• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Getting ready for casting

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Well I have not done much casting for a while so as I sold a little at the rallies I attend I thought I would do some casting and to make the blanks work out cheaper I brought the 5Kg of resin. I also made a 6 tube stand and a 2 blank square mould (which is still drying). So no great piece of woodwork involved after all they will nd up covered in resin I should think.

I also brought 12 metallic colours(bottom 12 in picture) as I want to make some white and gold blanks for wedding pens which now bring my colours up to 24 powder and 5 solid colours.

So over the next few weeks I will be casting, I think that once finished I will have more than enough blanks.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 101
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 100

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
I Myself bought 12 metallic powders and I'm set up just like you Derek, not tried it yet but soon. Good luck with yours. :thumbs::thumbs:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
It will be great to see what will arrive out of this venture Derek ..make sure you put the pics up for viewing :thumbs:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I Myself bought 12 metallic powders and I'm set up just like you Derek, not tried it yet but soon. Good luck with yours. :thumbs::thumbs:

This will be my third batch John.

It will be great to see what will arrive out of this venture Derek ..make sure you put the pics up for viewing :thumbs:

Just a teaser Ed from the last ones I did

Attachments

• DSCF5301-001.JPG
    DSCF5301-001.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCF5261.jpg
    DSCF5261.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCF5275-001.JPG
    DSCF5275-001.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 89

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Self casting is like a box of chocolates..you never know what your going to get. Good blanks and good pen Derek. :thumbs:

Sgreen

Registered
First Name
Simon
Do you use a pressure chamber, a vacuum chamber or do you just leave the castings out to dry? I really want to have a go at this but the price of the equipment is to high. Good luck with the blanks.
Simon

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Do you use a pressure chamber, a vacuum chamber or do you just leave the castings out to dry? I really want to have a go at this but the price of the equipment is to high. Good luck with the blanks.
Simon

No chamber used with polyester resin.
I don't normally have problems with bubbles as I use polyester resin I make sure I mix the colours first but nice and slow but enough to mix the colour in completely then leave it a couple of minutes before adding the activator again mixing slowly until fully mixed from there it can take up to 20minutes before pouring slowly into either the tubes or square mould.

The only time I did was the bottom two blanks in the picture above but that was due to leaving the resin too long before pouring it into the tubes

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Thanks, that settles it. I am having a go at it :drool:

Try the polyester resin first and buy the smaller amount to try it works out a little dearer but will give you an idea how it works. remember also that the resin has a shelf life so if left to long can start to become thick even without the activator. I will spend a couple of weeks at most casting all of the resin I have this should see me with quite a few blanks.

Jim

Grand Master
A nice little factory you have there Derek .. Making your own blanks can be very rewarding for sure .. :thumbs:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
The two blank mould is now dry enough to remove from the template the outer will be the support as it is only 1/2" thick. It still needs a good week to dry fully.

Came out pretty good with a nice clean inside.

Attachments

• DSCF6396.jpg
    DSCF6396.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 33

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
How do you release the pen blanks from the tubes? Do you need a release agent?

Being polyester resin it does shrink a little so once dry if it does stick it only need a gentle tap with a large piece of dowel and it pops out.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).