• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

CA Glue

Jim

Grand Master
I didn't realise that this product had a shelf life? A few years ago i left this in the shed over the winter period unused as i had bought a few off ebay, on my return to the shed around spring or maybe a little earlier when the time came to use the CA i was astounded that it had set solid. I looked on google to research this issue only to find that it had a shelf life. Now i know not to buy this item in bulk ... :down:

Have you had this issue, or did you know better ... :whistling:

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
I buy 5g bottles Jim, they dont last long, I cant remember having one go off?

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Thought this was only when opened? If it had not been opened Jim it should not go off? :mooney2:

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
yes they do go off Jim your correct Igot a batch cheap because of this and they went off my false econamy:rolling:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Like Frankie, I buy mine from Toolstation. The Mitre adhesive is med/thick, I also buy their low viscosity (thin)stuff. Apparently water is catalyst so you need to keep opened bottles as dry as possible or it will go off in the bottle.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Just looking at that link, that is a good price for the CA and activator together, its £6+ just for the CA where i get mine, and £5+ for the activator. :down:

Jim

Grand Master

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
And here we are sending off to Aussy for our pen kits because they are cheaper, and your glue is dearer than ours. Something doesn't sound right here. :bwink:

andys den

Registered
Place it in the fridge with the lid on tight and it wil last I have some that is at least 5 years old and still works great when i need a fine glued line
Andy

Pete B

Registered
Hi,

I use the cheap toolstation ca. I can't remember where i got the idea from but it wasn't mine.
I keep it in the freezer hidden under some food thats been there for far too long.
It must be nearly 2 years old and seems to last exactly the same amount of time when in use as 'fresh' when i get a new bottle out.

Pete

mervyn cadman

If the cold gets to them Jim it will go hard the thick CA is more likely to go hard and it's the thick CA that most pen turners use.

Buy smaller ones Jim if it’s going to sit for a long time.

Merv

How stange is that I just read the other posts regards keeping ca in the fridge... that's got me thinking!:thinks::thinks::thinks:

Jim

Grand Master
If the cold gets to them Jim it will go hard the thick CA is more likely to go hard and it's the thick CA that most pen turners use.

Buy smaller ones Jim if it’s going to sit for a long time.

Merv

How stange is that I just read the other posts regards keeping ca in the fridge... that's got me thinking!:thinks::thinks::thinks:

I think the same Merv, why would it go off in the shed but not in the fridge .... :ciggrin:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).