• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Fun with Colours

Gav

Registered
First Name
Gavin
Had a play around with some spirit stains on the weekend.

Was going for a 'sunburst' effect as seen on many guitars, base wood was holly, so nice and light and took the stain well, but I found it quite fiddly to get the stain on, so does anyone out there have any experience of adding stains/colour to their pens?:thinks:

I used a clean cloth to add the stain, then sealed it. It's not a great example of a pen, but it was an experiment!

2013-10-09 08.09.40 - Copy.jpg

Your experiences welcomed!!

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Looks bloody good to me init.
With a hardwood like Holly apply the stain as you did with cloth, let it dry thoroughly then apply another coat, repeat process until desired affect is acheived.
for effect at the ends stand the wood in the stain and let it leech into the grain through capilliary action.
Leastways that's how I do it.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
The effect looks great Gav...I've stained many a piece of wood but not necessarily pen blanks ,Grumps recommendations are sound ,so keep on going ..practice makes perfect.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).