• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Clear acrylic tube

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
This is not so much about casting but precast tubing, of which I happen to still have several thousand metres, made for a client that went broke before collecting the order.
I started to experiment with it and pens some time ago with the results you see in these pics.
I lost interest until George wanted to pick up and develop the idea, I started to help him play with it showing him how I used t do it but that is now by the way.
Since joining this forum I have seen many attempts at making plastics, some better than others with no detrement to any of them, we all started somewhere.
I started in 1980 with the development of twin pack paints for BP, Freemans and Valspar mixing and developing the chemicals to the formulas that you now use in your kitchens to my great dismay but I won't nag you on that.
I won't bore you with more details of my working life as I am still working but closed the doors on the plastics business in 2008.
In the light of seeing another thread on this board about printing and casting labels I thought some of you might be interested in seeing the idea of clear acrylic tubing with printed labels.
Now the boring pictures.
P1040601resized.jpg
P1040620resized.jpg
P1040622resized.jpg
P1040640resized.jpg
P1040639resized.jpg

Please don't post any replies yet more pics to bore you with first.

Jim

Grand Master
Brian, you don't surprise me any more, to me you have gone to the next level where you can inspire .. Thanks for adding them ... :thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Thank you gents, these where done in my very early days of penmanship, I am sure with the experience I now have I could do so much better.
Now perhaps you may understand why I don't comment to much on other peoples plastics and why I am sick of the sight of it.:sob:
This is high grade medical acrylic tested to over 200psi before exploding and passed all military integrity tests, no air, crystal clear, very bloody expensive to buy, so much so I could never sell it.

Women might be able to fake orgasms. But men can fake a whole relationship.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Brian, are you saying that you use pre-cast tube? If so, what OD/ID? How do you secure the label inside? Etc etc etc ... So many questions and only one finger to type with ...

More info please!!:pray:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Good ol JimJam can always rely on you to be a nosey plonker init?
Yes its precast acrylic tubing I have it in 8mm internal with 1 & 2mm wall thickness, and 10mm internal with 2mm wall thickness, I think... That needs to be checked out and confirmed as it has been a long time sine I touched this stuff I have slept since then init?
It is now cut in 1M lengths and stored in the loft of my old factory as I couldn't shift it before the new tenant moved in. I have a fair stock in my shed roof which is still good to go.
I simply wrapped the label around the brass tube of the pen and let it expand inside the clear tube no more than that with these pens, alittle shaping at top n tip tto fit nib and finial voila job done init?
I am sure this could be improved upon but this was done simply to arouse interest, dead easy to make a feather pen with this method but I was shut up on that it's not liked by others and the CIA would have me shot or some such cruel fate would befit me.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
How interesting! That's why I loved George - real out-of-the-box thinking! What's the likelihood I might lay hands on one or two lengths of the 10mm ID stuff? Got lots of ideas kicking around ...

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
And thats why George kept on at me about David on this bloody forum, and what would I do about various things, bless him I do miss our chats and drawaings bloody buffon.
I suppose a couple of lentghs could find their way into my van for Baisingstoke on the 19th if you can wait that long enuff.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you!

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Wow Grumps!! Your pens are brilliant, special like for the H4H. This is just the effect that I have been trying to produce. After spending all that time casting and only getting 1 out of 5... mind you I am a novice and would get better. As David has asked what the chances of laying my hands on some of this - standard reimbursing as usual.

WHAT WAS THE BEST THING BEFORE SLICED BREAD?

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Wow Grumps!! Your pens are brilliant, special like for the H4H. This is just the effect that I have been trying to produce. After spending all that time casting and only getting 1 out of 5... mind you I am a novice and would get better. As David has asked what the chances of laying my hands on some of this - standard reimbursing as usual.

WHAT WAS THE BEST THING BEFORE SLICED BREAD?
Are you going on the 19th? I will bring some samples with me init?

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Who said you could show of my pen see brain I have been telling you for ages you should promote them bloody tubes they are a brilliant idea sell them to T/R :wink::thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Who said you could show of my pen see brain I have been telling you for ages you should promote them bloody tubes they are a brilliant idea sell them to T/R :wink::thumbs:

I thought you wanted to keep it secret I asked you to show your royal pen in another thread but to no avail, alas the job was left to me again init?
If ya want sumfink doin do it yourself init?

I vote Sir Woody for Prime Minister cos I love im.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).