• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Laminated timber and my carry pen for ten years

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Found a block I have another somewhere? In the flesh its not so romantic it is all the same timber dyed other colours. Roughly 42 laminations.

The carry pen of mine for ten years at least all the doomsayers re kit quality thickness of gold ad nausum can bury their heads in shame for mine this pen has survived so many rough handed people who borrow your pen or try to destroy it bringing the biro forward etc, drop it several times been through all the washing machine cycles untouched since I made it never polished since, no CA finishes when I made this. Anyway everyone wants one and they are hard yakka IMHO the glue is harder than the timber.

Another Myth Buster.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

Attachments

• DSCF0020.JPG
    DSCF0020.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF0010.JPG
    DSCF0010.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF0012.JPG
    DSCF0012.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 55

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Certainly proved the doubters wrong there Peter.....The nearest I can come to finding anything remotely like that laminate block at our house are the coloured manilla files in Mrs Eds filing cabinet !!!

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I too have several older pens with gold plating and finishes other than CA that have survived well over the years. Whilst it is simply a matter of physics that titanium or rhodium plating have more wear resistance than 24 carat gold which is much softer, in my opinion, the quality of the plating process is almost as important, and if the gold has flaked or worn off the components then chances are it was a poor quality product to start with.

Walter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Thank you peter you have proved my point I have had many a discussion over pen finish and bloody, CA I have always used polish and been told it isn't long lasting my answer has always been look at antique furniture polish finish 100s of years old how much longer do you want it to last for I have pens over 20 years old and still as good as the day I made them some may need a little bit oh paste wax now and then but that's al,l no one has a 20 year old pen with a ca finish and you cant reapply it without stripping the pen down when it chips or cracks .
Go get em Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).