• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Dewalt 1251 Radial Arm Saw

Jim

Grand Master
I have the chance of acquiring this Dewalt 1251 radial arm saw, i am going to have a look at it this weekend ... :thinks:

Dewalt_1251.jpg

The Wood Bucket

Radial arm saws are OK for rough cutting, but they have to much slop in the arm for any precision cutting. For me they take up too much room for what little I would use it.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Doubt that will go into your shed Jim? Whats making you go for this monster, last i heard you was going to get the tile cutter. :thinks:

Jim

Grand Master
Going through to my mates this weekend to see the machine after he has cleaned it up a little, my dilemma is that to bring this one back i will need to remove my mitre saw to make room ...

So i may have to sell this .. :down:

axminster_white_mitre_saw.jpg

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Not meaning to disagree with anyone, but I've been using a RAS for decades and when well set up there's no slop and its as accurate as any tool in the workshop. Most complaints about the RAS arise from using a poorly set up example, so if you do buy it, Jim, get a copy of the Mr. Sawdust book to aid setup.

Alan Moore

My brother has a radial saw and swears by it, it is the only saw he has and he dose lots of joinery work

Jim

Grand Master
Well i can look forward to the saw coming home tomorrow .. My mate has made some alterations to the stand so that it will fit into the space that has been allocated for it ... Also repaired the blade cover as this was hanging on a small piece of plastic ...:thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Not meaning to disagree with anyone, but I've been using a RAS for decades and when well set up there's no slop and its as accurate as any tool in the workshop. Most complaints about the RAS arise from using a poorly set up example, so if you do buy it, Jim, get a copy of the Mr. Sawdust book to aid setup.

Went to order the book David, but 20 bucks for postage .. :goesred: 2/3rds the price of the book ... :rolling:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Ouch! :down: I have a different book which covers setup, Jim. I'll try to scan and email over the next couple of weeks.

There's also a radial arm saw forum (try googling it) which you can post on for guidance and advice?

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks David, just that today i was testing it for cutting blanks and it was just off square, always on the bottom???

A bit of a beast Jim.

George, one of us will be tamed in the very near future, i am hoping that it is it!! :ciggrin:

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks Alex, yes i seen it along with every other Radial saw video .... :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Thanks for the link ... :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
May end up selling this machine ... :thinks: I thought that this was the answer to my blank cutting, but i now realise i kidded myself and that the bandsaw does all what i need ... :rolling:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).