• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Lidded bowl

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Made this evening, the bowl & lid are from the same ash blank with the finial made from a Blackwood pen blank.

I finished the piece with carnauba wax buffed on a mop, I took a few photos as I turned this so if anyone wants to see a WIP I`ll happily post them up.

Jim

Grand Master
Magic, i like this very much Doug, you got a very good finish on this my friend .. A WIP would be great Doug ... :thumbs:

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Made this evening, the bowl & lid are from the same ash blank with the finial made from a Blackwood pen blank.

I finished the piece with carnauba wax buffed on a mop, I took a few photos as I turned this so if anyone wants to see a WIP I`ll happily post them up.

Brilliant - Love the finish and the beautiful contrast between bowl and the finial :thumbs::thumbs:

Yes please Doug, I will view these on the beach......:ciggrin::ciggrin:
I am taken my tablet so I don't miss to much....

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Thanks for all the positive comments.

The steps I took in making it are as follows.

Firstly the blank was held between centers with a steb center in the headstock, the bottom of the bowl shaped & a dovetailed spigot formed.

Reversed & held in a chuck the center of the bowl is remove using a parting tool, easing the sides of the cut to make room for the tool.

The cut out will become the lid, you don`t need to cut all the way to the center of the bowl to remove the cut out just far enough until it can be snapped of.

The inside of the bowl can then be finished, a shoulder is cut for the lid to sit on is formed about 20mm smaller than the cut out.

The cut out is then turned between centers to form the outside of the lid, the tail stock nib is left so it can be reversed & held in pin jaws.

Reversed & the under side of the lid turned, both nibs left from the tail stock are removed off the lathe with a chisel & sanded.

Finally the finial is turned & CA glued to the lid.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Very interesting Doug I have never turned a bowl between centers must give it a go thank you

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for adding this Doug, if i get time shortly would you mind if i made a PDF from this post to add to the tutorial page? :thinks:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
As long as I don't have to do it Jim you're more than welcome, I still can't turn the 4th photo the right way up try as I might, so no chance for me making it into a PDF :goesred::goesred:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Quite a lot of care Doug worth the effort. Always scary the sharp point on the handle to the lid however they make exciting viewing as well. Back to when we had 5 kids under eight we used a family saying FLO (family lay off) would have to invoke that with the point.

Envisage this a centre piece of distinction a worthy one indeed.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Thanks Brian.

I don`t know why it was the wrong way round originally as it was showing correctly in Photobucket.
It`s correct now & I've done nothing & funnily enough my last Celtic knot pen has changed orientation as if by magic, as that to was originally showing the wrong way round but again was correct in PB.

There must be a satellite delay between the forum & PB, or the picture fairies have gone out in support with the teachers :funny::funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).