• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Looking to buy a scroll saw!

L33

First Name
Lee
Hi all,

Ive been wanting a scroll saw for a while now and due to the fact that I get a million and one off cuts on a regular basis now, I can't think of a better way to use them up than Intarsia.

Being new to this side of things, can anyone recommend a mid range machine? I know Axminster do a few types, but I've no idea if there are better or worse out there. Ideally £300 to £400 would be my budget. Want to get something decent but if there are decent ones out there for half that then bonus :)

Thanks in advance.

loftyhermes

First Name
Steve
Do you want new or second hand? If new then Axminster do a range of good trade rated saws , one is a Hegner clone, the others are Excalibur clones, a little over your budget I admit, never used one mind but they receive good reviews. If second hand then I would suggest looking for a Delta with the Quickset blade clamps, either a 40-540 type 2 which is variable speed or a 40-560 type 2 which is 2 speed. I have 2 560's and a 540.
happy scrolling
Steve

cookie21

First Name
Barry
I had an SIP that I bought from Toolstation, it packed up just after the warranty ran out with very little work, Sip were not at all interested in helping, so I would not not recommend going for a cheap saw

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I had a cheap Draper saw which I passed on to my daughter to play with and after much deliberation last year bought a Hegner Multicut 1 variable speed. Not an easy decision because they are expensive but I'm very happy with it. I cut out the segments to make the nautilus shell I posted recently and I'm in the middle of a number of jigsaws for my granddaughter which I never would have bothered to do on the cheap saw.

I bought mine direct from Hegner and negotiated a free quick clamp attachment which is well worth having.

S/h Hegners come up regularly if you're prepared to wait. The new Axminsters, similar to Excaliber though not identical, get some decent reviews but the original nylon bushes failed very quickly and are now being replaced with brass ones, I think as an FOC upgrade.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I had a cheap Draper saw which I passed on to my daughter to play with and after much deliberation last year bought a Hegner Multicut 1 variable speed. Not an easy decision because they are expensive but I'm very happy with it. I cut out the segments to make the nautilus shell I posted recently and I'm in the middle of a number of jigsaws for my granddaughter which I never would have bothered to do on the cheap saw.

I bought mine direct from Hegner and negotiated a free quick clamp attachment which is well worth having.

S/h Hegners come up regularly if you're prepared to wait. The new Axminsters, similar to Excaliber though not identical, get some decent reviews but the original nylon bushes failed very quickly and are now being replaced with brass ones, I think as an FOC upgrade.

I can echo the choice Wilma had for years a thing about making items and using I bought her total of five saws, the attachment for the Hegner is a great asset.

Peter.

L33

First Name
Lee
I'll have a look at the Hegner tonight and see what's on offer etc. One thing I did see today was a Record Power saw. It's a lot cheaper but I'm guessing quality could be an issue. But I do have a BS 350 bandsaw and that's pretty decent from RP so I'm not sure if anyone has experience of that model or not, but would be interested to know if it's a good or bad one. But the Hegner sounds promising...

loftyhermes

First Name
Steve
The Record saw is just a rebadged Chinese machine. The brass bushes Lons mentioned are on the Axminster AWFS18 Hegner clone not the Excalibur one I believe.
happy scrolling
Steve

Chisel_Wizz

Apprentice Member
First Name
Graeme
I have the AWFS18 hegner clone and can't fault it at all - would certainly recommend getting the quick release clamps from hegner though, definitely worth it!

loftyhermes

First Name
Steve
Variable or two speed is very handy at times, I would definitely choose that over single speed or foot control. As far as foot control go's I've never had it in over 20 years of using he saw, when I bought a Delta last year it came with one but I haven't got used to it yet so don't use it often. You must remember that if you get a saw with a NVR switch you'll have to bypass it to use the foot switch.
happy scrolling
Steve.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I agree with Steve you either start off with a foot switch or not after a while you develop your own methods. One of the painful things is blade changing, I had also bought two cheap Dremel Saws the blades were pinned and Wilma chose these every time because the blade change was a simple squeeze and return.

I also bought a Taiwan very large table with a deep throat she used a lot for large cuts. The Hegner was used seldom until the quick change was first introduced.

Our Wood Guild has a very active group, the group had three saws to enable newcomers to learn on, they made lots of mods to the tables (sit down) with Mag Lights , blade holders etc the way we customise our lathes.

For some years now I don,t go to the Club Shed its 30 km from my home and although it is fantastic and fully equipped I have all I need here.

As we speak the Guild Committee is extending the big shed, they have a Smithy separately, Wood Storage etc.

Reason I keep saying if you join a Club you can see learn and gain knowledge of product, equipment, choices of what to make. Here they have numerous special interest groups that meet independantly at the shed during the month. Way to go if you can especially in the learning, stages of development, how to price if you choose to sell. Finding out the going rates and a huge annual exhibition each year, a chance to learn how to sell and display as all sellers are required to man the sales tables.

I clearly remember Wilmas first Sewing machines were manual switching then when she got the foot control she never looked back. Bit like manual cars and automatic.

Before my Mum died she gave Wilma her Singer treadle operated machine, we still have that made in the early 1900,s still immaculate.

Peter.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Within your budget an other vote for second hand Delta if tou intend doing a lot of piecrcing fretwork (internal cuts) then a quick release lever is very handy this releases the tension on the blade and when you put the blade through the hole you have drilled you just do up the lever without haveing to retension the blade everytime which believe me is very handy here is a Delta on ebay

Delta scroll saw variable speed 40-560 type 2 and stand

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).