• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Has anyone else bought a pen wizard

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I have never fully commissioned mine but taking a pic tonight of the Zyliss Vice in front of the Pen Wizard so heres a pic of my mod to remove dust etc from this unit. It seems wherever I go I find something to use for another purpose spending quite a time in large hardware shops storing images of interesting objects in my mind, no wonder sleeping properly is difficult while pondering mods etc.:rolling:

Kind regards Peter

Attachments

• DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 120

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Ah Ah !!! I see it all now ..What I need is a 'Pen Wizard' and my question to Peter on a previous post will be answered.:banana:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I had one once I bought from a freind who borrowed it back and died while it was still in his possesion.
Sadly missed Rod loved your sense of humour and my grumpiness has not improved since no more grumpy lessons.
I was never that impressed with it but didn't really give it a chance in all fairness.
Too expensive to replace on a whim so will make do with the cnc machine I am paying with when I can find time.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Being dense but what does it do?

Phil ..recently Peter put a photo up of an hexagonal pen that he had made .I was interested as to how he had made it ....I think it may have arrived via this Pen Wizard...I may also be barking up the wrong tree !!:thinks:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
If you just want to create flats hexagonal pen why not just make a box to fit on your lathe with a slot in the top for a router and use your indexing facility to lock the spindle job done and saved a few hundred quid just an idea

Jim

Grand Master
I agree with Woody, there are many jigs out there showing how to use a router on the lathe, i just haven't had the time to research it enough as it is a line road i would like to take ... :ciggrin:

Thanks for sharing it Peter ... :bwink:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I haven't brought one but I have seen one in action at a wood turning display.

I know Walter either had one or tested one for the magazine quite a while ago.

It does a little more than just flats, but will do all sorts of scroll work, diamond shapes, swirls and the list goes on.

I have thought about one but as others I can't really warrant the high costs of purchasing one for what I would get out of it.

Looking forward to seeing your pens that you make in it Peter ..

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I agree with Woody, there are many jigs out there showing how to use a router on the lathe, i just haven't had the time to research it enough as it is a line road i would like to take ... :ciggrin:

Thanks for sharing it Peter ... :bwink:

You don't even need a router for flats, a blade will do, I have used a well honed shave hook and spoke shave in the past. Make a guide box and use your indexer as Woody says

Jim

Grand Master
Brian, i saw a pen on from the IAP where someone kindly sent me a link of it, it has grooves cut out of the blank using a router on the lathe so he was able to place a different wood into the slits, the pen looked very nice indeed. This is what i would like to emulate (One Day) ... :bwink:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I made a jig up for Jim a long while ago and showed it on Mervs forum, might still have it in a drawer somewhere I have a day off work tomorrow will see if I can find it.
Its basically what George was showing in one of his rantings only it uses a dremmel type tool to cut. very simple really and very cheap if not free.

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
I made a jig up for Jim a long while ago and showed it on Mervs forum, might still have it in a drawer somewhere I have a day off work tomorrow will see if I can find it.
Its basically what George was showing in one of his rantings only it uses a dremmel type tool to cut. very simple really and very cheap if not free.

i would be interested with that

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered

You know me Grumps - any info - love it :banana::banana::banana: got me dremmel ready :love_it:

DOES THE LITTLE MERMAID WEAR AN ALGEBRA?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).