PDA

View Full Version : Drilling Pen Blanks

Jim
21-01-13, 21:43
I find that drilling the pen blanks on my lathe i have very little issues which i got using the pillar drill. I turn most of my blanks round before i drill them. The blanks i don't turn round are made of corian. I use a colt drill and can usually do one pass through the blank running at 800rpm ...

How do you drill your blanks? ... :thinks:

http://www.penturners.co.uk/misc/images/1/lathe_drilling.jpg

The Wood Bucket
22-01-13, 00:51
I do mine the same way. I don't turn them round first but drilling on the lathe is so much easier and more precise. :thumbs:

Alan Moore
22-01-13, 13:02
i use an hand held vice and my drill, it works most of the time.

yorkshireman
22-01-13, 18:00
I've never tried drilling on the lathe, its something I'll have a go at shortly. For me its easy to use the bench drill and a hand held vice - as long as I take it easy that is.

ataylor
22-01-13, 19:11
I also use a bench drill and a trusty bench vice. This method is hit a miss, the best results are when the blank is totally square. :thumbs:

Mattyd
25-01-13, 06:49
as above, drill vice, and a drill stand..... Crap results.... but I dont have a lathe chuck...

ataylor
28-01-13, 20:59
That's a good idea Jim, turning them round before drilling, i will start to do this as i lose quite a few blanks with the hole to near the side of the blank. I get really nervous when i have spent a few quid on a decent blank only to toss it in the bin. :rolling:

Jimjam66
29-01-13, 08:08
I'm another who doesn't have the kit to drill on the lathe, which got me thinking about Longworth chucks. The tail stock drill chuck is pretty cheap (£11 at Axminster), but the headstock chuck is big $$$. Has anyone here built a Longworth chuck, and if so do you have any tips?

David

Alan Moore
29-01-13, 13:21
i ment to say i use an hand held drill and a vice

The Wood Bucket
29-01-13, 15:08
I'm another who doesn't have the kit to drill on the lathe, which got me thinking about Longworth chucks. The tail stock drill chuck is pretty cheap (£11 at Axminster), but the headstock chuck is big $$$. Has anyone here built a Longworth chuck, and if so do you have any tips?

David

I have not built a longworth Chuck, but a friend of mine has. That chuck would not help with the drilling of the blanks. It would not go small enough. Also the Longworth chuck is only made for taking very light cuts or sanding and is designed for only finishing off the bottom of a piece that you turned either on a faceplate or with a tenon in a 4 jaw chuck. They are great to have, but they have a purpose. Right now I use my Cole Jaws to finish bowls.

The Wood Bucket
29-01-13, 15:10
Here is a link to making a Longworth Chuck

How To Make A Longworth Chuck | Woodworker's Guide (http://www.woodworkersguide.com/2010/10/17/how-to-make-a-longworth-chuck/)

ataylor
29-01-13, 19:45
Thats a nice link TWB, but it lost me with all the lines lol :devil:

ataylor
29-01-13, 20:38

David

I Can't better the reply from Gary regarding the Longworth David, but depending on what lathe you have you could try this Click Me (http://www.penturners.co.uk/your-tips-jigs/73-sassafras-handle-drill.html) for drilling on the lathe. :nooidea:

Jimjam66
29-01-13, 20:49
Thanks WB and Tony. I wondered whether the Longworth would be strong enough, seeing as its made of wood or Perspex. Of course, you're right that it might not close to a small enough diameter to grab a pen- blank either. D'oh!

Tony, thanks for the link. Fiendishly clever idea. I did something similar to create two 'pads' that fit into the head and tailstock tapers so that I can press kit parts into the pen tubes on the lathe. Might be too wasteful of precious blanks to turn a taper for jam-fitting to drill, though? Unless I'm missing your point ...:thinks:

David

ataylor
29-01-13, 21:07
No i pointed you to that link of Jim's to show you that you could turn down a blank to fit into the spindle to drill the hole for the pen barrel, there is no waste mate. :thumbs:

Jim
29-01-13, 21:19
To drill the hole for the handle i turned the Sassafras to a size so that it would fit into the bore of the Spindle on the head stock ...

