• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Mistake After Finished Turning My Own Casting

Jim

Grand Master
Today i went into the shed to turn a pen with my own casting that was made last year. I also made my own center band out of a blue cast which i had also made last year. I drilled the C/B with a 6mm drill so that it would fit onto my pen mandrel, from here i then glued it to the edge of the turned barrel. Now 6mm is a good fit for the 7mm pen mechanism to fit tightly into. Now all went well, i had turned it down to the size i wanted then gave it a sanding and finished it with a nice polish. I used Silver accents on the pen and i was very satisfied with the outcome.

Now comes my downfall, having looked at the pen under my magnify glass i could see that the two barrels was slightly off center. To the naked eye it would have been very difficult to see, but i decided to take the accents back out of the bottom barrel and sand the blank edge. I had removed the nib without issue, but when i came to remove the mechanism i shattered the C/B and part of the blank edge ...

Here is the pen after i had attempted to remove the accents from the bottom barrel.

pen_blank_casting.jpg

I have two more pieces of this casting so i will be giving it another go next week .. I called the casting "Speckled Carrot" after i had seen the finish project. :bwink:

I hope you guys have a better start to your turning, and don't forget to post it here ... :thumbs:

Lesson learnt i guess .. :goesred:

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
happens to us all, i ruined one of those resifill blanks, taking the bushes out at the end of turning, it was heartbreaking !!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).