• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Adjustable bandsaw sled for Celtic knots and segmenting

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I have just made up this sled for making Celtic knots and for segmenting.
It is made from 12mm MDF with hardwood standoffs and hardwood sliding arm on the underside.
The sled has an adjustable arm with an end stop for the blank so as to give repeatable accurate cuts. The arm can move backwards and forwards for accurate positioning of the blank prior to cutting. The arm is slotted and moves through a fixed 6mm dowel. The baseplate is slotted in an arc to allow the cutting angle to be altered and the arm is locked in position by a 6mm wing nut.
The hardwood standoffs on the underside are for the bolts that go through to the arm and in this case are made from oak and are greased up with candlewax to stop snagging.

Photo 1 shows the baseplate with the arm fitted.
Photo 2 shows with a blank in position and hard up against the end stop
Photo 3 shows with the blank in position but the angle altered to the band saw blade
Photo 4 shows the underside with the oak sliding arm and the 2 standoffs.

Attachments

• 003 (640x480).jpg
    003 (640x480).jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 214
  • 001 (640x480).jpg
    001 (640x480).jpg
    366 KB · Views: 210
  • 002 (640x480).jpg
    002 (640x480).jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 210
  • 004 (640x480).jpg
    004 (640x480).jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 210

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well made and thought out Terry I may make 1 one day but I cant see it being this side of Christmas

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Looks like a sterling job Terry, well made :thumbs:

I just use my miter gauge, but it`s horses for courses.

Jim

Grand Master
Looks good Terry, well made and very well thought out ... Have you tested it out yet? :thinks:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Looks good Terry, well made and very well thought out ... Have you tested it out yet? :thinks:

I've tested it out on a few bits of scrap wood and it works a treat. I am waiting for a new band saw blade before I try making a pen in earnest. I am hoping the blade will be here around Monday as it has been despatched and then I will make a pen next week!!!

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Hi Terry, may i suggest that you include some peg holes as stops that will ensure they are repeatable Frankie.

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Looks like I have something to do this weekend. I only hope it's a good as both yours or Frankie's when I finish it......

Most Excellent :claps::claps::claps:

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Looks like I have something to do this weekend. I only hope it's a good as both yours or Frankie's:
Cant wait to see what design you come up with
Or you could just copy one of ours but would be nice to see your own interpretation of it
:wink:good luck no pressure lol

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
That is possibly the simplest one I have seen made Terry, well done and well thought out..:thumbs:

Its one for me to put n the to do list now. :thumbs:.and it's your fault..:nonono:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).