• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hybrid Pen Blanks

Jim

Grand Master
Has anyone thought of making these blanks, they seem to sell well and not many suppliers here in the UK ... :thinks:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I have to be honest I just dont like them but that is just me I think they are way over priced but saying that I have never made them from what I see a bit of off cut wood maybe a bit of burr and some resin of some sort so why are they a whole lot more expensive than a whole wood or resin pen blank it just dont add up to me sorry please correct me if I'm wrong

Jim

Grand Master
They are over priced, that is why we need more people to make them ... :bwink:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I have to be honest I just dont like them but that is just me I think they are way over priced but saying that I have never made them from what I see a bit of off cut wood maybe a bit of burr and some resin of some sort so why are they a whole lot more expensive than a whole wood or resin pen blank it just dont add up to me sorry please correct me if I'm wrong

Woody,

George has put his prices up to nearly a tenner a piece and I think he's now way overpriced. The blanks that he makes with the mini cones in are fantastic (in my opinion) and polish up a real treat. The work that does go into them is significant. The resin that he uses is a combination of various resins, he did show me how he does it but he has promised to kill me if I talk about it. The reason hes so expensive is that he currently has exclusivity, and he is trying to make a living out of it having given up his painting and decorating business. Now too bloody expensive in my opinion.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
At least he would be doing something useful painting and decorating.
I don't understand the exclusivity part Neil anyone can make them with a little effort and will to want.
He don't hold no patent on them and if he does I would like to challenge it.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
At least he would be doing something useful painting and decorating.
I don't understand the exclusivity part Neil anyone can make them with a little effort and will to want.
He don't hold no patent on them and if he does I would like to challenge it.

Brian,

He's only exclusive in that he is the only person, (that I know of) who makes them. There's nothing that anyone else cant do, but he is very protective of the resin that he uses, apparently its not an off the shelf resin. May be you can shed some speculation on that Brian?

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Really like those Texas Hybrid ones ..but they seem to be out of stock of everything :down:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
May be you can shed some speculation on that Brian?
There are many different formulas Neil each one claiming to be the best, clearest, hardest setting, fastest etc.
George is gonna have a hard time if he is relying on these alone, I know his hollow forms are pretty and he wants to be a pro turner I wish him luck.
I would need garaunteed volumes to come out of retirement in that industry.
Turnover and profit are vastly different when setting up a proper environment to practice in this feild.
These fumes are killers and I am already ultra sensative to them after the years I spent with them.
I do hope you kitchen casters take note of the H&S sheet tjat comes with these products?
If you don't get one ask for one and read it, you are subjecting all about you to what you are doing.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Ed,

They are easy to turn, the minicones ones are consistent but getting a really smooth finish across the point at which the mini cones can be an issue, patience required, the burr ones are easy, you need to go easy at the outset as the material density varies, so its small cuts , then get used to it.

I thoroughly enjoyed turning them, but they should be reserved for that special pen! Too costly otherwise, although the Atrax that I pictured above spent ten minutes on the stall at £50.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).