the plastic was glued onto the blanks and firmely stuck i then sanded them down to the same size as the blank edges before drilling a 7mm hole down the blank centers.

Sanded and Shaped Ready to Drill

glued_pen_blanks.jpg

Preparing the pencil barrel i placed the two tubes on to the center band and then turned the C/B down between centers on the lathe, to reduce the C/B to the exact size of the pen barells i used my 1/2" Spindlemaster. After i finished reducing the C/B i gave it a quick rub with 400 grit sandpaper, along all the barrel.

Center Band Turned Down to the Same Size of the Pencil Tubes

turning_tubes_between_centers.jpg

To finish i then glued both halves of the Pencil blanks, making the one barrel. Once the blanks had dried together i then glued it onto the long single pencil barrel and turned it between centers on the lathe.

Shaping the Single Barrel Pencil

lathe_turning.jpg

The Pen was finished as you would a normal Slimline Pen, nothing really special was done with these blanks.

The Finished Product ...

hand_crafted_pen_and_pencil_set.jpg

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
They look great Jim, thats the 1st time i have seen a pencil done this way. :bwink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).