• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My workshop equipment: A lathe with very special features not found on other machine

Edward Po

Hello Everyone:

I am a newbie in this forum and I hope to learn more on pen turning from all the members here. Also I would like to share some of my experience in some of the equipments that I have built over the years. The first piece of equipment that I want to share with all the members here is my homebuilt wood lathe. As I am new here and being an illiterate in computer system, I will be deeply appreciated if my reader can be patience and understanding while I learn to navigate through the system etc.

Before I start here is my very important opening statement:

THE MACHINES SHOWN HERE WERE BUILT BY ME. HOWEVER THE CONCEPT AND DESIGN OF THE MACHINE BELONGS TO MY VERY GOOD FRIEND AND MENTOR, MR LESLIE GEYER OF SOUTH AUSTRALIA. ALL CREDIT GOES TO HIM AND HIS FAMILY. THANK YOU MY DEAR FRIEND.

For the older generation of wood turners, especially those from Australia, you may heard of his name and the upcoming machine. If so, please bear with me while I share it with the younger generation. In the past, I have written an article in one of Australia's leading wood working forum on this machine, it has attracted a lot of attention. Unfortunately for reason known only to them, it also attracts a lot of unkind remarks. As I am sharing my experience and various technical drawings strictly on a voluntarily basis, I will only answer posting or requests for technical details etc whether through this thread or my PM. All other postings which I deem unkind will be ignored. Your advance understanding and forgiveness will be deeply appreciated.

Coming up next: Introduction. . . . . . . . . . .:wink:

Edward Po

Hi All:

Model 300, General View 800 x 600.jpg

There are two sizes of wood lathe that I have build. The above photo show the smallest size machine.

I have named it as MEGATURN Model 300BT.

Edward Po

Brief specification for the Model 300 BT are as follows:

General
Distance between centers : 350.0 mm
Swing over bed : 150.0 mm
Max diameter workpiece using template copying attachment : Approx. Diameter 240.0 mm
Max diameter workpiece using sample copy attachment : Approx. Diameter 65.0 mm
Overall dimension : 780.0 mm (L) x 350.0 mm (W) x 400.0 mm (Ht)
Weight: : Approx 40 kg

Head stock
Spindle : M30 x 4
Spindle Taper (Front and rear) : MT 2
No of Indexable Head : 24 holes / Division
RPM : 500 to 3000 rpm (To be upgrade to 4,200 rpm)
Type of speed control : Electronic speed controller
Motor Rating : 1 hp, 3 phase x 50 hz, 2 poles TEFC type

Tail Stock
Spindle travel : 50.0 mm
Spindle taper : MT 2

Machine features
Standard build in Template copying attachment (Batch production)
Standard build in Sample copying attachment (BATCH PRODUCTION)
Standard build in Cutter Sharpening attachment

Side guide / protractor attachment
Fluting attactment

MikeD

Registered
Hi Edward,
That is very impressive.
The most unusual part at first sight is the bed of the lathe where you have gone for a large plate instead of bars or a casting with a centre gap. Do you find shavings accumulate and give a problem or do you rely on dust extraction?
Did you consider making the bed sloping to improve visibility and shavings clearance?
Did you have the spindle manufactured or did you use an off the shelf unit?

Would like to see details of your larger model as well if possible.

Shame you don't live in Europe, I could see quite a market for your design

Mike

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Wow as Mike says, that is impressive !

As an ex engineer (long time ago) I can appreciate the skill and work in this machine.

Can you describe the copy function ?

Jim

Grand Master
Edward, this is a marvellous machine i am very impressed with the engineering i see. What is the bed made from? :thinks:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Nice bit of engineering Edward from what I can see is it built as a copy lathe only the reason I say this is I cant see a place for a fixed tool rest but in saying that I have seen videos of a Japan's turner with just a block of wood as a tool rest and the tooling you have in the middle looks to be the cutter that works on a copy lathe please correct me if I'm wrong and thank you for showing us your lathe

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Edward,

Out of Sth Australia many years ago came a lathe larger than your lathe designed and built in this fashion from memory it did not have variable speed but at this time variable speed was accomplished another way mechanically by developers such as woodfast also in Sth Australia. It the first mentioned lathe had the features including copying using a tool holder very similar to yours. I notice the spindle travel is 50mm which rules out drilling on the lathe perhaps not a problem for me because I drill using a pillar drill with sufficient throw. No doubt your larger lathe will have increased throw. Sorry my memory does not pick up at this time on the names is it possible your two developers were involved in the development of the first lathe I mentioned because as far as I know it is no longer in production.

