• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pear Bowl

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
I had an 8 x 8 x 2 square of pear which has sat in the shed for over 10 years waiting in vain to become a stick head.

In an effort to cheer myself up today and inspired by Alex's Elm bowl, I thought why not ! Well, after knackering myself cutting it hexagonal by hand ( really need a bandsaw :sob:) this is what I got. Finished size at 7 1/2" x 1 /3/4"

Sanding sealer and finished with friction polish.

SAM_2616.JPG

SAM_2617.JPG

SAM_2618.JPG

One done inside as I thought the lovely colour got washed out in the outside pics.

SAM_2620.JPG

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
That is a really good effort Phill but why knacker yourself cutting the edges off????
You have a bowl gouge so why not turn them off. That is what a gouge is for. I never ever cut the edges off!!!!!!!:nonono::nonono::nonono:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Well if that is a first effort you are doing well my first looked nothing like that glad i inspired you.

I can emphasis with you on the cutting corners off by had as did that before i got the saw.

got a large lump of pear that i am waiting to cut

Well done the shape is very nice :thumbs:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Thanks Alex appreciate the kind words.

Terry, I turned it round with 3/4 roughing gouge (slow job) and the rest was done mainly with a 1/2 round scraper, I finished the outside curve with a 1 inch skew though.

Quite chuffed considering I didn't have the right tool for the job :funny:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
I have turned once rough a whole bowl with a round nose scraper but that was when i did not have as many as i do now i worked out the other day that out of the 20 chisels i have only 4 of them i have bought new

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Blooming well done we ol cocker considering you used two tools that should never be used to make a bowl so the experts say Phil that is one very fine looking bowl bloody well done mate
My very first bowls were made with home made scrapers we didnt have anything else back then

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Exactly the situation Alex, won a 3/8 & 1/2 inch bowl gouge on eBay last week but not arrived yet, so I made do.

Woody thank you, that's praise indeed from you! You're very kind.

So what shouldn't be used then?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hi Phil the roughing gouge is designed for spindle work as is the skew but the skew can be used to cut the dovetail on the foot and for beads but not as a skew

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
I must admit rounding it off was a slow job but that was the nest I had to had. So took it slow and it worked OK.

I may well not have used the skew "properly" either but it did it's job and gave me a finish that hardly needed sanding. I do like pear to turn based on this first experience, it was a pleasure.

Might have been more enjoyable if I had the right gouge

Experts, schmexperts pah ! :face::face::face::face:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Thanks Alex appreciate the kind words.

Terry, I turned it round with 3/4 roughing gouge (slow job) and the rest was done mainly with a 1/2 round scraper, I finished the outside curve with a 1 inch skew though.

Quite chuffed considering I didn't have the right tool for the job :funny:

Improvisation Phill!!!!!

Jim

Grand Master
That is a very clean bowl Phill, you done a great job on this with a very nice finish to boot .. :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Phill,

Pear indeed a worthy bowl using whatever tools you used. When I became a tradesman in the 50,s a very wise man said to me as a journeyman you will have been expected to learn the rules now as a practicing person its up to you to develop your techniques to suit yourself just how you acheive that makes a craftsman. This was in the Electrical Trade. By the way try this Google your name simply that big brother can tell the world of your trade details especially licensed folk including their addresses etc.

In the 1980,s the guy who every year cleaned up the major prizes in best in show etc used old bridge timber sometimes up to a hundred years old his only chisel ever used was a heavy scraper. Like most people I knew every major demo given by international Turners visiting Australia came with their own versions of chisels often backed by major manufacturers and yes I have ended up with a great variety of them in all shapes and sizes, wish I could remember their names. Hearkening back to the bridge timber man he used to make his own Rush Lamp Shades became expert at it, this he did as a complete amateur no lessons his shaping and finishing was world class.

I have a mate in our Woodcraft Guild who exhibits rarely now because every year he entered in the Annual Exhibition he cleaned up the Major Prizes indeed a humble man he developed his bowl turning to a high degree including deep latticed bowls his finishes were exciting. Richard Raffan always said his work and finishes were excellent Richard recently had a sale of his timber with a view to selling all his gear to concentrate on Painting in his Studio as well as world travel demoing.

Love seeing your bowl it is a real ripper.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).