• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Dust Extraction ?

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
My Garage is something like 20' x 10'
Now I have a Lathe, Bandsaw, Sander and Grinder. I have a large Numatic 'Henry' Commercial Wet or Dry - WV470 Vacuum I have fitted it with a Permatex Filter and use HepaFilter Bags. It seems to do the job of dust extraction if I connect it to the various devices. But when I use the lathe for sanding I have no effective way of removing the dust.
Do any of you guys have a solutions?
Even build your own solutions...
I have started looking into the Suspended Extraction Boxes Jet AFS-500 Air Filtration System are these any good...?

All and any advice greatly received....

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
My Garage is something like 20' x 10'
Now I have a Lathe, Bandsaw, Sander and Grinder. I have a large Numatic 'Henry' Commercial Wet or Dry - WV470 Vacuum I have fitted it with a Permatex Filter and use HepaFilter Bags. It seems to do the job of dust extraction if I connect it to the various devices. But when I use the lathe for sanding I have no effective way of removing the dust.
Do any of you guys have a solutions?
Even build your own solutions...
I have started looking into the Suspended Extraction Boxes Jet AFS-500 Air Filtration System are these any good...?

All and any advice greatly received....

i use dust masks when on the lathe and extractor is on the saw only filled a 55 liter drum in 2 weeks :goesred:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I had the Microclean MC760 Microclene from tool post before I sold up and they are fantastic I had it on the wall about 2ft from the headstock and you could see the dust flying across to it I will be getting another one it was much better than the big Jet afs1000b which I also had and sold

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
I had the Microclean MC760 Microclene from tool post before I sold up and they are fantastic I had it on the wall about 2ft from the headstock and you could see the dust flying across to it I will be getting another one it was much better than the big Jet afs1000b which I also had and sold

Cheers Woody....
Just calculated that I would need a MC460, I suppose having the next size up MC760
can only be an improvement and it is cheaper -whats your thoughts?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Cheers Woody....
Just calculated that I would need a MC460, I suppose having the next size up MC760
can only be an improvement and it is cheaper -whats your thoughts?

My thoughts exactly my workshop then was 10ft x 20ft now it is only 10ft x 8ft but I was so imprest with the 760 I will get another one even if it is to powerful as you say it can only be a good thing

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
This is my dust x for the VL100 pics of powerful vac, connected behind the mandrel and my fine dust x above the lathe via a flx 12 inch connection to atmosphere outside.

Kind regards Peter.:rolling:

Attachments

• DSCF0013-001.JPG
    DSCF0013-001.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCF0014-001.JPG
    DSCF0014-001.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCF0004-133.JPG
    DSCF0004-133.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 42

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I`m a bit belt & braces when it comes to extraction, whilst I have a home made air filter which works very well I personally think it`s more important to stop as much dust as possible getting airborne in the first place. While an air filter is great for removing airborne dust it`s also excellent for demonstrating just how much dust is in the air by how quick the filter get dirty, if it`s in the air & being collected by the filter it`s also in your lungs if you're not wearing a mask.

I have a poseable hose made from a flexible toilet connector 4"/110mm Flexible WC Connector (Long Length) - 4" Straight (9) - Flexible WC Connectors - WC Connectors | McAlpine Plumbing Products which is connected to my dust extractor behind the lathe to try & collect as much dust at source as possible.
I also have my shop air filter running & when sanding wear a disposable dust mask.

This may seem over the top but having watched a few of the older demonstrators who now in later life have breathing difficulties I personally don't think you can be careful enough, particularly the younger turners amongst us who hopefully will have a long lifetime of turning.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
My workshop is a series of areas dedicated to various machines techniques and wonderment. In this equivalent of over 30 metres by over 4 metres there are at least ten or fifteen methods of dust extraction the basic plan for me is to remove dust this I have given a nudge. The only way to remove shavings and chips is to have a virtual cyclone strong enough to rip cloths and papers out of your hands (I have acheived this) but choose a compromise, within a few metres of the pics I posted there are 7 other systems I use.
So that leaves me now with the heavier shavings easily disposed of. Having plastic plumbing pipe wrapped with earthed wire to machinery, internal earthed wire ad nausum over the years with many guys I have carried out experiments that prove all my methods.

Like Woody been there done that just get on with it applies to me.

Have success Kind regards Peter.:thinks:

MikeD

Registered
No, no you don't want any of that cissy safety stuff, be a man. :nonono:
Grow a beard and smoke a pipe.
With your lungs full of pipe smoke the dust won't get in there. :ciggrin:
If you're lucky some of the dust will get into the bowl of your pipe and you will start hallucinating from the fumes. Make a note of the type of wood that make you hallucinate and only turn that type in future :wink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).