• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Nylatron on a Pensar

walshjp17

The Pensar is a new kit released by Berea Hardwoods. Don't know if it is marketed by anyone in the UK yet. Interesting concept. The kit has two small tubes ~ 1" long. You can turn two different blanks (use up all those cut-offs you've been saving :winking:), two blanks of the same material, or remove the center band and use a tad longer Sierra tube for a single blank pen. Lots of options.

For this pen I used Nylatron, a hard rubber-like plastic used in machinery applications and for making casters.

C&C welcome.

Attachments

• Pensar 1.jpg
    Pensar 1.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Pensar 2.JPG
    Pensar 2.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 47

Jim

Grand Master
Certainly does look the biz, this is the first i have heard of Nylatron, and it really goes well with this pens accents ... The pen looks like an updated Sierra, i also like it John ... :winking:

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
John, Nice looking pen and well finished. :thumbs::thumbs:

Very unusual, lots of potential just by playing with different blanks. Maybe even able to play around with the length? Is Nylatron similar to Delrin?

walshjp17

IMO, Nylatron is more rubber-like. When turning, it comes off in long, annoying, sharpish ribbons; you have to stop and clear the blanks every few passes with the tool. Delrin is more plasticky (is that a word?) although I have never turned any. Not being a scientist, chemist or even mechanically inclined, I'll have to defer to the "experts" at Wikipedia: Delrin: Polyoxymethylene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia vs. Nylatron: Nylatron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I like it and what you have done with it but I think without the center band for me but how many different interpretations of the sierra do we need

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, John,

Well, I'm very impressed with the look of that pen, and the lovely finish you've given it. It's good to see an attractive new pen style on the market, and your treatment of this one will without a doubt, increase Berea's sales! Could you give us an indication of costs?

Regards,
Bob.

Jim

Grand Master
I would certainly buy a few of these pens for sure, like John says there are quite a number of combinations to finish this pen, and this interests me ..The price isn't bad either ... :bwink:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Its a sierra in disguise, but thas not to say I dont like it. The balance looks all wrong with the clip protruding well over the centre band. Agree with Woody, centre band in the bin. pity they didn't tinker with the shape of the front end and make it substantially different and separate fromt he sierra.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Yes as above ..the different combinations does it for me ...as well as its looks

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I like the pen and what has been done with it, it is well turne and finished but respectfully it is still just another Sierra as Neil said why not redesign the nib end and make a new creation

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I like it, hope it becomes available over here and they don't hike the price too much.

Richard,

George Watkins deals with Berea and sells their kits. He might not have them advertised on his website but its worth dropping him an email to see if he can get them and what the price is. Home

Great blanks anyway!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).