• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

couple of 'Other' pens today...

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
Well......... was going to go outside and start a commission I've got for a pen and pencil set... but............. was there and fell over a pile of Roe heads I've got... and remembered Id started a pen in Roe antler that I hadn't finished..

Cut a long story short......... Finished the slimline with a bit of a beech blank I had. Im not sure on colour combination, as it went darker than I had anticipated. :bwink:

and was then going to start a commission I've got for apen and pencil set.......... but i started another part roe antler pen, then deceided to try a two tone top for it and get rid of a satin gold metal work set i seem to keep accumulating..

and ended up with a part beech, part African Blackwood, part roe antler pen... The family think its ok..

Basically the colour combinations are trials to see what woods and metals go with Antler, as I plan to offer a pen making service to fellow hunters wanting to make use of the head, if they are not going to mount it.

As with all my work, feedback appreciated, especially as these are trials, and I'm trying to get an honest opinion.

IMG_9853.jpg

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Hi mate, i really like the shape of the euro pen but i dont think the satin goes nice with the antler. Also the top barrel would look better if it had a diagnal cut for the glued joint instead of the straight vertical cut. The slimline pen is a favourite of mine and the mix you have with the two materials do go together ok. :thumbs:

Just my thoughts mate, nothing said with contempt. :bwink:

Also mate, can you tell me if the anter is similar to wood in the fact that you need to let it dry before turning, and how do you polish it? :nooidea:

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
Cheers Tony..

I wasn't sure about the gold........... wife and family like it :nooidea: I guess its down to personal opinion.

The antler you can just turn with out drying or curing, but its hard on tools, difficult to drill and hard to get square etc.. but i finished it with 180, 240, 400, 600 and plastic polish..... came out very well...

Jim

Grand Master
Got to agree with Tony, which i believe you already know Matty, that the accents don't seem to suit the antler. But great shape for sure. :thumbs:

The slimline barrels look a good match, so i would definitely use that combo again. :thumbs:

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
truth be known, I'm trying to get rid of the satin gold metal work.... I f^&%$ hate it...
But it sits in the bits box, and I'm trying add value to it , to get rid... I can sell a dozen gunmetal for every gold...... same for the satin Nickel shite, I've got left...

Ive had a bit of interest in them already so I might be getting rid... but gunmetal all the way for me...

Ive got a good few more antlers left for future works, and the bucks start again in April...:thumbs:

Thanks for the opinions, you reiterated my own thoughts.

Jim

Grand Master
Gunmetal and Chrome are my tops Matty, but i have no sets left of gunmetal until my next bulk buy. :goesred: Satin can look nice on the correct coloured material, but like you i tend to keep away from it if possible. :whistling:

Also i like the black accents of a slimline on very light wood ... :ciggrin:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Gold satin looks good on some light colours of corian. :thumbs: To me they dont look to bad. :thumbs:

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
I shoot my own Alan... I have never brought any..
My friend sells some of his, I keep my own...
If you want some I can ask him if he has any for sale?

Alan Moore

thanks mat i was asking as a general question as i have never seen any antler for sale, but it always nice knowing good folk like you can get your hands on some if it is required.

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
if you do ever need any, let me know, and Ill ask him...
I tend to keep my own, same as i wont sell venison.......... false economy.

Jim

Grand Master
How do you drill the antler that is not straight Matty, or should i say how do you drill the hole central on the curved antler? :thinks:

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
by eye......... its hit or miss.... i clamp in a drill vise and check, check, check..

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).