PDA

View Full Version : September 2016 Competition

Buckeye
01-09-16, 11:46
The day has dawned and the September Competition is underway, so dust off your thinking cap, tools and materials and get to it.

The theme is a working pen/pencil made into something that has a function not related to the pen/pencil itself or made to look like something else other than a pen/pencil.

You know that time will run away if you procrastinate. Good luck:thumbs:

If you are new to the forum you can enter the Competition if you have a post count of 25, which is easily and quickly achievable, just introduce yourself and ask a few question. Here is what the competition is all about.

The competition will end on 30th. Sept 2016 which means I must have your photos before midnight on the 30th. Sept 2016. If I get them even 1 minute into Oct. 1st. 2016 then your entry will not be included in the competition.

I will upload all the images on the 1st. October 2016, and all members will have 5 days to vote for the pen or pencil they think should win the competition, you may not vote for your own creation and you must not show your pen/pencil to any other member, it must not be shown on any other website before the end of the competition.

If you have any questions please ask.

You can use up to 3 images of your creation if you think they show it off more fully, but you must stick to the rules below.

The Prize

A Choice of 40.00 to your paypal account or these Blanks (http://www.penturners.co.uk/penturners-competition-forum/17721-september-2016-competition.html#post266521)

The Rules for the Competition.

1. You must have made 25 posts by the time you enter the competition.
2. You may enter 1 pen or pencil into the competition and it must be your own work and at least part of it must be turned on a lathe.
3. Your photographs must be taken on a clean piece of white plain paper which does not have a texture or creases, photocopy paper is ideal.
4. You must not use any props in the photographs and you can submit up to 3 photographs.
5. Your photographs must show the pen in a horizontal position as shown below.
6. Your images must be 800 pixels wide.
7. I must have your final photographs before midnight on the 30th. Sept 2016

If you PM me your images to enter the competition and later make a better pen you can PM me the photos of the new pen or pencil and I will discard the original images, that way you can be sure that you are in the competition with your first pen and if you have time to make another which you think is better you can use that one as long as I have it before the deadline.

Make sure that you keep a hi res photograph of your entry as the winner will also receive a penturners.co.uk Awards Certificate with an image of your pen. The Awards certificate is A4 and can be printed out, if you wish to use it on your craft stall, by the likes of snapmad.com or photobox.co.uk, snapmad.com would be the cheaper option if you spend 2.99 as the postage will be free, photo box will charge a minimum of 2.99 postage.

I will tweak colour, density and white balance of your images, if you request it, when you PM them to me.

Peter

Penpal
01-09-16, 11:57
Under way as we speak

Peter.

Buckeye
01-09-16, 11:58
In the last competition the voting was by PM and it worked quite well so I will keep it that way for this competition also, just to give Jim time to get back on his feet.

Also I have been toying with the idea of multiple votes from each member, so that you can nominate up to 3 pens/pencils. If you PM me your nominations so that the numbers appear in the subject line i.e. something like No. 2 / No. 5 / No. 12 then I can collate them all. The way I foresee it is that the total votes for each numbered pen/pencil will be added together and the one with the highest count is the winner, does anyone see any problems with that approach? Please discuss it to iron out any potential problems and then a decision can be made.

Peter

Macaronytony
01-09-16, 19:49
So if from the above example, if most chose No.5 as there second choice and were split on there first choice then No.5 would win?

Sent from my Galaxy 6

Buckeye
01-09-16, 19:59
So if from the above example, if most chose No.5 as there second choice and were split on there first choice then No.5 would win?

Sent from my Galaxy 6

In that example yes. I have no idea how to do it differently unless we stick to only 1 vote each, but if you had 3 votes not 1st. 2nd. and 3rd. just the 3 pens you would pick as a winner then it would still be a good vote as there would be more nominations. If you have any suggestions throw them in.

Peter

Penpal
01-09-16, 21:11
Leave it where it is any changes now would seem after the commence creating uncertainty,that way it gives continuity. by the way even on the IAP with their huge membership participation is minimal. With such a wide open comp there is such room for unusual entries.

Peter

Buckeye
06-09-16, 11:45
24 days left in the competition and I have received the first creation, I am so looking forward to this competition there will be some great entries.

Peter

wm460
07-09-16, 21:32
Too far from my shed.:thumbs::thumbs:

Buckeye
09-09-16, 08:02
There's just 3 weeks left for you to get your competition pen in.