Congratulations on the building of your lathe it has great possibilities.

Welcome to the forum and I look forward to many discussions with you in the future, I made my first lathe in the eighties for Wood turning and enjoy another famous Metal Lathe made in Sth Australia mine in the 60,s made by Hercus.

When I first left School I commenced an apprenticeship as a Printing Engineer in a large Govt Printing Office whilst there I remained transfixed by a good friend a Compositor who owned an Hispano Suiza a huge old heavy car, Bill Tomkins was his name and he designed and made, patented a carburetter that gave him 30 miles to the gallon, this was subsequently pressure bought by an oil company and buried in the sands of time.

My apprenticeship was not fully signed onto when my Dad offered me an opportunity to take up another vocation as sixteen year old in Australias largest City Sydney an exciting prospect as a young man.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Interesting looking lathe Edward, the skill to make such a lathe is most admirable :bravo:

Do you have a youtube video clip or such of the lathe in action?

Edward Po

Hi all:

Thank you all for your kind comments. All questions will be answered in due course neither individual or collective postings. More important I invite all of you to be very patience and continue to subscribe to this thread as I slowly show and share with you guys the wonders and capabilities of this machine's design via text description, still photos and most important video clips showing the machine in operation. I am very sure by the end of this thread, you be shaking your head not believing what you are seeing and also almost wanting to get rid of your existing machine and owning this machine. Please make sure you do not miss it!! :wink:

Coming up next: MEGATURN, Model 1500...........

Edward Po

Wow as Mike says, that is impressive !

As an ex engineer (long time ago) I can appreciate the skill and work in this machine.

Can you describe the copy function ?

Will appreciates if you can accept my invitation to view the video clip and still photos in the coming posting. You will not be disappointed.:tongue:

Edward Po

Hi Edward,
That is very impressive.
The most unusual part at first sight is the bed of the lathe where you have gone for a large plate instead of bars or a casting with a centre gap. Do you find shavings accumulate and give a problem or do you rely on dust extraction?
Did you consider making the bed sloping to improve visibility and shavings clearance?
Did you have the spindle manufactured or did you use an off the shelf unit?

Would like to see details of your larger model as well if possible.

Shame you don't live in Europe, I could see quite a market for your design

Mike

Hello Mike:

Answer to your various questions

The huge flat bed used in the machine served a very important function in the operation of the machine, especially the safety aspect.

Like all wood lathe, wood shaving does get flown all over the bed, however the moment of the tool jig which is holding the cutter will swept away any shaving in its path. Also, like all others wood working machine, the use of dust extractor does help in the housekeeping during operation.

Tilting the bed will definetly help in the control of the shaving. I am in the mist of designing with such bed for a wheelchair handicap man.

All part of the machine was fabricated or machined by me. The only purchased items are the motor, speed controller, bearings, grinding wheel, standard components and mountingg screws etc.

Coming posting will reveal the history of the machine and it was constructed.

Thank you

Edward Po

Btw, you are welcome to be my sales representative if I ever want to market it!:tongue:

Attachments

• cases 1.jpg
    cases 1.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 2
  • wax 1.JPG
    wax 1.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 2
  • pen blanks 1.JPG
    pen blanks 1.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 2

Edward Po

Nice bit of engineering Edward from what I can see is it built as a copy lathe only the reason I say this is I cant see a place for a fixed tool rest but in saying that I have seen videos of a Japan's turner with just a block of wood as a tool rest and the tooling you have in the middle looks to be the cutter that works on a copy lathe please correct me if I'm wrong and thank you for showing us your lathe

It was designed not only for copying but for other functions not found on standard wood lathe

Edward Po

WOW !! If you're ever in America and want to come over and build one here, we have a spare bedroom. :winking:Very impressive !!
Carol

Buy me a pair of airticket and I winged my way to your house with full set of engineering drawings, better still since I am semi retired I don't mind spending some time in your country so that I can make one for you.

Seriously speaking, you don't need expensive or huge machine to make one. I believe with careful planing you should be able to dulpicate the same machine that I have.

Do you dare to take up the challenge?:face:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).