• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Olive Wood

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Had a stand next to James Newburn, the owner of Olive Wood Turning at the Game and Country Show in Wiltshire over the weekend, great crack. He really has some splendid wood. One of his cheese boards didnt have a hole in it for his trade mark tied thong to hang up the board so he swopped it with me for an exec pen in gun metal made from the wood as a gift for his wife. I'm not on commission, I do know him well and wouldn't hesitate to recommend him, Welcome to Olive Wood Turning - Olive Wood Turning.

He often has the option on Olive burrs, big ones, but the problem is that they are very expensive and are normally acquired by companies for veneering or the like. Burrs can be as much as 20€ a kilo. Anyone up for a tenner in a kitty to see how we could get hold of one for splitting into blanks?

Anyway here's a picture of the cheeseboard he couldnt sell, its about eighteen inches long - pictures aren't great, the lines are much blacker and the contrast quite striking.

Jim

Grand Master
Count me in on £10 Neil, i have some lovely Spanish Olive at the moment, but i do have this guy saved in my favourites for my next buy of Olive ... :thumbs:

think you done good out of the swap btw ... :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Neil, Looking good that Olive wood, have success there are incredible sources of Olive wood about if you can buy blanks 20mm cut and dried the economy is obvious if you do the maths as I have over the years. I feel an Olive making session coming on for me as well.

Have success I always look for Olive au naturale because with some dressings it accentuates differently to when we make our pens.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I'm game for a tenners worth..Neil is this the guy from Lytham that you met at Southport ?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).