PDA

View Full Version : Hi all

Edward Po
27-09-13, 11:29
Hello everyone:

I am new here and I am from Singapore. My main interests is in pen making. Hope to learn and make more friends:winking:

Regards
Edward Po

PhillH
27-09-13, 11:49
Welcome to the best pen making forum in the Universe !

There's a lot of talented people on here (me excluded) who will be more than happy to help you I'm sure.

Why not show us some of your work ?

Phill

edlea
27-09-13, 12:07
Hi Edward

Great that you could join us ..you will be made very welcome here .:thumbs:

Ed

MikeD
27-09-13, 12:13
Hi Edward,
It's a bit cooler here than Singapore but you can be sure of a warm welcome
I used to live in Singapore, but that was back in 1995

Mike

Doug
27-09-13, 12:28
Hi Edward & welcome :waver:

retreatjohn
27-09-13, 12:31
Welcome to the friendly forum!!!

stevenw1963
27-09-13, 13:30
Welcome Edward, enjoy, but lose the sanity quickly otherwise you'll never fit in with this bunch of loonies !!
(they're all softy southerners you see!!!)

:whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

Terry
27-09-13, 13:34
Welcome aboard Edward. I'm sure you'll enjoy the forum!!!!!!:thumbs:

bellringer
27-09-13, 13:41
Wellcome to the fourm from the second youngest member

bluntchisel
27-09-13, 14:56
Welcome aboard, Ed. Nice to have you with us!
Bob.

Edward Po
27-09-13, 15:36
Hello everyone:

What can I say about you guys? In a short span of 3 hours and after my late dinner (Yes, it is late evening now in my part of the world) I receviced 8 welcome replies from you guys:thumbs: Unlike some other forum that I have joined I really feel welcomed, more important I already felt at home here.

While at the subject of being a newbie here, allow me to self introduce myself here. I am a 57 years old Singaporean Chinese and I am a mechanical engineer by trade (I know what you guys are thinking: Why is a mechanical guy doing in this wood working forum?). Currently I operates a small machine shop. My main interest is segmented pen making, being very new here, I have nothing to show. However, in the coming future I will certainly post photo of pens that I am going to make with my own hands, by then I hope you guys will not fall off from your chair after laughing out loud!

Although, an mechanical engineer by training and semi retired I loved to designed and build my own machine, tooling etc. (Machine that I have build includes my own woodturning lathe, Disc and belt sander) I am now looking at designing my own bandsaw. I know I can buy these machines but nothing beats the joy of operating machine that you have build with your own pair of hand. Any comment or criticism are most welcome.:bwink:

Lastly, please forgive me for my poor english standard.

Looking forward to making more friends here while at the same time improve my wood working skill here

Cheers
Edward Po

Edward Po
27-09-13, 15:42
Hi Edward,
It's a bit cooler here than Singapore but you can be sure of a warm welcome
I used to live in Singapore, but that was back in 1995

Mike

How long had you lived in Singapore? The whole island has changed alot, you may not be able to find your way around the island with all the changes:face:

Welcome to the best pen making forum in the Universe !

There's a lot of talented people on here (me excluded) who will be more than happy to help you I'm sure.

Why not show us some of your work ?

Phill

You are very humble in your reply, however I don't believe you!:tongue:

Edward Po
27-09-13, 15:49
Wellcome to the fourm from the second youngest member

You second youngest? Am I the second oldest? Saw some of your work posted in the forum. Young or not I am looking forward to learn from you. Hope you are willing to teach me:wink:

bellringer
27-09-13, 15:51
But I am only 17 I it should be the other way round

Edward Po
27-09-13, 15:56
But I am only 17 I it should be the other way round

Okay, you are young but full of ideas, more important you are willing to share!

bellringer
27-09-13, 16:11
I am always willing to share

Woody
27-09-13, 16:11
Welcome welcome sir enjoy and be happy from a softy Southerner I will deal with you latter Steven remind me were are you from originally LOL Southerner

Jimjam66
27-09-13, 16:43
Welcome Edward. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Terry
27-09-13, 17:00
Welcome Edward. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Watch him Edward he's on the scrounge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Doug
27-09-13, 17:07
My main interest is segmented pen making,

Excellent, I'm very keen on segmented pens, I look forward to seeing what you produce, best of luck

ataylor
27-09-13, 17:12
Welcome Edward it would be nice to see some of the machines you have built. :thumbs:

Jim
27-09-13, 18:06
Welcome to the forums Edward, please show us the lathe you made, it could save us 's in the future ...

rowdyyates115
27-09-13, 20:28
Welcome Edward,

Nice to have you on board, you will love this forum. Lots of leg pulling and heaps of knowledge.....

