• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Recent Order

Jim

Grand Master
Three very nice pens Neil, all super looking blanks but the center one does it for me .. Please tell us what it is ... :bwink:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Used something very like the right hand blank ...Are the two others the same blank ? As the others say ..luv it.:thumbs:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Thanks for the comments, the three pens are from the left a sierra stylus in goldfrom TB, an Orion Fountain Pen in Gold from Woodturningz, and a chrome Lucida from TB. The two blanks to the left are from Toolpost and are from the tigerwood range. Impregnated birch ply glued together with phenol resin, touch as old boots to turn but beautiful results. There were some supply issues with these blanks and a rumour that the supplier had gone out of business but they appear to either have been unfounded or overcome according to Peter Hemsley (owner of Toolpost). The blak on the Lucida is the purple haze or crocus or the various other names under which it appears - get it from axminster amongst others.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Neil,
Like the three for different reasons somehow in every part of the world pens pen kits receive their own name and like cars these days with infinite models gone are the days when I knew every car by sight and pen kits why bother over here there is competition who all use special names. Are the first two the same composite material? They both are neat well turned and as you stated receive a finish well bright and cheerfull colours. I know the glue that holds the laminated dyed same wood is tougher than also quite carcionogenic isnt everything though. My carry pen draws constant attention that laminate by another company carried it for many years now. At another time I will photograph the pen and I have a block of the stuff about a metre long and 100 mm thick by 300 wide. my pen has been through the washing machine twice both times shat the biros contents inside the pen never polished looks like new still.

The three pens look well and reflect quality and care in choices, very neat.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Neil,
Like the three for different reasons somehow in every part of the world pens pen kits receive their own name and like cars these days with infinite models gone are the days when I knew every car by sight and pen kits why bother over here there is competition who all use special names. Are the first two the same composite material? They both are neat well turned and as you stated receive a finish well bright and cheerfull colours. I know the glue that holds the laminated dyed same wood is tougher than also quite carcionogenic isnt everything though. My carry pen draws constant attention that laminate by another company carried it for many years now. At another time I will photograph the pen and I have a block of the stuff about a metre long and 100 mm thick by 300 wide. my pen has been through the washing machine twice both times shat the biros contents inside the pen never polished looks like new still.

The three pens look well and reflect quality and care in choices, very neat.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

Peter,

The two pens on the left are the same material.

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Neil
Have used one very similar to the one on the right 'Purple Haze' very nice..

The other 2, bloody'ell they are the biz. Brilliant...:banana::banana::banana:
I need to know and get the middle one - more info please, please - vendor name etc etc... even details for the one on the left 'methinks' its the same as middle.....:bwink:
Do they do different colour combo's:bwink:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Rowdy,

There are six colours in the range, The ToolPost | wood turning tools | woodcarving tools then look under timber for turners on the left hand side. There were supply issues, phone before ordering is the best method. They differ from other laminated blanks in that the layers are not as even and give a more varied pattern which appeals to me.

The kit is the Orion, available as a fp or a rb from Pen Kits - WoodTurningz. Really nice people and dead easy to deal with, you can buy all psi kit direct from them (and several of their own kits The orion and the phoenix) and they are humans, not like the neanderthals that seem to infest the PSI sales office. Shipping is around 25 usd for a medium rate envelope which takes a maximum of four lbs weight and will carry about 30 vertex kits or 40 executive pens. In my opinion, dont be tempted by any of the blanks, all wood from the US seems to be spray enhanced and my experience from all suppliers is disappointing.

Back to the Orion, the nib on the FP is a good nib, much superior to the JR Gent from TB, but then it is more expensive

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).