PDA

View Full Version : How do I find my way around Penturners.co.uk

Jim
25-09-13, 17:52
When you click on a forum's name, you are taken to the list of threads it contains. A thread is a conversation between members. Each thread starts out as a single post and grows as more individual posts are added by different users. Threads can be rated to show how useful or popular they are and may contain polls.

To start a new thread simply click on the http://www.penturners.co.uk/misc/images/1/thread.jpg button ...

Threads can be ordered in many different ways. The default is to have the thread with the most recent activity at the top.

How do I read a thread?

To read a thread, click on its title. Each post in a thread is created by a member. You'll see some brief information about the member who created the thread above the main post message.

To post a reply to an existing thread, click on the http://www.penturners.co.uk/misc/images/1/post.jpg button. If this button does not appear, it could mean that you are not logged in as a member, or that you do not have permission to reply, or that the thread has been closed to new replies.

If enabled, there will also be a 'Quick Reply' box where you can quickly enter a reply without having to go to the 'Post Reply' page. You may need to click the quick reply button Reply in a post to activate the quick reply box before you can type into it. http://www.penturners.co.uk/misc/images/1/reply.jpg ...

If you need more you can always click on the "Go Advanced" tag, this will take you to the editor giving you more options ...

What is the Navigation Bar (navbar)?

The navigation bar at the top of every page has links to help you move around. A 'breadcrumb' area at the top left shows where you are now. A form on the right allows you to quickly login. With one click you can reach areas such as: the User Control Panel, FAQ, the Calendar, Search options and Quick Links to other useful features. ...

Can I change the way the board looks?

You may be able to change the styling of the board by using the style changer in the bottom left of the page. This lets you choose different skins which change the colour scheme and appearance of the board. If this option does not appear, the board cannot be restyled.

Doc
28-07-14, 11:26
Thanks for this - makes it a bit easier for us newbies :winking:

Regards

Doc from the Land Down under

Jim
28-09-14, 18:27
Hello,

Are you new to the forums and still uncertain of how it all works .. I have written this little tutorial to help make it more understanding for beginners.

Making a Post ..

If you see a topic that you want to reply to just scroll down to the bottom of that page where you will see the "Quick Reply" box, type your message in there then below that at bottom right hit the "Post Quick Reply" this will then post the message.

If you would like more options, you will see to the bottom right of the smilies the "Go Advanced" box, click this to see more options.

To start your own thread, it is very much the same really, let us use the introductory forum to explain.

Here is how to do it ...

In General Forums, click on the "Introduce Yourself to Penturners Forum" link, at the top you will see "Post New Thread" click on this, put a title in the top bar then in the large box below write your message, if you want to add a smilie just click on the one you want it will then add it to your thread. When done, scroll down a little and click the "Submit New Thread" box .. Simple as that... :thumbs:

Terry
28-09-14, 18:50
Nice to see that you're getting the knack of this forum after 3 years Jim !!!!:kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss:

SteveD
14-08-18, 19:35
Thanks Jim, most useful for a newbie to this forum and forums in general.

Steve:love_it::love_it::love_it::love_it::love_it:

Penpal
14-08-18, 21:54
Certainly good use of past posts to answer questions,certainly there have been numerous updates and methods since then.

Peter.