• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A Newbe

oldtimer

Apprentice Member
Greetings All

I am a newbe to pen making. Although I have been turning for a couple years now. I have just decided to have a go at pens.
I have been doing a lot of segmented as well as the normal stuff.
I am taking it steady at the moment until I know what I am doing. So far I have had a go at the el-cheapo twist pen and I think I am getting the hang of it, but of course, like a kid with a new toy, I want to move on to better things. So I guess I will asking a lot of questions so hopefully you guy will be able to help.
My main problem will be that I may not grasp the answers the first time around as I am an old man and although I spent my working life as a carpenter, we oldies sometimes need guiding like a little kid. So please be kind fellows if I ask the question more than once.

Nice to meet you folks.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Welcome aboard Oldtimer, i am not quite old but still need guiding so i can place myself in your league. :thumbs: There are some very talented pen turners here who are not afraid to share there knowledge maybe they are all in bed at the minute thou. :nooidea: Would be nice to see your turned pens so far. :thumbs:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Hi Oldtimer ..welcome to the forums.

I'm a total greenhorn to this turning thing and you have probably forgotten much more than I will ever know. However there are folks on here that know everything there is to know about this pen turning thingy....and fret not, it may well be that you will have to ask your questions more than once as most of the codgers on here wont hear you the first time anyway !

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
OldTimer, Welcome on board, you definately have found the right forum.. Being a newbie myself this is the place.
You will get a good bit of banter and the knowledge these guys have is outstanding and best of all they are more than willing to share / teach / pass on their knowledge.
Post up some pictures of your work, we all would enjoy seeing them.. :thumbs::thumbs:

So, Enjoy Oldtimer... :banana::banana::banana:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Welcome oldtimer from an ol codger most on here are as nutty as fruit cakes so if you ask the same question ten times over most will have forgotten you have already ask now were was I ah yes gardening no I hate that any way good to have you on board right lights out good night I think

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Welcome Oldtimer not sure your definition of old have seen a few summers myself, enjoy the forum.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
What's all this? A new Oldtimer? Since when has there been a new Oldtimer?
Don't ask twice, I heard you the first time. I said I never repeat myself twice.
Welcome in old un, Woody some company for you, anuver olgit come to join the loony party init?

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums Oldtimer, looking forward to seeing your segmented items especially ... :thumbs:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Welcome from the youngest member

Thought you were the second youngest ?

Anyway welcome Oldtimer, you'll fit in well here I'm sure, loads of folks on here willing to share expertise and advice.

Enjoy, let's see some of what you've done so far, we always like to see peoples work.

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Thought you were the second youngest ?

Anyway welcome Oldtimer, you'll fit in well here I'm sure, loads of folks on here willing to share expertise and advice.

Enjoy, let's see some of what you've done so far, we always like to see peoples work.

Ok I am the second youngest but the youngest regular member

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hello, Oldtimer,
Welcome to the nuthouse! We are all mentally deficient on this site but some of us know a lot about everything! Ask away!
Regards,
Bob.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Welcome Oldtimer, most of us are as you describe yourself - keen but borderline Alzheimers cases. Ask away, if we haven't just taken our medication the answers may even make some sense ... Except for Terry's of course. We just humour him and hide our tools when he stops by!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).