To do this depends on the lathe you have, i actually turned this to the size of my spindle thread as it was about the same size i had in mind for the handle ... :bwink:

Jimjam66
30-01-13, 17:42
No i pointed you to that link of Jim's to show you that you could turn down a blank to fit into the spindle to drill the hole for the pen barrel, there is no waste mate. :thumbs:

Right, think I've got you Tony. Will give it a try and report back! Will have to order a drill chuck from Axminster first, though ... What excuse for the wife THIS time? :thinks:

ataylor
30-01-13, 19:00
What excuse for the wife THIS time? :thinks:

They have just come out with a new product called a chuck love, and if i get it now i can save £20 before it hits off and everyone will want one. Hope this helps mate. :ciggrin:

Old Corky
29-06-13, 07:27
I don't know if you have a Harbor Freight Tool store or the equivalent (Cheap imported tools) in England, but I purchased a 5 speed bench drill press from them a couple of years ago, priced at $69.00 and have with no problems drilling blanks. That's cheaper than a good electric hand drill and a whole lot more accurate.

Old Corky

wm460
29-06-13, 08:28
a new product called a chuck love,

I Google this and some of the links would make a sailor blush.

stevenw1963
29-06-13, 10:40
Pillar drill & engineers vice with blank centering jig in it.

Terry
29-06-13, 12:22
I use the Sorby pen blank drilling jaws in the lathe. Holes spot on everytime!!!!!:thumbs:

Neil
29-06-13, 19:24
Pillar drill, double face closing vice and a centering jig, drill blanks in batches of twenty at a time and never had a problem.

wm460
30-06-13, 00:08
I do some on the lathe and some on the drill press, I don't believe in discrimination. :ciggrin:

mervyn cadman
30-06-13, 05:01
Hi all well at first I used a heavy pillar drill for drilling all my blanks and had great results and used that method for years I tried drilling blanks on my Nova DVR 3000 and the results where terrible so I went back to the pillar drill then I got this lathe the JWL 1220VS used the same chucking system and the results a 100% better, I cannot fault the Colt drills they are well worth the money.

So my pillar drill now is sitting there doing nothing - just wounding if itís worth keeping.

Merv

Jim
30-06-13, 06:55
I have a Nova DVR XP Merv, which i drill all my blanks on, some i turn round mainly the Burr's, others as square all using the 4 long pinned jaws with great success .. I also got rid of my pillar drill as it became redundant and took up valuable space ... :ciggrin:

yorkshireman
30-06-13, 07:06
So my pillar drill now is sitting there doing nothing - just wounding if itís worth keeping.

Merv

Merv you've got this penturning thing all wrong. The whole idea is to have as many tools as possible even of you don't need them. Sit down and have a nice cup of tea and the feeling will soon pass and then you'll be reaching for the axminster catalogue. Trust me I know.

keith

Jim
30-06-13, 07:10
Merv you've got this penturning thing all wrong. The whole idea is to have as many tools as possible even of you don't need them. Sit down and have a nice cup of tea and the feeling will soon pass and then you'll be reaching for the axminster catalogue. Trust me I know.

keith

That just sounded as thou i was reading a page from my autobiography ... :ciggrin:

mervyn cadman
30-06-13, 07:10
Hi Jim great lathe mate the Nova I have the first model with the out rigger, I think mine might be slightly off centre maybe why it was causing me problems with drilling, I might have to make my pillar drill redundant too Jim and yes space would be used with something else but the day I get rid of it will be the day I need it.

While we're on the subject Jim I'm just re-edited a video clipping that I'm uploading to Youtube as we speak - the video is drilling on the lathe testing the Colt drill with timber blanks and resing as soon as it's done I will post it here if you like Jim.

Merv

mervyn cadman
30-06-13, 07:17
LOL - Keith I agree mate but I have one of those things called a wife, she's the one who do the accounts so it's a little hard to get new tooling - unless I sack her!:thinks::thinks::thinks::mooney2:

Terry
30-06-13, 07:33
That just sounded as thou i was reading a page from my autobiography ... :ciggrin:

Ditto!!!!!:whistling::whistling::whistling:

yorkshireman
30-06-13, 08:02
LOL - Keith I agree mate but I have one of those things called a wife, she's the one who do the accounts so it's a little hard to get new tooling - unless I sack her!:thinks::thinks::thinks::mooney2:

The one thing we'll never beat Merv is petticoat management and I've been trying for 25 years. I've been with the wife so long she's starting to feel like one of the family.

keith

Jim
30-06-13, 08:25
While we're on the subject Jim I'm just re-edited a video clipping that I'm uploading to Youtube as we speak - the video is drilling on the lathe testing the Colt drill with timber blanks and resing as soon as it's done I will post it here if you like Jim.

