• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A plonker bowl

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
John Smith and I indulged a bit to much before going into the workshop resulting in a plonker bowl :funny::funny::funny: enjoy the foot is 1" off center
I have taken more photos if anyone wants to know how its done he he he good fun
DSCF1659 (2).JPGDSCF1658 (2).JPGDSCF1661 (2).JPG

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
John Smiths is good ..but not that bloody good ...you little genius ...you !!:love_it:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
OK first you will have to make a reversing plate how big you make it depends on the size of your bowl my bowl is 9" x 3" so I made mine 8" x 1/2" it could have been a bit smaller and covered with 3 layers of an old towel
DSCF1638 (2).JPGDSCF1642 (2).JPGDSCF1644 (2).JPG
Once that is done you can start on the bowl these are done in reverse to an ordinary bowl by hollowing it out first my bit of wood was 3" thick so I hollowed it to 2" deep to allow for any damaged wood to be removed like were screws held the faceplate.
then remove about 1/3 to 1/2 of the outside following the shape of the inside please alow me time to do the next part as I can only upload 5 photos at a time
DSCF1650 (2).JPGDSCF1649 (2).JPG

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
All that you have done needs to be sanded and finished the inside , top rim and the part of the outside that is finished even though you will damage part of the finish on the outside
Now remove bowl and fix your reversing plate in your chuck place the bowl over it and bring the tail stock up this is were you will have to decide how good, brave or stupid you are the tailstock needs to be placed of center I took mine to the limit and it just balances on the foot which I took 1" of center normally 1/4" to 3/8" of center for the first bit you will have to slow your lathe down to about 500 to 700RPM
DSCF1652 (2).JPG
Now get it in balance then move it another 1/4" to 3/8" and get it balanced again and square of the base of the foot and shape the foot removing all screw holes
DSCF1653 (2).JPGDSCF1654 (2).JPG
you will now need to sand and finish which ever way you wish I used sanding sealer and buffed it on the lathe removed it from the lathe then removed the pip in the middle of the foot with a chisel were the tailstock was and then I applied a coat of paste wax left it for 20min and buffed by hand job done I hope you enjoyed and have fun making one and please show it if you do :thumbs::thumbs:
DSCF1659 (2).JPG

Jim

Grand Master
That is a beaut Woody, and you had me fooled for a minute too ... Great tutorial and one i am sure will be used by a few here .. :thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Pleased you all like it I now look forward to seeing your attempt and thank you one an all

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Not for me dad far to testicle and why would I want a bowl that the contents will spill out of?
Still love ya though.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).