• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My Patriot Chuck is now full of rust

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
What do you guys do with your chucks during the winter months? I ask the question as i have been in the workshop today doing a little preparing and uncovering my tools etc, i had my chuck wrapped up in a hand terry towel since around october but when i came to unwrap it today i find that it has gone rusty. Has anyone else had this issue and if so what did you do to stop it happening again. Thanks guys.

Jim

Grand Master
That will be due to moisture Andy, i have had this in the past, what i tend to do with all my chunks and even my tailstock is box them up and bring them into the house for the winter months. Other items i leave in the shed i cover with wax paste, this seems to do the trick ... :thumbs:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Andy this happened to me last year, man was i annoyed. :nonono: But don't worry because as soon as you start to use it again you will see the rust dissapear. Thou i did lightly use a piece of 600 grit sanding paper on the parts that had the most bits of rust on. I also did what Jim had siad i took this in the house this year (Still in actually :rolling:)

The Wood Bucket

Mine is always in the house. My shop is in the heated basement. I turn all year long. :face: But any time you need to store something like that, spray it with a silicone spray ( in the USA it's called WD40 ) or wipe it down with a light oil. Wrapping it up only keeps the moist air trapped on the piece, better to let the air move around. Also, I have heard of people that live in very damp/humid areas leaving a fan running 24 hours a day 365 days a year.

Jim

Grand Master
In fact we are having a high of 21 degrees Fahrenheit today

Give up Gary, we are just getting over our worst rain fall in Yorkshire for many years ... :funny:

On a serious side today has been a very mild day and i did visit the shed for a few hours preparing a pen using blanks from my own castings that i had made last year, hopefully i will get it finished tomorrow. :thumbs:

The Wood Bucket

Really. 21 degree Fahrenheit = -6 degree Celsius. This is actually warmer then it has been. I still have 14 inches of snow on the ground. :thumbs: What temps are you having?

Jim

Grand Master
Really. 21 degree Fahrenheit = -6 degree Celsius. This is actually warmer then it has been. I still have 14 inches of snow on the ground. :thumbs: What temps are you having?

Gary, Tony is saying this with tongue in cheek, all we have had for the past month is rain, so everything is wet and many places are actually flooded out with major roads closed etc, who would have thought that rain would cause as much havoc as snow can. :goesred:

Found the photo of my Supernova chuck which i had the same issue with. It was after this that i started bringing the tools into the house. Thou after a few weeks and a good clean it was back to normal.

rusty_supernova_chuck.jpg

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Thanks for the info guys, i will now start to bring the items into the house, or at least grease them up lol. :goesred:

Thats just what mine looks like Jim, also because i left the jaws in the chuck these are also full of rust, i cant close them fully they are that bad. I have now sprayed them with WD40 as suggested. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).