Merv

Please do Merv, the colt drills are superb, i do all my 7 and 10mm with these bits, thou on the odd occasion i have been a little hasty with resin or acrylics and melted rather than cut ... Then had to spend a while removing the stuck gunge from the end of the drill ... :ciggrin:

wm460
30-06-13, 09:07

keith

SO true. :thinks:

Penpal
30-06-13, 09:15
Jim, If this sounds familiar dismiss it however using a Pillar Drill and an X Y axis vice fitted with metal jaws that have a full horizontal double Vee horizizontal and three vertical Vees in Metal available in the USA (I found them again a few mths ago and my mate bought the jaws can get the details from him) but easily made in hard wood. If you could see my blanks especially cut from burl and Olive where I chase the grain using the bandsaw they can be very irregular. I have cut up to 100 at a time pairs of 1/2 inch square Corian and drilled them centred by eye successfully in batches one after the other in fact I leave the drill run for the whole process, I never use wood under the blanks nor have splits etc have drilled 400 timber sets in a session only use drill point drills that run true cost little and sharp as and throw away for around five our dollars cheap as chips.

For at least 18 yrs used my method having exhausted all so called easier methods same old pillar drill dedicated to the Pens. Amortised in .000 per pair IMHO. I can drill more than 10 my way while you round one then drill yours. Anything in pens that is repetitive is broken down to simple and best practice for me. Its all in the Vee jaws.

Longworth chucks were made en mass by our Wood Guild so many years ago as a group project. Now one Saturday at a mates place he fired up his Longworth Chuck at 3000 revs with a fair number of us it sounded like a V2 Rocket he switched it off quickly tried to slow it down cut his hand it slowed spun off tore his shirt and chest breaking his Sternum so dear readers if you as much as contemplate this most useful Chuck make sure you have a grub screw to hold it onto the base on the stem. Horrible experience never for the faint hearted or drilling blanks.

Please stay safe Peter.

mervyn cadman
30-06-13, 09:16
Ok Jim here we go got the video edited and uploaded to my Youtube chanel took about two hours to upload it so hope you all enjoy - I have also put a link in the video for people to come to the forum.

Merv

Testing the Colt drill bit

tesing-colt 7mm - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58x3ncTqJmM&feature=share&list=UU5vwm5mgKjySOSc1RAojyAg)

Jim
30-06-13, 09:42
That is an excellent video Merv, and a big thank you for the link, it is very much appreciated ... :thumbs:

Regarding the colt drill i have used two in as many years of the 7mm one and i have had the same 10mm over the same period. I use 800rpm on the resins and acrylics, thou i did go in at 1500rpm when i first bought them, but i have reduced this due to the melting issue i mention above. Wood at 500rpm .. The oily woods do congeal the drill and i have to retract the drill much more with these woods, if you don't it does make the drill hole slightly larger ... But as you say in the video, they do a great job... :thumbs:

ataylor
30-06-13, 11:28
I have a 7 mm colt drill and agree it drills as thou its going thru butter. :thumbs:

Old Corky
30-06-13, 19:11
I don't know if you have Harbor Freight stores or the equivalent (Cheap imported tools) in England but I bought a 5 speed bench drill press for $69.00 two years ago and have had no problems drilling blanks. That's cheaper then a good hand drill.
I also use their 1 in. x 30 in. Belt Sander to square blank ends $39.99, works great.

Old Corky

Walter
30-06-13, 19:57

David

Yep, and wrote a magazine article about it. It is available on line here (http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/page.asp?p=1417)

Any questions just ask and I will help any way I can. :thumbs:

Walter

rowdyyates115
17-07-13, 22:57
I drill mine on the lathe, still square and so far its been pretty accurate...:ciggrin:

Neil
18-07-13, 06:51

David
David, haven't checked out the axminster catalogue but suspect that this price doesn't include the morse taper arbor. Check out props brothers here. Proops Brothers Limited Drill Chucks Drill Chucks (http://www.proopsbrothers.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Drill_Chucks_47.html).

Haven't built a longworth chuck, nor ever felt the need to, it wouldn't help with blank drilling unless there is another longworth chuck that isn't used for turning off mounting spigots.

Neil
18-07-13, 07:03
Drilled thousands of blanks, always using a pillar drill and centre ring v jaws. Never had a problem, only if I am too hasty and force the drill or have been too lazy and haven't sharpened or replaced the drill bit. Drilling on the lathe too damn slow.

Jim, what do you achieve by rounding the blank before drilling on the lathe?

Jimjam66
18-07-13, 07:36
David, haven't checked out the axminster catalogue but suspect that this price doesn't include the morse taper arbor. Check out props brothers here. Proops Brothers Limited Drill Chucks Drill Chucks (http://www.proopsbrothers.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Drill_Chucks_47.html)

Neil, that's exactly where I ended up buying mine! £9 including an MT 2 arbour if memory serves. Bargain!

Jimjam66
18-07-13, 07:40

Funny, I've been thinking about doing this in future! My reasoning: using drive centre and live centre I can get as near as dammit to the 'true' centre of the blank along its length. Then when clamping and drilling (on lathe) it increases the chances of being very close to central. Since I do a fair bit of segmenting (as does Jim) getting the hole to run central along its length is a whole lot more critical than with a plain wood blank.

Bluefoxy
18-07-13, 13:15
I hold the blanks (square) in pin jaws in the lathe chuck and very rarely have a problem but I no longer use the colt drill as for me it's too long and it tends to whiplash. Never had any problems with ordinary bits turned at about 500 rpm and withdrawn at regular intervals. In truth drilling the blanks is probably the most difficult operation in pen making so it's worth taking a bit of extra time.

Ray

silver
18-07-13, 16:14
I use both methods. not got a preference really.

Terry
18-07-13, 16:14
I hold the blanks (square) in pin jaws in the lathe chuck and very rarely have a problem but I no longer use the colt drill as for me it's too long and it tends to whiplash. Never had any problems with ordinary bits turned at about 500 rpm and withdrawn at regular intervals. In truth drilling the blanks is probably the most difficult operation in pen making so it's worth taking a bit of extra time.

Ray
I agree entirely with what you say Ray!!!!

naxie
18-07-13, 17:08
I used to really struggle with drilling blanks properly, I have a donated Draper drill with only a 50 mm travel. To be honest that's why I only ever turned a couple of pens when I got my lathe. A few months ago I was given an old Tauco pillar drill circa 1940 with a real Jacobs chuck. It was in a sorry state, still needs a bit of work and a piece or two making to get it back to its former glory but it is by comparison extremely accurate. It also has around 3 1/2" of travel. Now the drilling is easy, right speed, sharp bit and I'm away.

Now it's everything else about turning pens I struggle with. :goesred:

Jim
18-07-13, 18:04

Funny, I've been thinking about doing this in future! My reasoning: using drive centre and live centre I can get as near as dammit to the 'true' centre of the blank along its length. Then when clamping and drilling (on lathe) it increases the chances of being very close to central. Since I do a fair bit of segmenting (as does Jim) getting the hole to run central along its length is a whole lot more critical than with a plain wood blank.

I don't do this all the time, i am selective on what blanks i choose to turn round before drilling. As David points out it increases the chances of being very close to central this decreases the chance of ruining a decent blank... :bwink:

Woody
18-07-13, 18:36
I have been using an engineers pillar drill with a cross vice and a small set square to get the blank upright I have used this system for over 20 years without any problems whatsoever but now I have a much smaller workshop I am going to start drilling on the lathe which I always found took a lot longer than using a pillar drill but thats me happy turning

clumsysod
18-07-13, 19:01
I don't do this all the time, i am selective on what blanks i choose to turn round before drilling. As David points out it increases the chances of being very close to central this decreases the chance of ruining a decent blank... :bwink:

Now that is what I call a good tip, especially useful on segmented blanks, one I will certainly try if I can remember it when I wake up.

Neil
20-07-13, 16:15

Segmenting - get the drift (pun totally intended) worth drilling on the lathe to get the hole down the middle. Never dabbled with this so hadn't reasoned with this logic but I am about to acquire a fox thicknesser/planer for a very good price and want to have a crack at it so thanks for the tip!

Jim
20-07-13, 18:19
Segmenting - get the drift (pun totally intended) worth drilling on the lathe to get the hole down the middle. Never dabbled with this so hadn't reasoned with this logic but I am about to acquire a fox thicknesser/planer for a very good price and want to have a crack at it so thanks for the tip!

Neil, a planer/thicknesser is top of my to buy list once i get the lean-to finished, just to assist with segmenting ... :bwink:

sbwertz
20-07-13, 22:07
Most of the time I use the drill press and a self centering dedicated pen vice. If I have a blank under 3/4" (20mm) I drill it on the lathe. Also I do antler on the lathe.

nimrod
07-08-13, 22:25
I have been having some problems with drilling blanks with the drill running off centre from end to end. So I thought I would try turning them prior to drilling, I bought a 3/8 4 prong drive from Axminster, marked the centre of the of both ends of the blank, mounted the blank between the prong drive and a revolving centre turned them to size. After they had been cut to length I mounted them in a self centring chuck and drilled them and they are spot on. Thanks for the tip Jim

edlea
07-08-13, 22:41
When i was setting up shop a month or so back it was a toss up between a cheaper pillar drill ( which I thought wouldn't be accurate or reliable ) or a dedicated Pen blank chuck, for using on the lathe. I chose the chuck and I'm glad I did ..perfect centralised holes every time ....so far !!!