• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

lidded Jar

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
A mate posted up a little jar on twitter earlier on when I was having my tea which sowed the seed to go & turn one as I really enjoy turning little boxes.

Before I started I picked up my I-phone & took it in the shop to take a few snaps as I went along, I`ve not edited these as it takes long enough posting up a WIP, so bear with me on the quality of the photos.

I started with a 3" square blank 5" long held between centers, turned to a cylinder a spigot was cut on one end to fit my 2" jaws.

Held in the chuck the basic shape of the jar is cut along with the neck which will go inside the lid. The lid itself is rough shaped & a socket cut in the top of the lid for holding it on the chuck later.

The lid is parted off & put to one side while the inside of the jar is hollowed out.

Next the lid is held by pin jaws in the previously cut socket, the lid is hollowed out to fit the neck of the jar & sanded.

After which the lid is reversed on the pin jaws & the exterior shape cut & sanded.

The lid is removed from the chuck & checked again for fit, all that is left is for the body to be sanded & parted off.

Jar buffed & polished with carnauba wax.

Just to add there are many ways you could go about turning such an item, this is by no way a definitive way, just the way I go about it, hope it is of help.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Now that I like a lot almost makes me want to stop turning Christmas stuff and do one maybe I will tomorrow LOL we will see I have got 17 life bowls to make first oh its a hard life, you have got to love it well done Doug

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Spiffing little jar Doug ...thanks for the pics ,clears up a lot of 'How'de do that then' greenhorn thinkings:thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for this Doug, the final result is a beaut and i will surely use you way when making one of these .. :thumbs: Reminds me that i have a WIP PDF to make, now where was it .. :whistling:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Pictures are good Doug well explained and a lovely jar turn from it.
Do you drill with a Forstner before hollowing or straight in with hollowing tool?
I have Forstner bits upto 90mm maybe cheating but it does the job and saves my back a lot of work.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Thanks for the positive comments, makes it feel worthwhile :thumbs:

Do you drill with a Forstner before hollowing or straight in with hollowing tool?
I have Forstner bits upto 90mm maybe cheating but it does the job and saves my back a lot of work.

Yep, if you have a forstner bit that fits then use it, some like to drill a hole with something like a 10mm drill bit not only as a guide for the depth to hollow to but also to aid hollowing.
Anything that helps can`t be a bad thing & I don`t think of as cheating, whilst gaining good technique is I think a worthwhile pursuit , it`s not the be all & end all. For me it`s about enjoying what you're making not slavishly following technique, that will come in time with practice.

Jed Baxter

Registered
Very nice Doug and thanks for adding the pictures it really does help when you can look back at these for guidence. :thumbs:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
These are my hollowing tools.

The top one is a Sorby multi tip hollowing tool & was my first hollowing tool, I used it for several years but tend now to use it mainly for scraping the inside of vessels. The ability to move the scraper tip into different positions is quite handy.

The middle tool is my latest hollower & is made by Simon Hope, I really like this tool very easy & fast to use.

The bottom tool is my home made hollower which incorporates a Hamlet little brother cutting tip & shield. The link between the tip & the bar allows the head to be articulated so allowing undercutting, I find this type of cutter works best on wood that is not fully seasoned.

Close up of the head.

Which ever type of hollowing tool you go for I`d suggest you try before you buy, the pros can make any tool look impressive, ask around for other turners who have a hollowing tool & see if you can try it out for yourself, sometimes at demos they will let you try out the tools, don't be afraid to ask. Most hollowing tools/systems cost a lot of money, buying one you don't get on with can be an expensive exercise.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).