• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

sierra purple thing

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Thought I'd better try this plastics lark.
Sierra with some light purple monstrosity of a blank, swirls through it.
Wet & dry sanding with some anti scratch cream for a car from the pound shop & burnishing cream.

Attachments

• sierra purple thing 2.jpg
    sierra purple thing 2.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 51
  • sierra purple thing 1.jpg
    sierra purple thing 1.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 49

Jim

Grand Master
Nice job Steven, Purple Haze is popping up often of late ... :bwink:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well done Steven nice looking pen for plastic I knew we would get you in the end :funny::funny::funny::funny:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Steven,

You turncoat, its plastic, you'll upset Brian you know. Its thoroughly disgusting, if you find this urge to turn plastic remains untreatable you might want to try turning it on the Lucida Kit. The finished depth of plastic is much deeper than on the sierra, which in my opinion, makes the depth of colour in the acrylic really stand out, its around 2.5mm each side of the tube in the middle (or 8mm the way you turn them!). Try the micromesh, I'm not a great fan of the silly little foam back squares that the pen turning industry have seemed to have adopted, I prefer these : MICRO MESH / MICROMESH POLISHING KIT 9 SHEETS 6" X 4" | eBay. Find they are easy to use, last longer, are cheaper and dont catch on the edges. The small squares occasionally ended up with an edge of the stuff in contact with the pen which sometimes caught and exposed the foam backing to the rotating blank and then made a mess of the pad

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Glad you all like it, Paula likes it, the eldest daughter likes it, I think it's crap but there you go. The insipid colour is what puts me off, but as I got a pack of 5 different colours I picked the one I liked the look of the least '' just to have a go'' & practise on.
I think I prefer the darker more solid colours.
We shall see.

I'll get some micromesh as you suggest Neil.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Steven, You might want to consider painting the tubes on those other blanks - or the brass will show through.
Bob.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Funny enough - it does with me too! I've made a resolution since - as soon as the Sierras arrive - open the kits, grab the tubes, paint 'em all! That way they'll be dry by the time I get to use them!
Bob.:pray::pray::pray:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Kitchen Scouring powder, Toothpaste Then Talcum powder in that order all applied on a damp bit of kitchen towel.
No need for fancy expensive products.
Try it, it works extremely well, that's all we used in the factory to get all our plastic polished nobody ever complained about their shine.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Glad you all like it, Paula likes it, the eldest daughter likes it, I think it's crap but there you go. The insipid colour is what puts me off, but as I got a pack of 5 different colours I picked the one I liked the look of the least '' just to have a go'' & practise on.
I think I prefer the darker more solid colours.
We shall see.

I'll get some micromesh as you suggest Neil.

Tell the truth Steven you really like them but your trying to save face !!!!! LOL:funny::funny::funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).