PDA

View Full Version : July 2016 Competition

Buckeye
22-06-16, 10:14
Okay, that time is here again the July 2016 Competition which is for a Closed End Pen. One end or both, kit or kitless it's your choice. Start Date: 1st. July 2016

This Competition should sort the men from the boys and not to be sexist the women from the girls.

The prize on offer for this competition is to be one of Aussieburls box of Pen Blank Shorts (http://aussieburls.co.uk/product/box-pen-blank-shorts/) delivered to you directly. I have one of these boxes and there are some incredible burr blanks so get your thinking caps on and your design pencils out and get to it, you know that time will run away if you procrastinate. Good luck:thumbs:

If you are new to the forum you can enter the Competition if you have a post count of 25, which is easily and quickly achievable, just introduce yourself and ask a few question. Here is what the competition is all about.

Your mission, if you decide to accept it, is to produce a pen or pencil from any material, that is Closed End, one end or both, kit or kitless it's your choice.

The competition will end on 31st. July 2016 which means I must have your photos before midnight on the 31st. July 2016. If I get them even 1 minute into Aug. 1st. 2016 then your entry will not be included in the competition.

I will upload all the images on the 1st. August 2016, and all members will have 5 days to vote for the pen or pencil they think should win the competition, you may not vote for your own creation and you must not show your pen/pencil to any other member, it must not be shown on any other website before the end of the competition.

If you have any questions please ask.

You can use up to 3 images of your creation if you think they show it off more fully, but you must stick to the rules below.

The Prizes

Click here (http://www.penturners.co.uk/penturners-competition-forum/16273-may-competition-2016-a-post245490.html#post245490)

The Rules for the Competition.

1. You must have made 25 posts by the time you enter the competition.
2. You may enter 1 pen or pencil into the competition and it must be your own work and at least part of it must be turned on a lathe.
3. Your photographs must be taken on a clean piece of white plain paper which does not have a texture or creases, photocopy paper is ideal.
4. You must not use any props in the photographs and you can submit up to 3 photographs.
5. Your photographs must show the pen in a horizontal position as shown below.
6. Your images must be 800 pixels wide.
7. I must have your final photographs before midnight on the 31st. July 2016

If you PM me your images to enter the competition and later make a better pen you can PM me the photos of the new pen or pencil and I will discard the original images, that way you can be sure that you are in the competition with your first pen and if you have time to make another which you think is better you can use that one as long as I have it before the deadline.

Make sure that you keep a hi res photograph of your entry as the winner will also receive a penturners.co.uk Awards Certificate with an image of your pen. The Awards certificate is A4 and can be printed out, if you wish to use it on your craft stall, by the likes of snapmad.com or photobox.co.uk, snapmad.com would be the cheaper option if you spend 2.99 as the postage will be free, photo box will charge a minimum of 2.99 postage.

I will tweak colour, density and white balance of your images, if you request it, when you PM them to me.

Peter

Penpal
22-06-16, 12:34
Cant wait I have a dream.

Peter.

Buckeye
01-07-16, 15:53
Okay, the July Competition has started and if you have not begun your pen/pencil then you have the perfect opportunity, as it is the weekend tomorrow.

If you don't know how to make a closed end pen, there is a tutorial in the Tutorials or you could ask on the forum for other links. It is not difficult and even if you are a beginner you will be able to make one, only those without faith in themselves will not bother.

Peter

Penpal
01-07-16, 21:35
Heaps of bother so far enjoying it though.

Peter.

Buckeye
02-07-16, 11:41
The weekend is here and you should all be in the workshop developing your pen/pencil for the competition. If you are new to the Forums, you need to make 25 posts by the 31st. July, so make your pen and get posting it won't take long to get 25 posts especially if you introduce yourself and ask a few questions.

Peter

wm460
02-07-16, 13:41
Bugger I am too faR FROM MY SHED.:sob:

Penpal
02-07-16, 22:38
I like the subtle additions to the rules from time to time. I also have seen many winners in pens being made lately that conform so well. Should be an outstanding competition.

Peter.

wm460
04-07-16, 07:43
I like the subtle additions to the rules from time to time..

Peter.

What changes?:thinks:

Woody
04-07-16, 08:59
Got to cut the grass and put a gazebo up LOL excuses excuses well I thought I'd get the compo of to a good start :funny::funny:

wm460
04-07-16, 09:55
Got to cut the grass and put a gazebo up LOL excuses excuses well I thought I'd get the compo of to a good start :funny::funny:

Is that a hint you are using grass in your pen.:funny::funny:

Penpal
04-07-16, 10:40
What changes?:thinks:

I thought in rule 2 part of must be turned on the lathe. and 3, clean white paper no texture or creases on the paper.

Both of these are reasonable and fair to have as rules. I will have a look at the original rules they may have been in at the start and I have forgotten.

Peter.

Penpal
04-07-16, 12:25
I looked back one competition no mention of a lathe in March, then at least part on a lathe makes sense to me, the segment one a list of materials and kit used. Like I said small but there ones I support every time.

I was wrong on the white paper no texture or creases they were always there I had forgotten the creases part Mark.

Peter.

Buckeye
04-07-16, 13:21
The no textures or creases is there to stop identifying who made the pen as some people use textured backgrounds and can be easy to spot who did what. It's just to try and ensure a level playing field as far as possible, same with props.

