• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

English Eucalyptus...?

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, guys,

Not quite finished (due to nearly losing a finger in that V-shaped split!) but it looks better than these piccies suggest. My problem is that I failed to note the species when given it (I normally write on the wood with a fibre tip pen) so not sure what species this is. Could it be English Eucalyptus, Laburnum, or summat else? Size is 4.5" high X 4" wide.

Bob.

Split cup..JPGSplit cup 2.JPG

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
OOOOh Bloody hell dad you were lucky not to loose more than your finger you damn nutter, In fact you're lucky to get anything out of that lump init?
I gave you some yuke and cherry I hope you is ok mate ?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Your getting a gutsy ol fart aint you well done Bob not easy with a big lump like that missing hat of to you mate well done

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Your getting a gutsy ol fart aint you well done Bob not easy with a big lump like that missing hat of to you mate well done

OOps sorry Bob It weren't you I gave the wood to was it? Bloody good effort But with a split I don't know if your brave or stupid.:wink:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I think I'd want danger money to tackle that .....Looks like you tamed it though Bob.

Jim

Grand Master
Biggest doesn't mean best Bob, you have proved that here .. Very nice indeed to say you only have half a piece of timber to work with ... :wink:

Could the wood be Blackheart Sassafras ... :thinks:

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, guys,

Yes, both a nutter and lucky! Actually, the split was there BEFORE I started turning the wood, and it was not a split but a mass of rotten sapwood. I chiselled the rot away, leaving the centre hollow as it is now. My near miss ocurred while I was attempting to sand inside the cup. Yes, I should have done it with the lathe stationary, I know. A lesson learned, indeed!!!

Any ideas re the wood?

Regards, Bob.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Jim, Nope, never had the pleasure of that wood.
Woody, this is a possibilty as I've been using some lately.
Bob.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I was amused like saying Australian Apple Pie there are 800 plus species of Eucalypt a favourite in Tasmania is to sell Eucalypt Burl another way of saying dunno but it stuck and persists to this day. From West Australia their favourite escape is called Goldfield Burl can be any number of timbers. In scaring blanks out of my stash though I have seen large numbers of the same species with such variety in colour texture coming from different states in Australia identification can be hit and miss.

Over the years timbers that were like old friends have become distant memories some quite forgotten making it a rule now to carefully label each new piece.

Have fun Peter.:goesred:

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Well Done Bob - looks like you tamed the beast, nice shape. :thumbs:
Sorry can't help you with naming the wood.
Watch yourself on the next one. Wood seems to have a memory and will you get back sometime - be careful buddy...

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Peter, Yes, I agree. If those timber suppliers see a way to shift some inexpensive woods at an inflated price they'll use it. And the best way is to give these woods obscure and exotic names and people dive in just to get a rare species, LOL!
Hi, Alex, Thanks, matey!
Hi, Steve, And thanks to you, too! That near-miss taught me a lesson - next time things look a bit dodgy I'll get the wife to do it instead, LOL!
Bob.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).