• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

1st pen order

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
My wife came home last weekend from a shopping spree telling me she had bumped into so and so in town, she somehow got on about me in the workshop turning pens, well this couple asked her if i could turn a pen from Iroko, the lads Granddad had given them a very large bench he had in his garden for an age. But they had made a table from it and had some pieces left over and wanted me to make as many pens from the pieces as possible to share with family members. I haven't seen the wood as yet so i can't tell you how many pens can be made from it?

This would be my 1st order, sort of chuffed. :ciggrin:

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
well done............

I sell quite a few, and its a bit of a mind switch..... especially when you 'have' to make them, rather than 'choose' to make them..

However, its catch 22, you cant afford to keep making them, unless you have a home for them..

Jim

Grand Master
Well done Tony, now you have an agent i see ... :whistling: Is she on commission? :ciggrin:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Thanks guys :thumbs: I agree matty sell to buy is a good motto :thumbs: Jim, you know she is on commission, 100% lol. :mooney2:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Tony, if you don't mind me asking - how much are you selling the pens for

I don't know mate, i haven't heard anything since last weekend so not sure if this is going to happen? To be honest im not sure i want it to happen just yet as i really need more practice making pens to good standards so i am a little nervous of making a few pens for someone who wants to pay me!!!!

What i do with the pens i make now is to give them to family and friends so i have never actually made a sale. :goesred:

What do you sell yours at mate?

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
I've been selling slim lines for £10 and Barons for £20 but I quoted these prices and took orders before I got the import tax bill so from now on its going to be £12 and £25 and see how they go. At the cheaper price I sold about 10 as xmas presents very quickly. What do you think is a fair price.
keith

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Yes i would go along with your prices, they seem fair and in line with what i have seen on ebay, thou if you look at the american ebay they tend to sell theres for more. The last order Jim and me got was all slimlines and barron pens, so we do have something in common. :bwink:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
I quite like the baron pens they look very good when finished and write beautifully. I made a couple today from mahogany and spalted beech. One will be sent to sussex and I'm taking the other to work on monday to see if it drums up any interest. I've taken photos and when the son is home from uni next week I'll get them posted here. I'm not the best with computers.

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
i sell slimlines with standard woods for £12... Fountain pens/pencils/ rollerballs £15 on standard woods...... up to £30 for a top notch special blank and special metal work

Jim

Grand Master
The prices i charge vary to what amount of effort has gone into making them, a slimline can range between £10-£15 and a barron from £15 -£30 .. I have sold others and again depending on the work involved. :thumbs:

Tony, your pens are definitely at a standard to sell and also i would go as far as saying to a standard where customers will come back, so stop worrying and let it happen. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).