PDA

View Full Version : Competition idea 2

flexi
05-07-17, 19:02
Hi all i saw the last entry on my old thread and it has reminded me to flesh this one out...

How about 4 weeks to make a kit pen but it must not resemble the original kit.....change a component.....shape....stopped end turned.....
NO FAT SLIMLINES !!!

Phil please let me know if this is OK and how we could vote please....:thinks:

Buckeye
05-07-17, 20:42
If it's a kit pen, but not resemble the kit pen can it just be kitless? Voting could be the same way as it always is.

Peter

KevinMc
05-07-17, 20:54
If it's a kit pen, but not resemble the kit pen can it just be kitless? Voting could be the same way as it always is.

Peter

And that means in English for the newbie?........

Kevin

KevinMc
05-07-17, 20:57
Hi all i saw the last entry on my old thread and it has reminded me to flesh this one out...

How about 4 weeks to make a kit pen but it must not resemble the original kit.....change a component.....shape....stopped end turned.....
NO FAT SLIMLINES

Phil please let me know if this is OK and how we could vote please....:thinks:

All interesting...but in English for the newbies what does that mean...

Kevin

Phil Dart
05-07-17, 21:28
Hang on Kevin - English translation to follow - I'm not entirely certain waht it is that needs translating yet.

Voting is not an issue Mark - from my point of view I just need to click a few buttons on board the Mothership.

I think it's a great idea for a competition but maybe you could put your mind to pinning down a bit more tightly what you are expecting to see in an entry. Just how far do we need to go in order to make it qualify. What is expected and what is dis-allowed? Publishing vague rules from the outset will inevitably lead to many, many questions being posted and a poor uptake.

I'm sure others here will be able to contribute a couple of pennies worth to the converstaions, so lets see what can be done to make it work.

All comments welcome

flexi
05-07-17, 21:31
I think it means....get your thinking cap on....if this idea is accepted you will have"4 weeks to make and turn a pen which can be made from a kit, but looks different to how we would expect to see it."
Examples....a normal fountain pen with 'stopped end turning' ie the cap has an end made of wood and not a pushed fit component...or a 7mm kit with a tube made from an archery arrow or bullet case.....again a finished pen where you have a component left in the bag!!
Does this help Kevin

Phil Dart
05-07-17, 21:34
A pen based on a kit, but at the same time adapted in some way. Right?

KevinMc
05-07-17, 21:44
I think it means....get your thinking cap on....if this idea is accepted you will have"4 weeks to make and turn a pen which can be made from a kit, but looks different to how we would expect to see it."
Examples....a normal fountain pen with 'stopped end turning' ie the cap has an end made of wood and not a pushed fit component...or a 7mm kit with a tube made from an archery arrow or bullet case.....again a finished pen where you have a component left in the bag!!
Does this help Kevin

Yeh that's great ....I get it now...have no idea how I could get involved but hey ho... 4 weeks is ages well 2x2 weeks anyway ...lol.

flexi
05-07-17, 21:58
All you have to do is......think of a pen....create that pen....post a pic of that pen on the forum (on said link at said time) we all judge the entrys and fingers crossed....someone will win a small prize:ciggrin:

Penpal
05-07-17, 23:59
I will be in on this thought so far refined down to the above.

Peter.

Graham_C
06-07-17, 07:20
Sounds do-able for most I think :thumbs:

wm460
06-07-17, 07:53
4 weeks is ages well 2x2 weeks anyway ...lol.

Believe me, it will be here next week.:sob:

PetrolP
12-07-17, 20:50
So What's happened to Mark's idea for a competition for a kit pen that doesn't look like a kit pen ?
Is there enough flesh on the bones or is it an anorexic thought?!!

What can you do to a sierra ? a challenge to present that differently

Peter

Phil Dart
12-07-17, 21:05
So What's happened to Mark's idea for a competition for a kit pen that doesn't look like a kit pen ?
Dunno. flexi ??

flexi
12-07-17, 21:29
Tbh i was thinking this myself tonight....
Can we agree....
4 weeks to design and make a kit pen that dosen't look like the original kit...
So stopend pens, single barrel twist pens, pens made from other items ( i have done bullet cases, arrows,) Let the imagination flow and yes you can alter a Sierra!! Just no FAT slimlines...
The idea is to be inventive, whilst allowing everyone to enter and have a chance. I believe we can have a prize for this...if people are happy with this idea then please like this post and we can make this happen/ set a date .