Peter

Penpal
09-09-16, 12:20
Spoke to Mark about it he is not back home until next month.

Peter.

Buckeye
11-09-16, 19:43
These will be one of the two prizes on offer to the winner of the Sept 2016 Competition the other prize is 40.00 paid to your paypal account.

from left to right

Stainless steel swarf in tinted PR 25x25x140mm
Pine Cones in red and blue PR 21x21x140mm
Pine Cones in clear PR 23x23x140mm
Pine Cones in clear PR 23x23x140mm
Polyurethane Resin 20x20x123mm
Polyurethane Resin 20x20x123mm

The pine cone blanks can be seen on pens I have done recently the others can be seen with these links
http://www.penturners.co.uk/acrylic-turned-items/11945-chrome-pristina-fountain-pen-home-made-acrylic.html#post179741
http://www.penturners.co.uk/acrylic-turned-items/11910-rhodium-executive-senior-gent.html
http://www.penturners.co.uk/acrylic-turned-items/17046-baron-stainless-swarf.html
http://www.penturners.co.uk/casting/10364-i-found-some-old-blank-casts.html#post154789
http://www.penturners.co.uk/casting/10388-2nd-slab-blanks-post155168.html#post155168

There will be some voids in the blanks but these can be filled with CA.
The pine cone blanks need to have CA added as you turn the blanks down and will need a CA finish before being wet sanded.
The pine cone blanks in clear PR will need to be back painted, I recommend Black or Blue as I did to two of mine I also coloured the tubes with permanent markers.
The Swarf blank will also need to be back painted, I used black for mine and also coloured the tube.

The pine cone blanks and the swarf blanks have been selling for 12.50 the others I have only just come across them again.

Peter

Penpal
11-09-16, 21:54
Roll on the entries wide open subject plenty of time. I will work on mine later this week after Mark and Cherie leave tomorrow.

Peter.

Buckeye
16-09-16, 09:34
Just two weeks left until the end of the competition and we have 3 entries in the competition at the moment. There is still plenty of time to fashion your creation into something spectacular as long as you get on with it.

Peter

Penpal
16-09-16, 12:24
With the weather holding out in the UK and other places you will romp it in.

Peter.

Buckeye
18-09-16, 11:16
Only 12 days left for the competition pens to be entered.

Peter

Buckeye
19-09-16, 11:36
There's 11 more days left until the end of the competition, get a move on with your sculpture and amaze us all:thumbs:

Peter

Buckeye
20-09-16, 07:37
10 days to go so get your pen/pencil ready for the September competition.

If your creation is in portrait format you can photograph it that way for this competition as it may look odd if it is lying on it's side.

Peter

Penpal
20-09-16, 09:11
[QUOTE=Buckeye;267286]10 days to go so get your pen/pencil ready for the September competition.

If your creation is in portrait format you can photograph it that way for this competition as it may look odd if it is lying on it's side.

Peter[/QUOTE

Much better before the event. Mistrust in the future. Imagine if Brexit were treated this way.

Peter.

Buckeye
20-09-16, 11:45
[QUOTE=Buckeye;267286]10 days to go so get your pen/pencil ready for the September competition.

Peter[/QUOTE

Much better before the event. Mistrust in the future. Imagine if Brexit were treated this way.

Peter.

All complaints of mistrust, in writing to the management, thank you.

Peter

Penpal
20-09-16, 12:08
[QUOTE=Penpal;267304]

All complaints of mistrust, in writing to the management, thank you.

Peter

Since I joined this forum I have endeavoured to participate, that means have a voice, express myself. Who is the management in this case you Peter are running competitions. To this end I have participated fully, just like to know when it is time to be consistent after the commencement of a competition and entries accepted.

Peter.

Buckeye
20-09-16, 12:55
Not having had formal training to run the competitions I have fine tuned and adjusted things as they have cropped up. The requirement to photograph pens in the landscape format didn't seem right after I received one entry that would clearly look wrong if it wasn't in Portrait format and that is the reason I have relaxed the requirement for this competition. It was rather stupid of me not to have foreseen the possibility of images in Portrait Format for this competition, before it started, once I received an entry that showed there could be a problem I again adjusted and fine tuned the requirements.

I am sorry that you will have mistrust in the future with my running things and to that end I will see out the current competitions and step down, so you will be able to put yourself forward and possibly show us how to run things properly.

Peter

Penpal
20-09-16, 20:17
Not having formal training in making pens, any computer work, the tyranny of distance from the HQ of the forum to assist the forum in running competitions would seem too far away to me.

