• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Vase

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Made a start cutting up some Beech I spalted about 6 years ago, pleased with how it has turned out my first piece form it is a vase, 5" high & 5" at its widest point, finished with carnauba wax.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
That is very nice Doug well worth the wait a nice form and finish mate well done you

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

There should have been a second photo in my original post but once again I've managed a "spheres up" with photobucket, so here it is second time around.:nooidea::nooidea:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Doug,

Well made I like the substantial thickness of the lip seems to me folks get too arty on that as a rule most houses used to have chipped lips on their turned vases. Also a real good thing is to fit a glass insert if live flowers are to be used, easy to clean saves the wood damage over time.

Home spalting indeed much easier in your country than where I live not enough moist damp. Sounds like home brew it must either spalt or mold or is it malt or spoilt.

Thanks for showing great ideas well made.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Thanks Richard & Peter for your comments.

Home spalting indeed much easier in your country than where I live not enough moist damp.

I can imagine Peter, over here the main problem with some timbers is stopping it spalting, Sycamore is a devil to dry without some discolouration, I've even tried undercover vertical stacking to prevent it, but still ended up giving it a spray with a fungicide when black growth started to form on the surface.
That said sometimes it`s a bonus, a large apple tree I didn't have time to deal with straight after it had been felled spalted beautifully when left to its own devices, what a treat when finally I got to split it up into rough blanks.

MikeD

Registered
Very nice Doug.

It would be very useful for some of us if you would do some WIP shots so we can understand the sequence of operation.

Does remind me of a spittoon though :whistling:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Cheers chaps.

It would be very useful for some of us if you would do some WIP shots so we can understand the sequence of operation.

To be honest mike, the blank is just held between centers & the outside shape is turned, a spigot cut for fitting in the chuck, it`s turned round, held in the chuck & hollowed out. Not a great deal to it, just keep monitoring the thickness of the walls of the vase so as not to cut through. That said I plan to make a straight vase so will try & remember to take photos as I go.

Does remind me of a spittoon though :whistling:

:funny::funny: Well I was bought up on John Wayne films :funny: perhaps the shape was subliminal :thinks: the good lady just called it "fogyish":rant:

This vase & a few of my turnings are based on memories of ornaments my mum had when I was a kid, this is another I turned a while back, though her`s was cream & green ceramic & not Yew, but it`s one that sticks in my mind.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).