• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Which Chisels to buy - Newbie

Derek33

Hi everyone, I am about to start in this hobby and have been gathering items to start, books, mandrel MT2, blanks, pen kits, barrel trimmer etc. Not bought the lathe yet but looking seriously at the Axminster AWSL Hobby series.

My question is which chisels to buy to start off with, this has probably been asked many times before, so happy to be directed to a previous thread.

I guess if asked my would budget would be up to £75 pounds, did look at the ones that Axminster were selling, the Crown Pen Making Tool Set.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Thank you
Derek

Jim

Grand Master
Hi Derek and welcome to the forums, you will find that your turning tools will grow the more you get into the hobby, along with everything else ... :winking: But for starters you could start off with the Record 3 Piece Pen Turning Set seen here Click Me!! the thing is a little later on you will want to upgrade so maybe looking at the same set as individuals may be better .. Good luck in this hobby, you will find it very rewarding ... :thumbs:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Welcome aboard Derek. As Jim says you could start with a pen turning set or you could just by a roughing gouge to get you going and build from there, I have turned quite a few pens just using a roughing gouge !!!!

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Hi Derek ...welcome.

I recently started turning pens too ..I bought the Axminster tungsten carbide set of three chisels ,sold as ' Ideal for making pens' they were very good up until they needed sharpening , but the tungsten carbide is so hard I haven't found out yet what to use to resharpen them properly .In the meantime the Clarke's 8 pc wood turning set (£17.99 from Machine Mart el al) was recommended to me .They are ideal for practising your sharpening skills on and perform well too, although if you are turning only pens you will only use a couple or three of them.

Regards

Ed

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Welcome Derek. I would echo Jims advice as a starter for pen making. The skew will take some getting used to but once mastered is very versatile and great for finishing pens. Take your time and be prepared for failures - its all part of the learning process. Ask loads of questions on here no matter how basic they are, you will receive loads of help and a bit of mickey taking is compulsory! Soon you will be like the rest of us - lying through your teeth to the wife in order to get another tool you don't really need. This again is compulsory. Have fun.

keith

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Hi Derek.

A whole industry has grown up based around selling turners things they don't need and lots of this is directed at pen makers. The only turning tool you actually need to make 99% of all pens is a roughing gouge. A skew chisel will give a better finish once you learn how to use it and reduce the need for sanding.

Personally I do all my pen turning with a 1 in roughing gouge and a 3/4 in oval skew and can see no point in buying piddly little "pen making" tools but that is just my opinion and others prefer the smaller tools.

My advice would be to buy a decent quality roughing gouge and skew chisel of a size that feels comfortable to you and get someone to show you how to use them properly. Only buy other tools as you find you need them. Tools from any of the major manufacturers such as Robert Sorby, Ashley Iles, Hamlet, Crown or Henry Taylor will be just fine as will own brands from Axminster and Record Power. Don't buy unbranded crap off e-bay.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I agree with Walter regarding the roughing gouge but at this stage I wouldn't consider a skew until your more proficient. Keep the money in your pocket.
As an example of what I mean if you look at my post from yesterday " Christmas Commission" that was done entirely with a 1in roughing gouge although the final cuts were done with the cutting edge re sharpened !!!!

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Derek,

Welcome to the site! I make virtually all my pens using a 1" scraper. It's not the only chisel to use, of course. Like the above posters say - do NOT buy crap!

Bob.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I only use a 1" continental gouge with the wings ground back for all my pen work from start to finish I just change the angle of the tool for finishing cuts I can tell you there will be a thousand and one answers to your question your best bet is to go along to a good dealer who you can trust and ask for some help in choosing and only buy what you feel comfortable holding if it is comfortable in your hand then you will perform well on the lathe but beware some will try and sell you a full set which you dont need
My recommendation would be one of the following and in this order 3/4" roughing gouge, a 1" continental spindle gouge, spindle gouge or my last choice would be
a short spindle gouge for penmaking and a 3/4" skew I hope this helps

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Welcome Derek my wife says I only have two faults, EVERYTHING I SAY AND EVERYTHING I DO so don't listen to me.
I won't tell you what to buy and I don't recommend anything but I started with a small set of penturners chisels.
3pce Pen Making Set - Crown Woodturning Chisels - Woodturning Tools - Shop
I still have them and still use them when the fancy takes me, like the others say you will develop your own skills and style and learn to know what suits you.
I use a flat blade for all my spindle work including most pens but that has developed over years of turning.
Best advise from me is as Walter and Woody say and don't buy cheap, go for a named brand new or used.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).