I like the fact that after the event you have seen fit to fine tune this competition for one entry. In the same vein this could apply to no props, plain paper background,presentation of entries on the flat and horizontal.

Contributing in the next competition I look forward to a conclusion of them for this year, they have given me a challenge I have met always within the rules set by yourself receiving guidance from you from time to time as to definitions.
these have allowed me to conform in the best way.

Peter.

Vic Perrin
21-09-16, 07:06
Come on let's not fall out over a what I see is a very slight change of requirement which to me came over as advice and will help portray competion entries in a better light.

I enter these competitions for the fun of it and get great enjoyment from looking at all the different approaches that forum members make.

We should be grateful that someone has given their time to organise these competitions it is not an easy task and is very time consuming. If not careful we could loose this fun section from our Forum :thinks:

Penpal
21-09-16, 08:41
Come on let's not fall out over a what I see is a very slight change of requirement which to me came over as advice and will help portray competion entries in a better light.

I enter these competitions for the fun of it and get great enjoyment from looking at all the different approaches that forum members make.

We should be grateful that someone has given their time to organise these competitions it is not an easy task and is very time consuming. If not careful we could loose this fun section from our Forum :thinks:

I second this approach, the thing I miss and I assume in the UK you are better placed is being able to pick up the phone and say hi about this and that. Sometimes I have been tempted to get on a plane and visit so as to meet members.

In another forum I have done this and have many firm friends all with differing views.

I was just looking at well over a hundred pen blanks a guy called John in the UK ordered from me ,he felt he wanted to make pens from a lot of Aussie Blanks , I bought them in from all over. He then dropped out of the forum, sad story for me.

Not dampened but happy to have entered so many comps, will do the present and the next one. Not an easy task all round.

Good to see another Super Moderator I guess there are more on the forum as well.

Peter.

Buckeye
21-09-16, 10:10
9 days left to get your super creation into the competition.

Peter

Buckeye
22-09-16, 16:49
It's a bit late, but you have 8 days left.

Peter

Bill Mooney
22-09-16, 17:42
I have nothing for this comp I'm afraid due to severe back pain. I am more than happy for you to continue running the comps Peter (Buckeye). Rules are not laid down in stone & sometimes need to be altered to suit the needs. I'm happy with this as the same criteria applies to all entrants so the handicap is the same for everyone. Have another think Peter.

Penpal
22-09-16, 21:51
Back pain I have known and suffered from these days all pain is gone but it can return, get well soon mate. I told Woody what took away my pain and it works for me.

Peter.

Buckeye
23-09-16, 07:16
This is the last weekend before the end of the competition so make the most of it.

Peter

Buckeye
24-09-16, 14:28
We have four entries in the competition and it finishes next Friday so make the most of this weekend.

Peter

Dalboy
24-09-16, 14:38
And yet again I have not even got an idea what to make or even thought about starting. But you know me I will rush around right near the end to start

Buckeye
25-09-16, 07:35
Make the most of today, Sunday, to get your pen/pencil ready for the competition which ends next Friday:thumbs:

Peter

Buckeye
26-09-16, 10:01
It's coming to the end of your time left to enter the competition on Friday.

Peter

Buckeye
27-09-16, 06:39
It's just 4 days until the end of the competition on Friday.

Peter

Penpal
27-09-16, 23:55
REally like the box on entry to the site with the latest news on the competition.

Peter.

Buckeye
28-09-16, 11:16
Just 3 days left until the end of the competition.

Peter

Buckeye
29-09-16, 07:03
Just today and tomorrow left for the competition. We now have 6 entries.

Peter

Buckeye
30-09-16, 12:06
We now have 7 entries and even though that is a poor show, the entries we have are all the more special. I can understand why most people haven't entered as it did need the imagination to kick in more than it does to assemble a kit pen. We may get a couple more before the deadline of Midnight tonight.

Peter

Dalboy
30-09-16, 12:13
Sorry but I have not managed one this time trying to catch up on all the little jobs I need done and also making things for other competitions just ran out of time here

Buckeye
30-09-16, 21:54
I have just tried to post the Entries and because of errors I can't. I will try again, but don't hold out much hope unless Phil or Jim re-uploads the magic file.

Peter

Buckeye
30-09-16, 21:54
I have just tried to post the Entries and because of errors I can't. I will try again, but don't hold out much hope unless Phil or Jim re-uploads the magic file.

Peter