MikeD
27-09-13, 20:35
Hi Edward,
I lived, and worked in Singapore for two years, that was after living for three years in Kuala Lumpur (a little bit north of you) and three years in Cairo.
The first time I visited Singapore was 1976. We drove all day from Kula Lumpur on the old road (no Federal Highway then) in a car without air conditioning because prices were lower in Singapore :pounds: Things have certainly changed since then
In those days I had not taken up woodturning, bit annoying when I think of the wood yards I used to pass with their enormous piles of waste tropical hardwood that they used to burn :sadmo:

You will not find any kiasu on this forum, members regularly share both triumphs and disasters from which we all learn.

Mike

Edward Po
28-09-13, 10:07
Welcome to the forums Edward, please show us the lathe you made, it could save us 's in the future ...

Welcome Edward it would be nice to see some of the machines you have built. :thumbs:

I am more than happy to show you the lathe machine that I have build. However, do give me time to digest and try to figure how to post photos and videos on this forum. Also any help in this matter will be deeply appreciated.

As for trying to save money by building it yourself, I am sorry to mention that it is not justified nor cheap to build a general wood turning lathe when you can buy it off the self cheaply, especially those made in the Far East. The lathe that I have built is not cheap and it does not fall into the general categorically as other wood lathe. However it have the following features and capability not found on a general wood turning lathe:

1) A very simple build in attachment capable of making exact copies from template (Batch production using template).
2) The same attachment above with capability to make exact copies from sample (Batch production using sample).
3) A routing attachment to milled equally spaced flutes / slots on the surface of the workpiece with a index spindle head.
4) A side guide cum protractor attachment to drilled / milled equally spaced holes or multi flat surfaces on the workpiece at any angle.
5) Build in cutter sharpening attachment
6) Centre holes drilling station
7) A lathe machine so safe to operates that even the blind, people with one arm, the senior citizen and young ladies can operates the machine safely
8) Enable a novice wood turner to became a highly skilled turner within 1 hour.

I know the above description of the machine does not sound possible. Please be patience while I try and figure how to load photos etc. For those interested I am more than happy to shared my engineering drawings etc on this machine. All these will be posted on a new thread.

Regards
Edward Po

Terry
28-09-13, 10:12
A very interesting post Edward. Looking forward to photos/drawings etc.!!!!!

Edward Po
28-09-13, 10:13
Hi Edward,
I lived, and worked in Singapore for two years, that was after living for three years in Kuala Lumpur (a little bit north of you) and three years in Cairo.
The first time I visited Singapore was 1976. We drove all day from Kula Lumpur on the old road (no Federal Highway then) in a car without air conditioning because prices were lower in Singapore :pounds: Things have certainly changed since then
In those days I had not taken up woodturning, bit annoying when I think of the wood yards I used to pass with their enormous piles of waste tropical hardwood that they used to burn :sadmo:

You will not find any kiasu on this forum, members regularly share both triumphs and disasters from which we all learn.

Mike

OMG, I can never believe that I get to know a westerner that is able to understand the word 'kiasu' I now really can feel myself at home here:wink::kiss::face:

Jim
28-09-13, 10:15
Edward, now i want to see the machine even more after reading your last post ... :winking: I do not have the ability to make what you have, but i am very interested in seeing the finished article and how you came about making it ... :thumbs:

Here is a tutorial on how to add pictures in these forums, please read all the thread as there are a couple of ways of doing this if one does not suit you ...Click Me!! (http://www.penturners.co.uk/tips-how-use-these-forums/3-adding-image-your-post.html)

Edward Po
28-09-13, 10:24
Hi Edward,

Mike

Mike:

Btw, I understand how you feels about the huge pile of wood log waiting to be burnt etc. I have actually sited my small machine shop in a middle of a huge wood working and renovation estate, one of my past time here is always looking into other shop waste bill to hunt for any interesting looking small piece of wood for pen blanksCan you imagine the look on the face of all the various wood working shop owners whenever I do it. They will always asked me why keep all the small pieces of work when they are willing to spare me big one!:bwink:

Edward Po
28-09-13, 10:31
Edward, now i want to see the machine even more after reading your last post ... :winking: I do not have the ability to make what you have, but i am very interested in seeing the finished article and how you came about making it ... :thumbs:

Here is a tutorial on how to add pictures in these forums, please read all the thread as there are a couple of ways of doing this if one does not suit you ...Click Me!! (http://www.penturners.co.uk/tips-how-use-these-forums/3-adding-image-your-post.html)

Thank you Jim. It is completely true that you need very precision machine tools to to fabricates the machine that I have built. However, it will be an honour to share it with you guys. Again please be patience.

Edward Po
28-09-13, 10:41
Excellent, I'm very keen on segmented pens, I look forward to seeing what you produce, best of luck

As I said in my other postings I have nothing to show you guys! I am here to learn:thumbs: