• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Statesman Damascus Steel M3

Pete B

Registered
Hi,
M3 metal Damascus Steel on a black titanium statesman, i changed the two tone gold nib for a medium polished steel Jowo as i thought the gold clashed, and its a better nib anyway. Never turned this before even though i have had it for quite a while. It turned easily and all done with a skew. I could smell the resin. I didn't use the tiny pots of two part polish supplied and after sanding to 1000, my usual plastic polish did the rest. No wax or anything as apparently it pattinates like steel, not sure about that, but i suppose it would if its just metal dust in resin. Not quite sure what it exactly is so i will nip off and check.
Just noticed a few scratches on the barrel in the picture that i missed so it could do with a re finish but would love to know what you think. I was a bit scared of it as its not cheap stuff and was bought from America a while ago.

Regards

Pete

Damascus steel.jpg

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I have hear of this stuff Phil and fancy having a go with it when I'm a bit more experienced . Looking at yours makes me want to have a go at it now .. yours looks great . Think you did right with the Jowo..... looks much more balanced plus they are belting nibs.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Well pete I think it looks pretty damn good.
A bit lean on the cap flange but that could be the angle of shot or its under the resin at that point.
I would be very suprised if it is Dmascus steel for real and not a lookalike.
I have Damascus steel blades that are reputed to be the toughest steel known to man by the method of creation.
Many fold folds of forged steel giving each a unique pattern.
Still looks a great mans pen and would be mighty heavy with all that steel in it.

Pete B

Registered
Hi Grump,
its not real Damascus steel i wish it was, its called m3 metal, there are lots in the range. Its not cheap compared to other blanks. I think its basically a composit blank made in a similar way to other blanks. They are different though.
TB and Vince both sell it now.
The full range is here M3 Metal Pen Blanks Turn on Wood Lathe

Regards and thanks for the comments

Pete

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Hi Grump,
its not real Damascus steel i wish it was, its called m3 metal, there are lots in the range. Its not cheap compared to other blanks. I think its basically a composit blank made in a similar way to other blanks. They are different though.
TB and Vince both sell it now.
The full range is here M3 Metal Pen Blanks Turn on Wood Lathe

Regards and thanks for the comments

Pete

Thanks for the link, that is one I have not seen before.
I will take a good look at that when I am not working
I did wonder how you were turning Damascus steel with wood turning tools ans was surprised by the header.
Super looking pen though take nothing away from that init?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
That is one very nice pen I remember seeing this stuff some time ago but I couldn't justify the price for me not for a hobby use anyway

Jim

Grand Master
That is one cracking pen Peter, a good choice with the nib change too .. :thumbs: Love how you have done the picture ... :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).