Peter

Buckeye
06-07-16, 09:04
If you are about to make a pen/pencil for the competition and are not sure about which material to use, Phil has discounted Ebonite blanks until Sunday, so if that is a material you would like to use get on and order it and you should have it by the weekend to get on with your pen.

Have a look in the Seller Forums under Beaufort Inks and you will see the discount code.

Peter

Buckeye
09-07-16, 09:10
Another weekend dawns and for the artistic amongst you it represents time to put together your vision for the July competition. I have received two entries into the competition and either of them would be worthy of first place, so if you haven't started getting yours together then start soon.

Peter

Dalboy
09-07-16, 10:43
This is the first time that I seem not to have the time to do anything. I have not even done much work in the workshop except roughing out, I still have some more logs to convert and possibly rough turn as well as finish casting. Even these I have had to stop doing today to sort out the wood pile so I can fit it all in.
On top of that I am writing another article for the woodworker magazine. Who said not working was an easy life

Penpal
09-07-16, 20:47
Derek it just gets busier mate. Your weather should make it ever so much more pleasant than here right now. Good luck with the magazine article.

Peter.

Buckeye
12-07-16, 07:24
We now have 3 pens in the competition and if I had to choose a winner I think any of them could pull it off. So if you want to be in with a chance of a fantastic prize then get your pen/pencil made.

Peter

Buckeye
13-07-16, 07:51
There are now 4 entries in the competition and I think we will have another one later today, I have given up trying to pick the winner as the four I have seen could all be the winner.

Peter

Gizmo3k
13-07-16, 08:09
Lots of ideas, less pen kits and even less time! We will see!

Buckeye
13-07-16, 08:11
Lots of ideas, less pen kits and even less time! We will see!

Don't forget, you don't need pen kits for this competition:thumbs:

Peter

Buckeye
14-07-16, 07:10
We now have 5 pens in the competition all potential winners and we are about halfway through the month so don't forget your pen/pencil for the competition.

Peter

Buckeye
16-07-16, 10:33
We are half way through the competition. This weekend is the first of 3 weekends left so make the most it and get your pen/pencil made, planned or started.

Peter

Penpal
16-07-16, 22:10
All the year closed end pens have been shown on the forum should be some rippers ready to roll in.

Peter.

Buckeye
23-07-16, 09:57
Another weekend closer to the end of the competition, we now have 6 pens in the competition.

Peter

Buckeye
24-07-16, 09:26
It's a fair bit cooler now and if you are entering the competition, now would be a good time to get on with your creation. You have only one week left to enter.

Peter

Dalboy
26-07-16, 14:47
Just started mine but if it goes wrong there will be no second chance. Talk about cutting it fine

Buckeye
26-07-16, 14:54
Still plenty of time to make a couple of pens for the competition (choose the best one) which ends on Sunday at Midnight.

Don't forget the prize is a superb 5 kilo box of AussieBurr's (http://aussieburls.co.uk/) shorts and seconds pen blank burrs

Peter

Vic Perrin
26-07-16, 15:15
I have been away for 3 weeks back home tommorow for a couple of days then off on hols for another couple of weeks. That gives me about a day to get a pen done plenty of time :thinks:

Buckeye
26-07-16, 15:25
It's looking like we will have pretty low numbers on this competition, which is a shame as it is a great competition to show off your skill and ingenuity.

Peter

Penpal
26-07-16, 21:26
From the announcement of this comp there have been so many real screamers made and shown on the forum the entries should be magnificent.

Peter.

Buckeye
27-07-16, 07:10
There are 5 days left including today until the competition ends on Sunday. We now have 7 pens in the competition.

Peter

Lons
27-07-16, 20:37
It's looking like we will have pretty low numbers on this competition, which is a shame as it is a great competition to show off your skill and ingenuity.

Peter

Not going to make this one Peter, sorry

Penpal
27-07-16, 21:07
I hope Brad enters one of his screamers.

Peter.

Buckeye
27-07-16, 21:10
He hasn't looked at this thread so I doubt he even know what's happening.

Peter

Buckeye
28-07-16, 07:22
Not going to make this one Peter, sorry

Enter the ones you can:thumbs:

Four day left until Sunday, the end of the competition at Midnight. We now have 8 pens in the competition.

Peter

wm460
28-07-16, 08:57
See what happens tomorrow, bloody visitor turned up tonight.:sob:

Buckeye
29-07-16, 16:34
Only 3 days left including what's left of today until the end of the competition at Midnight on Sunday.

Peter

Penpal
29-07-16, 21:35
Gives more time over here.

Peter.

Buckeye
30-07-16, 08:34
Just today and tomorrow left to make your pens for the competition.

Peter

wm460
31-07-16, 00:26
Gives more time over here.

Peter.

Didnt work for me in first comp.:sob::sob:

Penpal
31-07-16, 08:23
do die or bust time as I see it all the best Mark.

Peter.

Buckeye
31-07-16, 09:22
The day has dawned and you have until midnight to get your pens into the competition.

Peter

Buckeye
31-07-16, 15:55
We now have 9 pens in the competition:thumbs:

Peter

Buckeye
31-07-16, 21:50
We now have 10 pens in the competition, any more before the deadline?

Peter

wm460
31-07-16, 22:55
I quite.:sob::sob: