• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Turning bottle stoppers

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Other than The Wood Bucket, which i can't see now in the gallery does anyone else turn bottle stoppers? I have got a bottle stopper kit which i bought from Turners Retreat last year, think it cost me nearly £9 :eeeeek: (robbing git) not sure what to use on it thou, i have seen some beautiful stopper blanks in the USA which i dont see here in the UK. I need a good piece of material for this stopper, i mean £9 wouldn't you want it to look good. :devil:

The Wood Bucket

Other than The Wood Bucket, which i can't see now in the gallery does anyone else turn bottle stoppers? I have got a bottle stopper kit which i bought from Turners Retreat last year, think it cost me nearly £9 :eeeeek: (robbing git) not sure what to use on it thou, i have seen some beautiful stopper blanks in the USA which i dont see here in the UK. I need a good piece of material for this stopper, i mean £9 wouldn't you want it to look good. :devil:

All the galleries need to be rebuilt since the forum update. Haven't had time to get it done yet. Wine stops can be fun. I normally do not start with an preconceived vision of what the finished product will look like. I usually find the blank I like and load it on the lathe. Then I let it tell me what it wants to look like.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I have turned a few stoppers myself in the past, but i dont recall paying as much as 9 quid thou? I think i only got 3 quid each when i sold them lol. :rolling:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
This looks very interesting to make its a PDF made by craft supplies.

The Wood Bucket

I plan to do some more of these. I have done one like this using brass filings and CA, but it sold the same day. Don't know if I got any photos of it. I will look and if I have some I will post them.

Jim

Grand Master
This looks very interesting to make its a PDF made by craft supplies.

Nice link Tony, and easy to follow tutorial. :thumbs:

I plan to do some more of these. I have done one like this using brass filings and CA, but it sold the same day. Don't know if I got any photos of it. I will look and if I have some I will post them.

Hope you have some pictures Gary, i have only made a few of these nothing special, seeing the stoppers you have added earlier will give us good ideas. :whistling:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
It may not be a good phote mate but it shows the class in this stopper. :thumbs: How deep do you go with the filling btw? :thinks:

The Wood Bucket

It may not be a good phote mate but it shows the class in this stopper. :thumbs: How deep do you go with the filling btw? :thinks:

Thanks. I think I went about 1/8" deep. I shaped the entire stopper and sanded it as if that was all I was going to do. Then I used a forstner bit to drill into the end while it was still on the lathe. Then I took it off the lathe and stood it straight up and I filled the hole with the dry brass filings. Then I added thin CA. After it dried I put it back on the lathe and shaped it with a very sharp skew and micro mesh. Then I finished it off with a walnut oil/shelac/canuba wax frichion polish. The wood is Madagascar Ebony.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Thats a quality stopper TWB, is it cocobolo? The gold looks good in that wood you have used. :thumbs:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I got myself a couple of stoppers mid week, so i will have a go at making one, half as good as yours mate i would be pleased. :bwink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).