Penpal
12-07-17, 21:39
If you rip off defining this to any make or kit to the simple statement it would sound more encouraging. I will participate even in our freezing time here.

Peter.

KevinMc
12-07-17, 21:39
As a newbie I still need to put that into google translate.....

maybe just sit it out..

:sob:

flexi
12-07-17, 21:51
Hi Kevin.....i am trying to be more encompassing to new turners i am just not a wordsmith.....
A stopped end Omega with a normal Omega.....or try making a new center band for a cigar pen which will also change its shape....does that help??

KevinMc
12-07-17, 22:04
Hi

Yep that helps
:banana:

Buckeye
12-07-17, 22:10
This is a competition that anyone could win from newbie to master, it's not rocket science. It just needs the firming up, have a look at 3 of the competitions from last year and you will get some ideas.

http://www.penturners.co.uk/penturners-competition-forum/18530-november-2016-competition-entries.html
http://www.penturners.co.uk/penturners-competition-forum/17972-september-2016-competition-entries.html
http://www.penturners.co.uk/penturners-competition-forum/17453-july-2016-competition-entries.html

Peter

Walter
13-07-17, 06:34
My only problem is the definition of fat slimline. This is made from a slimline and is fatter than a standard slimline. In or out?

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7386/16208581860_832789963f_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qGidFW)
IMG_0861 (https://flic.kr/p/qGidFW) by walter.hall (https://www.flickr.com/photos/16761603@N05/), on Flickr

flexi
13-07-17, 12:42
I love you Walter!!!....
I dont want to stop the use of 'any' kit and want to promote the thought process.....so slimline kits are in and modified slims are OK but if you take a 7mm slimeline and chuck a fat band on it AKA a streamline then no....i almost want to say ' you can use any kit you like, but you must leave something out? ie center band, nib, end cap...would that be more descriptive??:thinks::thinks:
But to answer your question Walter....it shows thought and does not look like the original slimline pen so.....yes

Damn this is hard!!

Dalboy
13-07-17, 13:14
Why not just say that any design pen can be made fat or thin as long as it contains at least say 50% of the original kit that you have chosen as the base of that pen surly that is a simple solution and when posting you must state what kit you used and blank as well as the changes you made and any special equipment like pin chuck or whatever. Why over complicate things.

Phil Dart
13-07-17, 13:26
A couple of other considerations you may wish to include Mark -

The Forum competitions usually stipulate that the work submitted must not have been published elsewhere before the closing date. You might wish to continue with that, or you might be be happy to allow work that may have been made several months or years ago. I know which I'd do but it really is up to you.

It's also usual to insist that no props are visible in the entry photos - simply because they are a huge clue as to the identity of the maker, and I'd strongly recommend that you stick with that one.

i almost want to say ' you can use any kit you like, but you must leave something out? ie center band, nib, end cap...would that be more descriptive??:thinks::thinks:

Here's a kit with the nib left out. Does that count? :devil:

Penpal
13-07-17, 22:30
Derek an apart pic would show what is inside a pen, not in favour of a how to on any competition pen, also keeping it free of monologues. Liked the three pic approach used in previous competitions also Phils statement must be new and not previously shown. Peters look back to used rules could save misinterpretation. No restrictions on any kit opens it up broadly.

EG a pen made from two Dental handpieces that used the two brasses and winding mechanism of a Slimline. Made for a Dental Technician.

Peter.

wm460
13-07-17, 23:10
A couple of other considerations you may wish to include Mark -

The Forum competitions usually stipulate that the work submitted must not have been published elsewhere before the closing date. You might wish to continue with that, or you might be be happy to allow work that may have been made several months or years ago. I know which I'd do but it really is up to you.

It's also usual to insist that no props are visible in the entry photos - simply because they are a huge clue as to the identity of the maker, and I'd strongly recommend that you stick with that one.

Here's a kit with the nib left out. Does that count? :devil:

Your on a winner there Phil, uses invisible ink?:funny: