• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Sorby Deluxe Universal Sharpening System - Any good ?

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Hi,

Wondered about this jig, anyone have any experience of it ?

Before you say get the Pro edge or a T7 , PO approval will not be forthcoming from Finance Director.

Pete B

Registered
Hi,

I have one the director of finance (made me smile) bought me for a xmas a couple of years ago and its great.
Set angles and if you want an angle not available it can be locked off at any angle, don't know whether it was designed for this but tu works.

Pete

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I used to have one and I liked it. It worked well for all kinds of different gouges and grind shapes.

Now I have a Tormek bench grinder mounting set so I can use all my Tormek jigs with my bench grinder but that is just so I can go straight from grinding on the dry grinder to honing on the Tormek without changing the jig. The Sorby was just as effective at getting a good shape and a sharp edge.

Walter

Bluefoxy

I saw one demonstrated at an exhibition and purchased one there and then. I haven't looked back since. I now sharpen like a professional.

Ray

naxie

Registered
I agree with the above, I'm similar to Walter, the Sorby works great with the grinder and gives easily repeatable grinds. Its now been superseeded by a tormek but I'm still waiting to get / make the tormek bench grinder jig. You certainly don't want to be using the Tormek to grind new profiles!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).