• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bowl gouge questions

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
So, I need a bowl gouge, too much choice though.

I can only do 9" dia by about 4" depth max on the lathe I have (and will have for a while) so do I get 3/8" or 1/2" and why ?

Which make is the best ?

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
well i have a 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 all made by crown the only thing i don't like about the 1/4 is the length of the handle

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
What make are you looking at Phil the 1/2" would be your best bet as you can make a small bowl with a larger gouge but it dont work the other way round with the 1/2" which is by the way the one we used at mine the other weekend it will make a 4" bowl or a 24" bowl if you want you can get a smaller one latter but you wont need it you may just want it also you can also get shorter bowl gouges for small bowls you dont need all that length on small bowls

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
3/8 is a good size to start with Phill, that`s the size I started with & still use.

For me a good long handle is the most important thing, something decent to hold onto when getting to the bottom of a deep bowl, for that reason I make most of my own handles (well we are turners) & just buy the bare gouge/chisel, usually from Ashley Iles.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Was looking on the Axminster site, but at the moment I don't have a brand loyalty.

Are the Sorby ones worth that much more than say the Crown ? What about Axminsters own ?

1/2" it is then, that's one thing sorted :thumbs:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
the 1/2" which is by the way the one we used at mine the other weekend

You surprise me there Woody, I didn't remember it being as big as 1/2", definitely must be loosing me faculties, all terry`s fault :whistling::whistling:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
For my tupence worth I would say whatever size you go for I would always recommend buy the steel. Ashley Isles excellent quality and make your own handle, take pride in making your own tool and enjoy using it that much more.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I have the 3/8 Sorby bowl gouge which was recommended and then I bought the 5/8 Henry Taylor superflute which is supposed to be the best on the market and it does cut bowls like butter but it aint cheap!!!!!! Most professionals say start with the 3/8 but I agree with Woody in that the larger ones are more versatile!!!!!

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Phil the only dumb ass question is the one you dont ask if you are going to make your own handle use a good solid hard wood like ash which has a slight flexing ability

Jim

Grand Master
I never heard a dumb question yet, i have given plenty of dumb answers thou ... :thumbs:

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
3/8 is a good size to start with Phill, that`s the size I started with & still use.

For me a good long handle is the most important thing, something decent to hold onto when getting to the bottom of a deep bowl, for that reason I make most of my own handles (well we are turners) & just buy the bare gouge/chisel, usually from Ashley Iles.

Cheers for this I've been looking for a source of bare chisels so I can add my own handles. Cheers Doug....

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I got a 1" skew steel at the T/R open day just a £5 I have also purchased some 1/2 silver steel to make some of my own chisels then harden them

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
It all depends on the size of the tang on the steel for a long bowl gouge you want about an inch

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Don't buy anything till the 19th Rowdy I will bring my homemade tools with me for you to see and we can go in depth conversation about how to do them.
You might even see some steels there at reasonable prices as it opening of a new store, I expect to see bargains galore how disappointed will I be?

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
He could also talk to john Davis how is very helpful and will help as much as he can

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
You surprise me there Woody, I didn't remember it being as big as 1/2", definitely must be loosing me faculties, all terry`s fault :whistling::whistling:

Well I had another look at my bowl gouges and Doug you are right mate it is 3/8" so it is me who is losing it LOL :thinks::thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).